mtbr member

which 2013 Rockhopper is this?

Dealer showed me a red 2013 29 on his computer which isn't on the consumer web page yet and it was all red, just like the 2012 Comp 29... MSRP is $850, as I understand. After some back and fourth he said $850 w/tax...so the msrp is definitely $850, but online I only see a regular Rockhopper, not a 29 for around that price.

Did they downgrade one of the 29s to get it to that price point or I am thinking he might have made a mistake and quoted me on a 26...
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    2013 Rockhopper Frames were downgraded from M4(2012) to the A1 frames(2013).

No idea what Rockhopper you were shown, only photos I've seen of 2013s so far are black.

Price will have dropped with the Rockhoppers due to the frame downgrade. Pushes them down into just above the Hardrock pricepoints. I wonder about the specs and if they are enough to push people to pay the little extra for the RH, rather than the HR, now with the same frame composition.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I am not sure what is the point of the Rockhopper any longer if the new models no longer have the nice M4 frame.

The Rockhopper sat neatly between the entry level Hard Rock and higher end Carve and Stumpjumper HT, but with almost exactly the same frame as the Carve, and it was a true entry level XC bike that could easily be upgraded into a strong, light XC/trail machine, as opposed to a light-duty (read, heavy and inexpensive) "recreational" bike for the occasional weekender who mostly rides on fire roads. Too bad. I like my 2012 Rockhopper 29er's frame; it is the main reason why I bought the bike. I would have to buy a Carve if I wanted its equal now.

2012 Rockhopper 29er, Reba XX fork, Command Post Blacklite

mtbr member
    I just did some reading on the archives.. It looks like some models and / or some manufacturers have just downgraded components to either keep bikes a certain price or reduce the price.. I guess that was the case here.... But the comments I just read of getting a HR and upgrading contradicts every other post I see on here "buy the best you can afford vs upgrading and spending more $ later".

This is what I found on the difference on the metals :
    A1 is Specialized's branding of plain old aluminum, 6061 I belive. aircraft grade

M2 is Specialized's branding of a metal matrix, Aluminum mixed with Aluminum Oxide.
    I ended up not going to the dealer to order the 2013 Rockhopper to read more up on what changes it has... but haven't found anything on the components. What derailleurs are the 2013 running? Forks?

I've "bumped" my self up in price points 3 times since I started my purchase research 60-90 days ago, lol: from Wahoo to Hardrock to Rockhopper, lol.. It stops here, lol, no left over 2011 ex5 26" for $1300 nor 2012 or 2013 Carve ...
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd spring for the 2012 RH honestly. It might not seem like much but depending on frame size you are looking at a gain of 1-2lbs in the from going from the M4 to A1. Trust me, its a drastic change and not worth the $30 price difference.

You might be lucky to get a 2012 Carve for a tad more than the MSRP of the 2013 RH.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a '12 RH. Glad I got one before they switched to the A1 frame, get'em while there hot!

'12 Specialized RH 29er
    '00 Specialized RH FSR Comp
    And a few beaters for around town

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up with a 2013 Trek Mamba, black.... thanks for all the help to everyone.... The deciding factors were the change in material in the frame, as we all discussed, as well as the shock. I felt the Mamba's Rockshox to be better...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2013 rockhopper frame.

Im just getting into trail riding. I just purchased a 2013 RH and now I'm seeing a lot of bashing going on. Are people hating on it?? Or am I gonna regret my decision? What are the old frame compared to the new frame changes gonna do? I purchased this bike thinking specialized was a smart and innovative company??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky757 View Post
    Im just getting into trail riding. I just purchased a 2013 RH and now I'm seeing a lot of bashing going on. Are people hating on it?? Or am I gonna regret my decision? What are the old frame compared to the new frame changes gonna do? I purchased this bike thinking specialized was a smart and innovative company??
    As mentioned previously, they downgraded the frame's material to that of the LOWER priced Hardrock.. so you basically paid for a Hardrock frame, with a Rockhopper decal and a higher price.. I'm sure the components factor in and are better on the RH, I guess... But personally I ended getting a better return on investment with the Mamba AND a Rockshox vs the RH shock, etc.. plus Shimano components spread across the Mamba.

As someone said, don't worry about it, ride and enjoy the bike, it's an awesome bike, just not what I wanted
    Last edited by alexplantman; 07-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky757 View Post
    The bike is spec'd better than the Hardrocks, but the 2013s went back to the A1 frame alloy. The last several years they've used a lighter M4 frame allow, before that they used the A1 frame allow... so they just went back the way they were a few years ago.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you gain a little weight in the frame, but its nothing you'll notice as a new rider.

Enjoy your new bike! Post some pics for us

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    SuPrBuGmAn is pretty spot on. Other than the A1 aluminum they also switched to a tapered head tube design which I think is a small improvement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info.. I guess I could eat one less cheeseburger on riding days then to make up for the weight diff? Lol I was also told they upgraded front suspension and that would be more noticeable than frame change. Does anyone know the weight difference in the two frames?? I ordered the HR comp 29'r blk/red but cannot find a pic of it anywhere. Any advice on this?? Thnx

mtbr member
    May 2012
    RH 29

RH Comp 29

RH Pro 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sweet thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2013 Downgrades

I purchased a 2012 RH29 a few months ago. I was told that is was one of the best examples of trickle down technology - it was essentially the exact same frame as the StumpJumper from a year or 2 ago. I just saw the new 2013 yesterday while shopping for a bike for my wife and noticed the following downgrades:

-Frame: M4 to A1
    -Brakes: Tektro Draco to HDC300
    -Fork: Suntour XCR to XCM

Other changes:
    Alex Rims to generic (specialized brand?) rims - most likely same quality level...maybe even upgrade.
    Tires: Spec The Captain to Spec Ground Control - 2013 is slightly larger (2.0 to 2.1). May actually be considered upgrade...I was not impressed with the stock 2012 tires.

The brakes are probably no big deal, but the frame and fork would be well worth the extra cost for a 2012. In fact, most LBS should discount any 2012 models still left, so 2012 may actually cost less than the 2013.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    M4 is a great frame to build upon for XC and even more aggressive trail riding.