mtbr member

2013 Enduro Expert Carbon Frame issue

Can you all look at this and tell me this is not the best Specialized can do for a $6500 bike? I should definitely bring it to the shop right? Pisses me off...(if you click on image it will get huge so you can see it better and in detail).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/91hsuy3scmt6epr/Problem.jpg
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Can you all look at this and tell me this is not the best Specialized can do for a $6500 bike? I should definitely bring it to the shop right? Pisses me off...(if you click on image it will get huge so you can see it better and in detail).
    Yes that is garbage. Take it back.

mtbr member
    yes

I had a crack in my 2012 Camber Carbon. Within 4 days I had a brand new carbon frame waiting for me at the bike shop. It's a lifetime warranty on Specialized frames. So, yes you should take it back. Hopefully they take care of you and your bike.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How did this happen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m1na View Post
    How did this happen?

Nothing happened. Looks like from production. Looks filled as you can see the hole part is colored same as the bike. They just thought it would be ok I guess.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    was the frame like this when you picked it up new from the shop?

mtbr member
    Well I am assuming, but I do not know (it is fairly well hidden behind the linkage and under the shock). I did not go through the bike initially and this bike as been the biggest pain in the ass for me so far. Got it Feb 19 and since then it has been to the shop numerous times and had two 2week stays because of the shock both times as well as the cranks coming loose, headset coming loose, shock coming loose, and now this. This was the first time I actually got to wash it, and even then I did it because the head set came loose during a ride (right after I got it from the shop after 2 weeks) and was creaking to high heaven full of sand and grit. So I washed it before R&R the head set and found this staring at me. There is also either glue or clear coat all around it also running down. I took it too the shop yesterday and they said it looks like a crack in the paint but they are going to send pics to warranty guy. As far as I know paint does not crack in circles surrounded by either glue or clear coat running down the seat tube. You can feel the edges around the crack, so it is fairly deep, but they said the paint is pretty thick. So we will see I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope they sort you out quickly as I saw this bike model in person at the local LBS yesterday and wow, it's just beautiful.

Just a thought, wonder if the LBS damage the frame when having a go at fixing the bike? Surprised you didnt realiaze on such damage du to the location. I know you said is slightly hidden but that is an area I always look at when cleaning the bike (which I do very regularily).

Good luck!

Well I am assuming, but I do not know (it is fairly well hidden behind the linkage and under the shock). I did not go through the bike initially and this bike as been the biggest pain in the ass for me so far. Got it Feb 19 and since then it has been to the shop numerous times and had two 2week stays because of the shock both times as well as the cranks coming loose, headset coming loose, shock coming loose, and now this. This was the first time I actually got to wash it, and even then I did it because the head set came loose during a ride (right after I got it from the shop after 2 weeks) and was creaking to high heaven full of sand and grit. So I washed it before R&R the head set and found this staring at me. There is also either glue or clear coat all around it also running down. I took it too the shop yesterday and they said it looks like a crack in the paint but they are going to send pics to warranty guy. As far as I know paint does not crack in circles surrounded by either glue or clear coat running down the seat tube. You can feel the edges around the crack, so it is fairly deep, but they said the paint is pretty thick. So we will see I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, never seen anything like that before....good luck.

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, was your bike completely stock when you bought it from the shop? Reason I ask, is that cosmetically blemished or "blem" frames are occaisionally offered to shops, but I don't believe they are to be resold. Wondering if it was built up from a blem frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Out of curiosity, was your bike completely stock when you bought it from the shop? Reason I ask, is that cosmetically blemished or "blem" frames are occaisionally offered to shops, but I don't believe they are to be resold. Wondering if it was built up from a blem frame.
    Well it was stock and I had to wait about 3 months for it. So I am assuming that is not the case. God I hope not anyway. The shop I use has always been upstanding.