Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernVelo View Post
    Looks good. Let me know how the fork works out for you. Just installed a new Lyrik RC2L on mine. A few more parts and ill be ready to post some pics.

Also, I spoke with Cane Creek customer service and they're sending me the missing LSC lever.
    Cool. I will. I thought about the lyrik and still may depending on the 34 fairs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You are final got your Enduro aappling! I'm jealous! I remember somebody saying they weren't gonna go with Fox or XX1 for the build. haha Looks good man.
    Once the build is finished you need to make your way back up here and we can give Farlow another try. ;-)

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    You are final got your Enduro aappling! I'm jealous! I remember somebody saying they weren't gonna go with Fox or XX1 for the build. haha Looks good man.
    Once the build is finished you need to make your way back up here and we can give Farlow another try. ;-)
    Ha!!! Hey man. Yeah I know. Still messing with the 34 Float. It feels good but haven't found anything better at this weight. Was hoping Xfusion would have something out but they are a ways out yet. So we'll see. The XX1 just perked my curiosity to much to not give it a try. Def gonna get back up there. I'll hit ya up when I do. Hope you are doing good!

The_Afterman
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Well here are couple more sneak peaks as the build progresses. Poor lighting = poor iphone photo. I will do a complete quality photo set after build is complete. So far this thing is beautiful. I have custom red Fox 34 decals going on the fork that is going to look killer. These are just a few shots of the progress.
    Hahahah, ya did it man, you pulled the shot on the 2013 s-works! That's 4 awesome bikes in the past 3 years!

Still can't believe you let that mojo go man, it's still serving me proud but damn, that s-works is one of the baddest, most well-designed frames I've seen in a while! Oh and you went enve too? I'm dying with it as I speak!

Hope to see you again on the mojo someday but I think you'll see me on an s-works sooner

Can't wait to see that gorgeous final build!

-that ol' 575 rider from chic
    "Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done"

-Mojo HD
    -Niner AIR 9 Carbon SS
    -Zion 737 EBB SS

aka...appBLING72
    Hey man. Yeah. I done did it! Ha! Can't wait to ride it. The weight of it is 25.75 w/o chain, which should be here today. Crazy that it's almost 3lbs lighter than the mojo. Anyway, hope to see ya soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am between the 2013 Enduro S-Works and the 2013 Stumpjumper EVO Carbon 29er . What do you guys recommend? Which one climbs better hard steep climbs?

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by EGREGOR View Post
    I am between the 2013 Enduro S-Works and the 2013 Stumpjumper EVO Carbon 29er . What do you guys recommend? Which one climbs better hard steep climbs?
    Seriously? Your asking a group of people who just dropped some serious coin on the Enduro. Which one do you think we would recommend?

The_Afterman
    Hey man. Yeah. I done did it! Ha! Can't wait to ride it. The weight of it is 25.75 w/o chain, which should be here today. Crazy that it's almost 3lbs lighter than the mojo. Anyway, hope to see ya soon!
    That is impressive, my mojo is pushing 29 now that's its tubeless. Finally took your tip on the dropper post.

You were right!

Can't wait to see the full build you lucky SoG!

B-tee-dubs, poster above me,
    Climbing? Stumpy, descending? Evo but I hear it climbs awesome. But I ride a mojo so I know nothing.
    "Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done"

-Mojo HD
    -Niner AIR 9 Carbon SS
    -Zion 737 EBB SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That is insane! I can't believe a 160mm bike can be built up that light.

I've been doing good, I just starting riding again after being off the bike for about 3 months. I left the country for a while and then tacoed a wheel on the second ride back. I finally decided on a set of Chinese carbon (Nancy) wheels. With that and going tubeless my bike is still just barely under 30lbs.

Go faster!
    Did your chain show up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mine is 27 with chain ! ;-)
    Waiting for my twenty6 Predators...

aka...appBLING72

Final Build Pics - First Ride!!

Well, After sweating the 3 day wait on my final piece "The chain" my friend who is a SRAM rep for the southeast flew in from Chicago's SRAM facility with a few extra chains and gave me one and a XX1 T-shirt. Cool! My chain showed up today after my first ride. Would have been bummed if I couldn't have ridden today.

