Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 epic marathon.....expert

Has anyone got the marathon, can you give me some feedback on the carbon rims without the bead...any issues? Have you tried running below 25 psi? Is the marathon worth the extra money than the expert?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I believe they became available in the US two days ago. I did not ready my email until yesterday and after some price negotiation I placed my order. I will have the bike by the end of next week ready to race a six hours race. I will let you know how it goes. I will be a little skeptical about going under 28 PSI for me as I raced my previous bike with 26" alloy rims at 25 psi. I am a little nervous about these rims. Hope I don't have to fork out a bunch of money as soon as I get the bike.

mtbr member
    Cheers, i look forward to hearing how the bike turns out, i think you can normally run 29ers with a bit less presure in the tyres. I also imagine specialized has given a big safety margine on the 25 psi, so you probably can go a few psi's less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ran my carbon Roval SL's @ around 22-23psi without issue. On a rigid fork no less. Straight as an arrow after a full season.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    The marathon doesn't run sl's they are a cheaper version without a bead to save production costs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I knew that, just assumed you were concerned about the carbon bottoming out on roots/rocks. As for the beadless rims, I'm not too sure.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got the Epic Marathon. While I've only done about 125km I've had no issues running tubeless with 28psi rear and 25psi front.

mtbr member
    According to my LBS mine is on the way... Can't wait to get it!
    JA

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mine showed up Wednesday, picking it up later today. More bling (chrome) than I expected. Can't wait to get it dirty this weekend as it is going to be an "Epic" weekend

bikerpilot
    Further reports on Marathons?
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr'er
    Quote Originally Posted by baggr99 View Post
    Mine showed up Wednesday, picking it up later today. More bling (chrome) than I expected. Can't wait to get it dirty this weekend as it is going to be an "Epic" weekend
    Photos?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I opted for the Evo R and ordered the Rovals SL's for it. I have the SL's on my Stumpy and didn't want compromise on the lower end carbon wheels.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mine arrived on Saturday (UK colours). Running Ground Control tubeless on the beadless carbon rims at about 30-35psi. No problems at all so far. I had the bike shop change the tyres from the Fast Track to Ground Control, and they said that they were very easy to install and seal.

The Gripshifts are superb.

mtbr member
    Anyone got a weight yet?

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Anyone got a weight yet?
    Medium frame, setup tubeless with Candy 3's and a Henge Comp = 23.98 lbs

bikerpilot
    My LBS is telling me the Marathon isn't available yet, but I seem to be seeing a few bikes in y'all's hands here in the US. Hmmm...
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    My LBS is telling me the Marathon isn't available yet, but I seem to be seeing a few bikes in y'all's hands here in the US. Hmmm...
    They should be available, albeit in limited quantities. We have a few at my shop.

The next run is due sometime in November.

mtbr member
    I have the 2013 Stumpjumper Marathon 29 HT, which has most of the same specs as the Epic -- including the bead-hook-less carbon Rovals. I've put a lot of distance on the wheels and -- like Mike59 -- exchanged the Fast Trak for Ground Control. I'm running tubeless and have finally settled on about 25 PSI as my sweet spot. I started at 30, went down to 22, and to 25. These wheels are exceptional. I have had no issues whatsoever after riding extensively for the past month in our Rocky Mountain terrain in south central Montana. The tubeless setup was a breeze, and after the Stan's settled, the wheels have remained at my desired PSI (I constantly check each ride to make sure). The Rovals are super stiff and super light at about 1530 g. I haven't noticed any difference from the prior year's bead-hook version, which I rode a lot, and these. Simply put -- they are fantastic. You'll be stoked, especially if you're coming off heavier aluminum rims.

As for the rest of the specs on the Marathon version, it's about the best bang for the buck available. Carbon cranks, S-Works carbon flat bar, carbon wheels, XO Type 2 derailleur, XO grip shift (which is super crisp and fast, especially for big gear jumps or dumps -- though I ditched the SRAM grips in favor of ESI Chunky cut down in length).

If your Epic Marathon is en route, you are in for one helluva fun fall. Cheers,

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here's mine. Done close to 200km with no issues. This is my race bike for 100km enduros so I've been running the brains 2 clicks from the firmest setting.

It is 10.7kg as pictured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 epic marathon.....expert-epic1a.jpg  

2013 epic marathon.....expert-epic2a.jpg  

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

hardtail or full?

Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    Medium frame, setup tubeless with Candy 3's and a Henge Comp = 23.98 lbs
    23.98 for hardtail or full susp?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    23.98 for hardtail or full susp?
    The 2013 Epic Marathon I just posted is 10.7kg which is 23.58 pounds

mtbr member
    gorgeous bike! that's impressive weight considering its not fully carbon

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

sweet

Quote Originally Posted by bt100 View Post
    The 2013 Epic Marathon I just posted is 10.7kg which is 23.58 pounds
    really nice bike. i was wondering if CasteelG's bike was hardtail or full

mtbr'er
    Here's mine. Done close to 200km with no issues. This is my race bike for 100km enduros so I've been running the brains 2 clicks from the firmest setting.

Nice! More photos, please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

That's lovely. I think I prefer that to mine (the UK red/black). Mine is size Large, with heavier non-S-Works Ground Control tyres and SPD pedals. Weighs in at 11.1kg, but feels a HELL of a lot lighter that that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast