yep

2013 Enduro chain length?

Hey guys. So last month I got myself a new 2013 Enduro Comp. It's my first bike and I'm very new to all the mechanics of a bike.

Well I noticed right away that when I'm on the small chainring and the small cog, my chain touches itself(happens on the 2nd smallest as well). Now I know not to "cross chain" and be on small/small or big/big, and I've been training myself to avoid that. But it still bothers me that it touches, and after posting the issue on the drivetrain forum, the general consensus was that my chain was too long.

So today I decided to take a link out, but me being the inexperienced mechanic I am, I forgot that in order to shorten it, you have to take two links out. So I ended up taking two, and now I just want to make sure my chain isn't too short. I know that they have to be a certain length since the distance lengthens when the suspension travels.

Here's the before on small/small. http://i.imgur.com/LAsUw0k.jpg

Here's the after on big/big. http://i.imgur.com/tsJq3Si.jpg

I'm not going to ride on the big/big combo, but I'm still looking for input as to whether or not it's a correct length now, or if I've caused a problem by shortening it.

Anyone else with a Large Enduro have a count on how many links is in their chain?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Enduro chain length?

I have a 2011 comp and I don't think I have ever, nor would I ride with it in small front and rear at the same time. I would be more concerned with my big, big position, I use that all the time and it looks like your chain is too short now.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    I have a 2011 comp and I don't think I have ever, nor would I ride with it in small front and rear at the same time. I would be more concerned with my big, big position, I use that all the time and it looks like your chain is too short now.
    Agree

reset your chain lenght to what it was. don't ride in the 24x11 b/c the rear derailleur does cannot keep sufficient chain tension. Its ok on a 2x10 to ride bigxbig or smallxsmall IF the rear derailleur can handle the variables: chainstay length, gear size, frame travel.

no offense...but...I think the peps who specd the chain length have more experience and i would go with their choice.

one typical way to size chain length is put the chain in bigxbig and add at 1 or 2 "pairs" of links. but again, gotta consider all variables when sizing.

restore the chain to factory length and get on the trail

yep
    Alright, thanks for the input guys.

One of the pins pushed all the way out, so from what I gather there's no way to get it back in. So it sounds like I'll need a new chain?

Well at least now I'll have the spare chain I was going to get anyway.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In whatever package for whatever chain you buy is going to have instructions for proper chain sizing. Use these instructions, but add one additional link, (two total) because the X9 Plus rear derailleur needs one extra link than normal to operate correctly. been there and have two spare (but too short) chains now.

yep
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

I had ordered a pack of KMC Missing Links, and they arrived today. From what I gathered from searching, I can have multiple of those on my chain with no problem. So for the meantime I'm going to do that to get links back on, but I definitely want to get a new chain eventually and go through the proper sizing process.