suvlako

2013 Enduro Expert carbon. Need some advice. Not feeling it...

So here's a little back story. I am an advanced rider, 39yrs old, 195#. Have owned virtually every iteration of Enduro since 2005. Just sold my 2010 Pro carbon and I am kinda regretting it. In all fairness, the bike is brand new and it takes me a while to get used to a new bike. The bike is much more of a missle on the flat sections, climbs really well but seems to have less Dh prowess than my 2010(that thing rode like a dh sled!). The HT angles are the same but it handles much more XCish like. I find the front end pushing out a lot and feel a lot of flex and deflection. Is this just because of the 34 fork in lieu of the 36? I am willing to spend the extra dough for the 36 but wondering if anyone has swapped forks and if they noticed a difference. Maybe even considering a 180mm Fox 36 Talas... Did anyone swap out their fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi there, is the forks. Unfortunately the 34 is not cutting it and I am in the same boat as you are. considering either 36 Floats or the heavier, sexier 55 Zochies ATA.

You can improve the front by bumping the air pressure on the 34's and see how it goes. I am 20psi above recommended pressuge and the feeling you discribe is less noticable by having the stiffer front. This plus using the firm mode on the Trail setting on my TALAS makes do for now and I am enjoying the bike a lot.

The bike descents very well and you will notice it once you get used it. I can compare it easily to my 2010 SX Trail in terms in DH capabilities but being so light, handles even better.

I am on an S-Works 2013 and I am able to swap in between my Demo/SX Trail/Enduro and the cockpit feels pretty much the same on all bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Or get Lyrik RC2 DH. I've been riding 2010 Enduro with it for two years - it is perfect.
    Light, stiff, with very efficient and adjustable damping.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako View Post
    The HT angles are the same but it handles much more XCish like. I find the front end pushing out a lot and feel a lot of flex and deflection.
    Is the 34 travelling to deep into travel during descents? That would create a steeper feeling / XCish bike.

Fox is supposed to have updated the damper with more damping for this year & to address the complaints. Also the Talas is supposed to be very linear (blow thru).

Push is working on something for the 34's issues, give them a call as it is "unofficial" at the moment.

P

suvlako
    Not at all. Even with the damper on Descend, it does not use all of the travel. My issue isn't dampening, it just seams to be steeper and flexier. The Fox 36's axel to crown length is about 9mm longer. Not sure if that will make for a big deal??? Sergio, do you have the 170mm or the 160mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just shipped my fork back to fox for the 2014 upgrade. Sounds like they made a big Improvment. It cost.only $50 plus shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako View Post
    Not at all. Even with the damper on Descend, it does not use all of the travel. My issue isn't dampening, it just seams to be steeper and flexier. The Fox 36's axel to crown length is about 9mm longer. Not sure if that will make for a big deal??? Sergio, do you have the 170mm or the 160mm?
    How heavy are you? I think 170mm will make it a tough climbe IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's 170mm. I am tall (6'5'' with almost 38'' inseam), the frame is XL - so 10mm of extra front height are not as noticeable as they would be for small frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    It's 170mm. I am tall (6'5'' with almost 38'' inseam), the frame is XL - so 10mm of extra front height are not as noticeable as they would be for small frame.
    No wonder you feel the 34 are like noddles!! Have you thought of 36 floats dropped from 180mm to 170mm? The A2C would be lower therefore no loading the HT to much! Guess you want to make sure you don't void your warranty by putting longer forks on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    No wonder you feel the 34 are like noddles!! Have you thought of 36 floats dropped from 180mm to 170mm? The A2C would be lower therefore no loading the HT to much! Guess you want to make sure you don't void your warranty by putting longer forks on the bike.
    Just realised you are not the OP! Oops.

suvlako
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Just realised you are not the OP! Oops.
    LOL I am about 190 pounds. The lowered float Idea is not a bad one..