So, first let's say it is the best looking bike I have ever owned, and I've owned a few! My last Mojo HD was the nicest one until this. Keep in mind, this is my first ride, and with that comes first ride stoke. BUT, I am a pretty tenured rider and have a great feel for what the bikes are doing and this one was not a disappointment. IMHO, it does everything the Mojo did good and does it better, and it does things the Mojo wasn't at and does them right. Specifically, squared edge bump absorption while climbing wasn't the best attribute of the mojo due to the built in anti squat. It seemed to spike every now and then while standing and pedaling a section with square edge roots/rocks etc... There was also a lack of high speed traction at times when braking in rough sections. It wasn't bad but it would get a little bit of brake feedback and kick. Again, not always but over high speed chatter. I loved the mojo as a stiff chassis and how it pedaled extremely well but descending with great confidence. The confidence I had on the mojo has increased dramatically with just one ride on the Sworks Enduro. When riding the mojo I always felt kind of on top of the bike, but never really could pinpoint that until after today. The Sworks Enduro makes you feel in the bike and ready for anything. The shorter chain stays cater more to my liking as well. The FSR rear end coupled with the DB Air felt like a Cat on landings. Quiet and solid. high speed traction even in the mud was amazing. Can't wait till tomorrows ride in the tacky GA dirt.

Last but not least... SRAM XX1 is worth every penny. I've ran a 1x9/10(32T x 11-36) for several years now and have always liked that setup. I would struggle up only the steepest of climbs, but with that came a huge expense of energy. Today I ran the 34T front and was amazed at how much better the entire range of gears felt and how I was able to manage energy by using the bailout a few times knowing the 30 mile Bull Mtn ride in the mud was going to hurt near the end. Not only did it improve gear selection, it was FREAKING QUIET! Even with all the mud, not a noise. Not even the crunchy grinding sound that sometimes develops when riding in those conditions. I opted to not run my MRP AMG guide because everyone said I wouldn't need it. They were right. If anyplace in North Georgia was gonna make that chain come off it was gonna be Bear Hare descent. Not even a sound. Not even a ghost shift! I really couldn't believe it. Just amazing. I'm gonna use my GoPro Hero 3(Christmas present from my awesome wife) tomorrow to try and capture some of the chain/suspension/trail footage. I'll do some quick editing and try to upload it. Here are couple of pics.

The clean ones are the day before I got my chain. LOL

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread-enduro-no-chain-2.jpg

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread-enduro-no-chain-3.jpg

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread-enduro-no-chain.jpg

Dirty pics are right after todays ride. The front fender was a Mucky Nutz fender. The back was a quick make shift fender out of a specialized tire plastic packaging when I realized I forgot my rear one. It worked great.

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread-enduro1stride.jpg

Last is bathtime. Loosened everything regreased and cleaned her up as good as new for tomorrow!

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread-endurobathtime.jpg

2013 Specialized Enduro S-Works (M) black/red
    2013 Fox 34 Float CTD Factory Painted Black
    Renthal duo stem 50mm
    Enve 28" wide DH bars
    SRAM XX1 Full Drivetrain 34T/32T front rings
    ODI Ruffian lock on
    Kindshock Lev 150mm drop
    Specialized Henge Carbon Pro saddle
    XTR pedals
    Enve All Mtn rims laced to DT Swiss 240 Hubs w/ DT Swiss Aerolite spokes
    XTR Trail brakes 183mm rotors
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.3 Snakeskin Pacestar & 2.4 Nobby Nic SnakeSkin Trailstar -FRT
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.3 Snakeskin Pacestar-Rear

Final build weight is 26.3lbs with pedals

Thats all for now.
    Last edited by aappling72; 01-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    aappling72 I don't think it can get any better.... It's out of control dude. Good review.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    aappling72 I don't think it can get any better.... It's out of control dude. Good review.
    Thanks 5. Yesterday's 2nd ride confirmed my initial feelings. I'm hae yet to mess with DB Air settings since I have just been riding Cane Creeks recommended base tune at 28% Sag to get a feel for the bike. Looks like this week is out till the weekend due to rain. But, I'll be sure to post back as time goes for further info in case anyone is interested in my take.

mtbr member
    Good to hear the bike rocks! Can't wait to build mine. Yes it be great to hear users feedback especially with that db air shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did anybody weigh the Roval Carbon wheels without tires etc. ?

