mtbr member

2013 S-Works Epic SRAM

What's everyone think of the new 2013 S-Works Epic SRAM being 1X11? I was planning to buy a frameset and build one up XTR (I don't like the colors of the XTR full builds), but I'm seriously considering the SRAM one now. I currently have a S-Works Stumpjumper with SRAM and aren't happy with the front derailleur or the brakes, which is why I was leaning towards XTR. Since they went 1x and changed the brakes, I'm leaning towards the SRAM build. Thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Some Thoughts:

Thinking along the same line upgrade to a 1 x 11 or 2 x 11?

Like the sram rear deraileur clutch idea for chain slap; however, the 1 x 11 is on the light side of XC, many of times I have been in the large front chain ring climbing, until the unexpected nasty hairpin turn, root poping out of the ground or just no leg left and glad I had the smaller instant shift down to the smaller front chain ring to save me, being cliped in and all and just make it up the climb.. I set up the rear to be somewhere in the middle gear, just in case I have to drop to the small ring on the climb...just one shift....I couldn't see climbing as well with the 1 x 11, to many shifts, shifting at the wrong time, chain under load, could break a chain, more were and tear on the chain ring, premature wear, or I could be wrong, Sram might have the perfect front rear set up...I hadn't tried it....I didn't like a 29er until I found the Specialized Eipc and I had ridden a few...So for now just looking from the outside trying to look N...some real feedback would be great....These were just some thoughts.

Sup
    you can't do 2x11
    the rear deraileur will not allow it
    it can only handle about a 4 tooth range if I read everything correctly

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if I can take the wheels off my 2012 S-works Stumpjumper and use them on a 2013 S-works Epic? I've heard the spacing in the rear is different but wanted to know if anyone could verify.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If they are 135mm you can buy 142mm end caps to fit.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ttusomeone View Post
    Does anyone know if I can take the wheels off my 2012 S-works Stumpjumper and use them on a 2013 S-works Epic? I've heard the spacing in the rear is different but wanted to know if anyone could verify.
    If its a Stumpy HT that is a 135mm spacing and the Epic is 142 so you would need the hub adaptors which would make them work fine. If its a Stumpy FSR, that is already 142 so they can be used on the Epic without changing anything.

Sup
    I used the dt swiss kit for the 240 axle
    I use the same wheels on my stumpy single speed and fsr

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think if you have the legs the 11-speed Sram is awesome! Had the chance to ride one at Eurobike and I can see it making a lot of sense for some people. But like everything that is niche, not everyone will get it.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm really intrigued with the 11-speed but am not completely sold on if I'll like it or not. I've done the calculations on the gearing and know I will only be losing a little on the top end and bottom end, but still not sure. I would like to ride one before I make a choice but I doubt that's going to be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyinsydney View Post
    I think if you have the legs the 11-speed Sram is awesome! Had the chance to ride one at Eurobike and I can see it making a lot of sense for some people. But like everything that is niche, not everyone will get it.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Yeah I'm really intrigued with the 11-speed but am not completely sold on if I'll like it or not. I've done the calculations on the gearing and know I will only be losing a little on the top end and bottom end, but still not sure. I would like to ride one before I make a choice but I doubt that's going to be possible.
    Yes, it is remarkable how little you lose wen you actually work out the gearing. I went through this anal retentive thing when I went 2x10 and in practice I've not noticed any downside at all.

Actually when my last chain was on its last legs and during a wet ride, I couldn't use the small chain ring at all which forced me to do my 2-hour XC loop in the big ring. Never noticed it at all. ;-)

Looking at the Olympic XC - all the top riders all looked like they were on 1x11 SRAM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you don't have it, you don't miss it.

I agree, its amazing what gear combo you can push when its not an option to go easier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I encourage all to give a 1x a try. Since going that route I've never looked back and do not struggle up hills at all. In fact I still don't use all my gearing!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    The more I look at the SRAM 1x11 setup the more I think that's the way I want to go. I'd still really like to ride this bike before buying it so I'm going to have to see if I can find a demo model around anywhere once they are released.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Did the same calculations myself.
    I wonder if the feeling would be the same as when I moved from 3x9 to 2x10... a.k.a. not that much of an issue for loosing a bit on the upper and a bit on the lower... made me stronger on the bike... we'll see. As is, not sure when those SRAM based EPIC's are going to be shipping since I do not see SRAM shipping their XX1 as of yet.

Ofir

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I decided to go 1x10 due to concerns regarding the 1x11 availability.
    MCH Co-Captain