mtbr member
    Oct 2012

We the people ... 2013 Fox CTD Opinions?

Just curious on riders opinions of the new Fox CTD fork & shocks. Love them or hate them there now on all the new bikes, however they seem to be getting mixed bag reviews depending on the bike.

To me it would seem like a pain to change the adjustment for climbs and descends. I would probably just set it in trail mode and forget about it, but that's me.

mtbr member
    Well I got one on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. Well I miss the 2012 fork but the ctd I think is still so new that I haven't exactly tweaked her out yet. I find I use the trail setting the most as when you have the fork set with proper sag you blow through the travel with the descend mode. Also allot of brake diving. I'm building a sworks enduro next and going to order a 36 with the "other" dampening.
    I love the 34 fork but I think more time and tweaking is needed in my case to fall in love with the ctd system. Just a side note I'm 194 geared up for riding.
    2013 Fox CTD Opinions?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357573453.755464.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet ride, is that a GPS on your bike?

mtbr member
    Ya the garmin 500, love it and gives you more info than you ever need. Had the 800 but was just to big and bulky. Great piece of kit.

eBiker
    Some are pouring a bit of oil on the air spring piston to try to eliminate the blow through on the 34s.

My Lyrik solo air has a linear spring rate and requires a bit more than recommended air pressure to prevent blow through, but I like my fork a bit firm.

P

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't like the CTD. I'm having my 2012 34 shimmed to 120 to put on my Tallboy. I just left my fork in the soft Trail setting. I prefer the compression setting of the 2012 forks with a lockout lever.

But if you weren't into tweaking your suspension before this, then CTD might be alright for you. I was the type to ride a few times, then add a few clicks, ride again and so on until it felt right.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I have it on my fork and frame and i love it. I ride the fork in trail most the time, but do put the rear in climb mode quite a bit and i find the descent mode is really plush. Im maybe 170 geared up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have one on my enduro and i don't find it hard to adjust while riding personally.

Workin for the weekend!
    I've got a CTD setup on my Kona Hei Hei, so far I like the simplicity. I'm all about tweaking and adjusting, and finding out what's working best, but with suspension there are so many variables. Fine tuning is needed, but for what I'm riding, it's pretty freaking good.

I don't always use each mode as suggested, but for the most part I'll run trail or descend. The roots, rocky terrain I rude is best run in T for the fork and D for the shock, keeps the wheels on the ground best and allows me to glide over stuff that used to bounce me off. I like how each mode is different from the other, on the fly, no looking or fussing.

For those of you who can tell a 2% difference in rebound, or worry about sag being off a fraction from the 30% rule of thumb, maybe this setup isn't for you. Perhaps buy a Rockshox product?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I've got a CTD setup on my Kona Hei Hei, so far I like the simplicity. I'm all about tweaking and adjusting, and finding out what's working best, but with suspension there are so many variables. Fine tuning is needed, but for what I'm riding, it's pretty freaking good.

I don't always use each mode as suggested, but for the most part I'll run trail or descend. The roots, rocky terrain I rude is best run in T for the fork and D for the shock, keeps the wheels on the ground best and allows me to glide over stuff that used to bounce me off. I like how each mode is different from the other, on the fly, no looking or fussing.

For those of you who can tell a 2% difference in rebound, or worry about sag being off a fraction from the 30% rule of thumb, maybe this setup isn't for you. Perhaps buy a Rockshox product?
    Suspension is comprehensive, but not rocket science. Anyways, I wouldn't give rock shox that much credit. Neither come with an avalanche damper.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm enjoying the CTD. In the front I'm running a little less sag than recommended, and then I keep it in descend mode all the time. Its working well for me on our really rocky trails. I'm only using climb mode on the road.

At the back I keep it in trail setting all the time except for downhills when I switch it out to descend. Again, I'm only using climb mode on the road.

mtbr member
    So far the best fork I've ever used. Tapered head tube + 15mm through axle makes it a granite solid like fork. It makes my 2013 Lefty feels like an useless metal pole.
    Running at 5psi less than the recommended ones and keeping it on D most of the times,I just love it. Never used climbing mode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Fox probably would have been better off going with High & Low Speed compression settings on their entire model range, instead of just the upper end models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by midbunchlurker View Post
    I'm enjoying the CTD. In the front I'm running a little less sag than recommended, and then I keep it in descend mode all the time.
    this, it is plush, stays up pretty good and gets pretty much full travel.