Or did anybody weigh the frame in size L ?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by san_andreas View Post
    Did anybody weigh the Roval Carbon wheels without tires etc. ?

Or did anybody weigh the frame in size L ?
    If it helps my medium with shock, seatpost clamp, and rear axle weight 6.6lbs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks 5. Yesterday's 2nd ride confirmed my initial feelings. I'm hae yet to mess with DB Air settings since I have just been riding Cane Creeks recommended base tune at 28% Sag to get a feel for the bike. Looks like this week is out till the weekend due to rain. But, I'll be sure to post back as time goes for further info in case anyone is interested in my take.
    Whats your take on the DB air not having a lock out "propedal" system for climbing? I have gotten very used to my RP23's little blue lever for climbing. I'm almost sold on the 2013 enduro but I have been eyeballing the expert carbon version for the rear lockout and 2x10. I'm not the strongest climber so any little advantage I can get I take.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansod View Post
    Whats your take on the DB air not having a lock out "propedal" system for climbing? I have gotten very used to my RP23's little blue lever for climbing. I'm almost sold on the 2013 enduro but I have been eyeballing the expert carbon version for the rear lockout and 2x10. I'm not the strongest climber so any little advantage I can get I take.
    The DB Air has a new lever that adds 4 clicks of LSC. I haven't played with any other settings yet except the cane creek base tune for the bike. But real world testing on Saturday proved the new enduro to climb better than my previous Mojo HD. I was faster on my strava up and down and that was in the mud. Looking forward to some drier testing too.

As far as XX1 is concerned. I previously ran a 32T front and 11-36 rear and was able to climb pretty much anything North Georgia had to offer. Everyone said to try the 34T up front on the XX1. I was a little concerned I might not have the legs, but after riding one of the toughest trails (30 miles of muddy Bull Mtn) about 4400 ft of climbing I only needed the 42 cog a few times. I may only drop to the 32 for long endurance racing to preserve energy. Even then I don't know if I wouldn't just be ok on the 34. The benefits of XX1 are worth every penny. Returned the chainguide I thought I needed today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @aappling72

Did it suck like always to route the seat post cable internally or did it work out fine like in case with my current yeti where the cable was guided through the frame. In my Orange 322 I tried it a hundred times but then routed brake lines outside because I couldn't stand trying.
    How did it work here?

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by cubebiker View Post
    @aappling72

Did it suck like always to route the seat post cable internally or did it work out fine like in case with my current yeti where the cable was guided through the frame. In my Orange 322 I tried it a hundred times but then routed brake lines outside because I couldn't stand trying.
    How did it work here?
    I can't speak for aappling, but I had good luck pulling the front shock pivot bolt. After pulling the bolt you can lower the front end of the shock just enough to stick your pinkie finger in the cable exit hole. Feed the housing until it hits your finger then use your finger to guide the housing out of the frame. Takes about 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just picked up my '13 S-works enduro from the shop yesterday and rode it today. Everything about the bike is awesome.

Tried the lever on the DB Air and it does help when climbing. It is not a huge change in the feel, but enough to be worth it on steep, long climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2011

not happy

I saw one of these in the flesh today and have to say they are a stunning looking bike, but I was told that they are sold out until 2014. I mean seriously I know a bike can be in demand and that bigger markets get bigger allocations, but 2014......

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb123 View Post
    I saw one of these in the flesh today and have to say they are a stunning looking bike, but I was told that they are sold out until 2014. I mean seriously I know a bike can be in demand and that bigger markets get bigger allocations, but 2014......
    Wow. You have be kidding me. Heard they were making a limited amount but I didn't know that they would go that fast. I'm glad I ordered mine in June. And I second that, they are a amazing looking in person and ride even better!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hmmm I ordered mine over here in Germany just a week ago and was told it would arrive late February...
    Maybe I should double check that...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast