mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2013 Epic Marathon

I bought a lightly used Epic Marathon and went on my first ride on it today. I had a 2003 Epic Comp which I built up in '04 and rode for a couple years before dropping MTB riding when I started road racing.

I have some questions about the Marathon-

The fork seems kind of harsh, especially on small stuff. I'm 150 lbs and ran 110psi (upper end of the range) on it. I think that's too much (I only got 60mm of travel) so I will try 90. Adjusting the Brain and rebound didn't seem to make much difference. Is this just how Brain forks are?

The rebound dial moves when I adjust the Brain/compresion. Is that normal?

The fork tube has sag marks on it. With no load it's at 10%, and pushing the fork down doesn't get it to extend further. Is this normal?

It came with 160mm Avid rotors front and rear. Spec sheet says 180mm for size L and doesn't list the make of rotors. The front squeaks a little. Are there any compatability problems with the Magura brakes?

The brakes have a lot of play before they come on. Is that normal for MT6 brakes?

Even with all that it was a very enjoyable ride.

Thanks!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I bought a lightly used Epic Marathon and went on my first ride on it today. I had a 2003 Epic Comp which I built up in '04 and rode for a couple years before dropping MTB riding when I started road racing.

I have some questions about the Marathon-

The fork seems kind of harsh, especially on small stuff. I'm 150 lbs and ran 110psi (upper end of the range) on it. I think that's too much (I only got 60mm of travel) so I will try 90. Adjusting the Brain and rebound didn't seem to make much difference. Is this just how Brain forks are?

The rebound dial moves when I adjust the Brain/compresion. Is that normal?

The fork tube has sag marks on it. With no load it's at 10%, and pushing the fork down doesn't get it to extend further. Is this normal?

It came with 160mm Avid rotors front and rear. Spec sheet says 180mm for size L and doesn't list the make of rotors. The front squeaks a little. Are there any compatability problems with the Magura brakes?

The brakes have a lot of play before they come on. Is that normal for MT6 brakes?

Even with all that it was a very enjoyable ride.

Thanks!
    Yes, too much pressure in the fork - knock it back based on what Sag you normally run. As an alternative run the fork on your normal tracks and set pressure so that you get full movement from the fork during the ride.

160mm rotors are fine and what I run on my SW 29er.

The Magura MT6 brakes have a lever adjustment (at the lever/piston pivot point). Check the pads first for wear, and then adjust the lever to suit.

BTW there is a recall for some Magura MT6/8 brakes here - check out whether this affects you

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I thought I'd set the sag before riding but apparently not. I think I was fooled by the wiper being at the "10% sag" marking. I did it just now and had to go down to 60psi to get 10% measured sag. I'd aim for 20% but that low a pressure makes me nervous. Even with the brain set to soft there's a lot of stiction which makes getting an accurate sag difficult. But I can tell the difference in brain settings just in the garage now so I am probably closer to the right setting now.

Running it at nearly twice the pressure would explain the ride and why the front was washing out some in turns.

I did adjust the brake levers before riding as part of my inspection/setup. I have the adjustment maxed out. The engagement point is at a good spot for how I use the brakes- one finger at the end of the lever- but there's a lot of free lever pull before I get there.

Thanks for the pointer to the recall, mine are not affected.

mtbr member
    Even with the brain set to soft there's a lot of stiction which makes getting an accurate sag difficult. But I can tell the difference in brain settings just in the garage now so I am probably closer to the right setting now.
    If the fork has a lot of stiction it sounds like your fork could probably do with a service. The brain cartridge is a sealed unit whilst the air chamber leg is just a standard Rock Shox Sid 29 Solo Air fork. You can service the seals without needing to send the whole fork off for a full service. Leave the brain cartridge intact and do the rest of the fork as you would a normal Rock Shox fork.

With the brain set to full soft (no platform) a brain fork should still feel a lot like a normal fork with a smooth action.

What I do before each ride is to put a very thin layer of Slick Honey grease on the fork stanchions just above the fork wiper seals. It keeps the seals moving smoothly and seems to help prolong the time between services.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok as far as the brakes go magura mt series are set for great
    modulation. Power will increase with rotor size. If they come late
    that is mostly by design so you are not on-off with your braking.
    If you feel you need more engagement over filling the system with Royal
    Blood will give you a stiffer feel. Pm magura Jude on here. He is the tech rep and all around good guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm going to bleed the brakes and see if that changes anything.

I found a 2012 RockShox fork spec sheet and 60psi is not that far out of range for my weight. I'm assuming that there would be no difference between Dual and Solo air positive pressure.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I'm going to bleed the brakes and see if that changes anything.

I found a 2012 RockShox fork spec sheet and 60psi is not that far out of range for my weight. I'm assuming that there would be no difference between Dual and Solo air positive pressure.
    No, just that SRAM dumbed down the shock by removing the -ve air chamber, replacing with standardized valving...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WR can you explain your Slick Honey procedure (amount, application, etc...) Sounds like a good idea. Would a drop of tri-flow in the same area and cycling the suspension be similar or would that harm the seals?

mtbr member

2013 Epic Marathon

There are aftermarket products intended for the same thing, such as Fork Juice. I use Slick Honey as it's what I have already.

http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/fork-juice.html

A thread on the subject of what to use:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...-than-wet-lube

All I do is clean the fork stanchions and wipers with a cloth, take a tiny amount of slick honey (size of a pea perhaps) and then smear it onto the first two inches of stanchion just above the wiper seals so that there is a very thin film of grease as lubrication.

You don't want very much grease because otherwise it will collect dirt, which is why I only do the lower part of stanchion as that gets used the most. It has to be re-applied after every ride but it doesn't take long.