Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

I'm pretty anxious in hearing more about it....good and/or bad....

mtbr member
    I've ordered one. The geometry is close to my Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Thinking about one, spec doesn't have an estimated arrival date yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've had the shop order mine and I'm anxious to see what it is all about. The geometry on these is the same as the geared Carves and that is fine with me.

This will be my first single speed and it'll be fully rigid until I get some $ for a suspension fork. My bike shop has advised me against X-Fusion, but they have forks in stock 2012 that are the configuration that I would need 9mm QR with a tapered steerer tube.

Hopefully I won't jar my teeth out while trying to ride it around here in a fully rigid fashion. Do any of you feel like you'd be able to get a decent resale value on a Chisel fork? I've heard that they are Specialized's answer to the Niner rigid carbon fork offering.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    They're brand new, so you can probably sell it easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I finally got mine yesterday and I'm in love.

This is my first full rigid bike and will definitely take some getting acquainted with. It climbs like a goat and descends super quick. Honestly it is a little too quick when dealing with the amount of large hit rocks that we have here in Southern Arizona.

I think I'll have to tweak the air pressure. Currently I'm running tubeless with the Specialized Ground Controls that came with it at 25psi.

A quick side note is that even though it is spec'd with dual 2.1 tires, it comes with a 2.3 on the front for extra fatness and compliance for the full rigid.

I was a little ambitious when I took it out for the first time. I'd never ridden full rigid before and I took it out on a night ride on top of that (not so smart I know)

I ended up flying all over the trail and ending up in some bushes and laid it down on the trail once due to my inability to keep my line from hitting some babyhead sized rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    got any photos of it?

When did you order it? I heard delivery times are way out....

mtbr member
    +1, jshoe. I was told no delivery dates yet which means it's going to be a while.

mtbr member
    Is there any provision for a derailleur hanger for 1x10? I'm getting some conflicting info on this and I like to switch it up between geared and SS...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm assuming no der hanger option.

Per the Spesh spec page:
    Specialized M4SL Aluminum, 29er singlespeed specific frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what it looks like in the pics I've seen, but one reviewer said there was a spot for a hanger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    I'm assuming no der hanger option.

Per the Spesh spec page:
    Specialized M4SL Aluminum, 29er singlespeed specific frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger
    I'd assume there is since it notes there is a replaceable hanger.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I'd assume there is since it notes there is a replaceable hanger.
    Good eye erichwic, I missed that part.

I think I want one of these bikes....

mtbr member
    Looks like the drive side seat stay has "Warts" for a rear derailleur cable, so a 1x10 is possible. Nothing for a front derailleur though.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So apparently I can't post pics until I've got 10 posts, so I guess I need to get to it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At the bike shop

After a few rides (much more dirty)

Changes that were done when the bike was purchased tubeless conversion w/Gorilla tape and Stans, and removal of the wheel decals. No need to mention, but I will anyway that the rear blinky and Garmin are just accessories.

Weight without cages, Garmin, rear blinky, and including pedals was just at ~22.25 lbs. This is a 19 or Large in Specialized.

Sorry it took so long posting I didn't want to just randomly spam just to get my post count up.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Truly a nice lookin bike!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to getting mine. How heavy are the wheels? My 2013 Epic Carbon Comp wheelset was 2100 grams! I lost a pound of rotational weight by replacing the stock wheels with Stans Arch EX wheelset. I'm guessing the SL will require a wheel upgrade as well....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I didn't weight the wheels individually because that whole thing isn't important to me honestly. Overall weight is, somewhat, but individual components aren't.

I'll be probably upgrading to a riser bar of some sort due to hand numbness..etc I've been getting on this. I'll also be replacing the grips with something a little less crappy. The wings on the grips are somewhat softer than the Ergons that I have on my other bike (which my wife has taken due to the agreement we had).

I'll have to have my bike shop show me how to tension the chain when I go there again. This will help with me being able to work with it out on the trail if I encounter skipping..etc.

