Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
    wretch

2013 S-Works Enduro Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    Nice! Black beauty or the John Player Special Edition.
    Ha! Francois had the same comment - they are also my initials...love this bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Updated mine with a Marzocchi 55:

Frame: Specialized Enduro S-Works 2013, size L
    Shock: CaneCreek Double Barrel Air
    Fork: Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA, 170mm
    Bar: Easton Havoc Carbon 35, 760mm
    Stem: Easton Havoc 35, 50mm
    Grips: ODI Oury
    Spacer: BBB ultralight
    Aheadcap: Tune Carbon
    Brakes: Avid X.0 Trail Worldcup
    Dics: Formula TO, 203mm
    Disc bolts: Hope Ti
    Shifter: Sram XX1
    Bottom bracket: Specialized PF30
    Crank: Sram XX1
    Chainring: Sram XX1, 32t
    Crankboots: RaceFace
    Pedals: twenty6 Predator ti
    Chain: Sram XX1
    Cassette: Sram XX1
    Derailleur: Sram XX1
    Wheels: Roval Traversé SL Carbon, 20mm/142mm
    Front tire: Specialized Butcher Control
    Rear tire: Specialized Purgatory
    Tubeless milk: Stan's
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR TT
    Seatpost: Syntace Highflex Carbon
    Seatpost clamp: Tune Würger
    Frameguard: Rockguardz

Weight: 12,3 kg

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Second hand but mint condition. Only one ride into it and she is just awesome. Trying to work out the perfect shock settings now (headache). Here she is with the big sister.....
    Hi there,

You said you got that s-works as second hand. I found one that is in really great condition according to photos. Owner has 2014 s-works and selling the one like yours. What should I be on on the lookout for when I go to inspect it? My main concern is the carbon frame. My one and only worry is that it is hard to know or find out whether the carbon frame has a crack. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by igz View Post
    Hi there,

You said you got that s-works as second hand. I found one that is in really great condition according to photos. Owner has 2014 s-works and selling the one like yours. What should I be on on the lookout for when I go to inspect it? My main concern is the carbon frame. My one and only worry is that it is hard to know or find out whether the carbon frame has a crack. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you
    Hi Mate, I took a small torch with me and looked at the frame carefully. I took my time and asked questions about the bike was ridden, etc. I also checked rims carefully as they are also carbon (if your bike is stock).

The fella I bought the bike from had several other bikes and I could tell the S-Works was ridden but not as much as the others due to the rider's preference. So I guess I was also lucky in that aspect.

At the end of the day is a hit & miss really as any structural damage on the inside would be impossible to see. Is the guy you are buying from happy to help you with Warranty shall an issue take place? That also helps.

This frame is burly & super strong, and I tell you, the bike likes to be ridden hard. Frame is very stiff too so, if you are getting a good deal and the frame looks good, go for it.

Good luck!

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mate, thank you very much for that.

Well, if I bought the bike, I wouldn't be able to get warranty replacement obviously and i'm not sure if he could do it for me if for example frame proves to be cracked because he replaced the original frame under warranty already.
    I'm honestly considering Enduro EVO brand new. They're now $2,500. I know it's heavier but in time I'd make it lighter and it is much cheaper. However, I'm willing to offer this guy (if everything seems good with bike) $3,500 and he is asking for 4,500 (negotiable) so I'm not sure what to do.

Do you think there should be some sort of visible external damage that caused possible internal damage?

Do you think Spesh shop could inspect the frame better?

What would be a deal breaker for you here?

My sincere apologies for all the questions. I really am not sure what to do but I feel that if I see even the smallest damage to this frame, I'd have to walk away.

Again, any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers mate

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    And Enduro EVO won't do if you are looking to pedal the thing up-hill.

I did pedally tracks on my 2010 Sx Trail (160mm) back when I had it and the thing was a pig. Got me fit but when I changed into the Endo S-Works WOW! The bike capability on descend was as good as the SX Trail taking into account how stiff the carbon is but when pedalling uphill, what a dream. The new plantform does pedal well.

In relation to the warranty, the current owner, if the original owner, could help out and pretend the bike is still his if an issue is to take place.

For visible damage, I would be looking at hairline cracks mostly. You might see some chips on the paint but I wouldn't care to much about those if only small. As mentioned, the frame is thick (11m) + also has a good coat of paint on top.

Also check headset / BB / anywhere where carbon make contact with screws / Cables. And ask if current owner has used torque wrench as specified.

About price.... depends on how new the bike is. It's still fairly new I assume if is into a 2014. Did he go 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by igz View Post
    Mate, thank you very much for that.

Well, if I bought the bike, I wouldn't be able to get warranty replacement obviously and i'm not sure if he could do it for me if for example frame proves to be cracked because he replaced the original frame under warranty already.
    I'm honestly considering Enduro EVO brand new. They're now $2,500. I know it's heavier but in time I'd make it lighter and it is much cheaper. However, I'm willing to offer this guy (if everything seems good with bike) $3,500 and he is asking for 4,500 (negotiable) so I'm not sure what to do.

Do you think there should be some sort of visible external damage that caused possible internal damage?

Do you think Spesh shop could inspect the frame better?

What would be a deal breaker for you here?

My sincere apologies for all the questions. I really am not sure what to do but I feel that if I see even the smallest damage to this frame, I'd have to walk away.

Again, any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers mate
    Last edited by iguanabartola; 05-28-2014 at 11:45 PM.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    And Enduro EVO won't do if you are looking to pedal the thing up-hill.

I did pedally tracks on my 2010 Sx Trail (160mm) back when I had it and the thing was a pig. Got me fit but when I changed into the Endo S-Works WOW! The bike capability on descend was as good as the SX Trail taking into account how stiff the carbon is but when pedalling uphill, what a dream. The new plantform does pedal well.

In relation to the warranty, the current owner, if the original owner, could help out and pretend the bike is still his if an issue is to take place.

For visible damage, I would be looking at hairline cracks mostly. You might see some chips on the paint but I wouldn't care to much about those if only small. As mentioned, the frame is thick (11m) + also has a good coat of paint on top.

Also check headset / BB / anywhere where carbon make contact with screws / Cables. And ask if current owner has used torque wrench as specified.

About price.... depends on how new the bike is. It's still fairly new I assume if is into a 2014. Did he go 29er?
    Thank you for the advice.
    The guy says he signed up with Spesh to race and got 2014 S-WORKS 26 so now he is selling 2013. I'll ask him about pretending for warranty bit, but if he says no for some reason, and I'm not sure about the frame, do you reckon I should leave it?

I pedalled EVO1 and and it's a better pedaler than I expected, but S-WORKS would be much better of course. I'll see.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I still go for it if is in good condition. This is trully and amazing bike.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks mate. just out of curiosity, how do you know that carbon frame is 11mm thick. I always thought it is thinner.

PS I'm selling my awesome hard tail if you know anyone:

Santa Cruz Chameleon mountain bike (large) CRAZY CHEAP!!! | Bicycles | Gumtree Australia Melbourne City - Melbourne CBD | 1044124473

cheers and thanx

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16