I have a race, Epic Rides Tour of the White Mountains, next weekend and I just want to be more prepared
    Last edited by antimike; 09-26-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: additional detail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I almost ordered one of these, but I chickened out as I wasn't sure about not having gears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    I almost ordered one of these, but I chickened out as I wasn't sure about not having gears.
    It is one of those things that until you actually ride one you won't understand.

I'd ridden one single speed twice before, and I fell in love.

If you have the chance to test ride one, I recommend that you do it.

You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I mean... I have probably about 2-3 hours of riding singlespeed single track under my belt, but I think it'd have to be a secondary mtb for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool looking bike. Add carbon bars and seatpost and it will be down in the 21# range, mostly stock. I want one! best of all its BLACK.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I work at a bike shop in Wyoming, and all I have heard from our reps is how awesome this bike is! The owner just got back from interbike last weekend and he had a bunch of good things to say about this bike too! I want to ride one extremely bad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Antimike, that bike is badass! how was the ride on it? I want to ride one so bad! Thanks for posting those pictures

mtbr member
    Ouch, I just noticed the standover height on the medium Carve, 796mm (31.3"). That is going to be close with my 32" inseam. I also checked the Stumpy HT and it's standover is 810mm (31.9") on a medium frame. This seems like a tall standover height to me compared to other HT brands. Do I have short legs for my 5'10" height?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I run a medium carve with an inseam closer to 30", no problem.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'm closer to a 30" inseam and ride a medium Carve with 0 problems as far as standover is concerned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm 5'6" and don't have much stand over clearance on mine, I think it's just due to being a 29er. It also might have to do with from where on the top tube they measure, I mean it's sloped so much the stand over varies greatly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamXC View Post
    Antimike, that bike is badass! how was the ride on it? I want to ride one so bad! Thanks for posting those pictures
    Honestly, the ride on the bike is quite awesome surprisingly. When I did my first ride on it, it was at night and I biffed it pretty good but no scratches on the bike (best part) then the second time I rode it was during the daytime.

It was truly, not to sound cheesy, a night and day difference. It was much easier to choose lines instead of hammering on big rocks.

I have another front suspension bike and this one climbs better and descends just as well as that one does maybe even better at that too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    BOOM! I ordered up my (large) Carve SL last night from the LBS.....let the waiting game begin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antimike View Post
    At the bike shop

After a few rides (much more dirty)

Changes that were done when the bike was purchased tubeless conversion w/Gorilla tape and Stans, and removal of the wheel decals. No need to mention, but I will anyway that the rear blinky and Garmin are just accessories.

Weight without cages, Garmin, rear blinky, and including pedals was just at ~22.25 lbs. This is a 19 or Large in Specialized.

Sorry it took so long posting I didn't want to just randomly spam just to get my post count up.
    of the LBS's by me that is a chain got 4 or 5 for the 4 shops.. I dont see them moving that fast but i myself am getting a 19.. glad you posted up a pic of yours and it happened to be a 19. It doesnt look bad at all. I just wish i wouldnt have to have so much post showing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah the next size up would have had me super stretched out.

It comes with a substantial seat post length (maybe 400mm but I'm not exactly sure didn't measure) and as long as you've got enough in the frame, seat post showing is just aesthetics.

I'm glad I made the decision to pull the trigger on this bike. This is actually my first quality bike, and I am well pleased.

The stock saddle isn't bad, but the ERGON SM3 is the bees knees!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    It comes with a rear der hanger, so you can run it as a 1x10 if you want.

That was one feature that I liked, for the few times i'd want gears, I can use the same bike. Very versatile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    im wondering if the chisel fork itself will only be avalible in the matte black finish? hopefully spech. will give us some color options, im thinkin on buying the carve comp. and would like a gloss red/black chisel fork to match. still i do think specialized hit this out of the park with this bike.

mtbr member
    Damn, 31" standover on a medium? I'm 6' with 32" inseam, I was expecting I'd need a large, I guess I should test ride a medium/large before pulling the trigger.

Sounds silly but I think this is one of the more exciting bikes Spec has put out over the last couple years. My shop has one coming in, if I'd have known about this before jumping into a high end 650 build with both feet I would have spent less money so I could order one of these, I've heard they retail around $1,200.

Buying one of these and then spending about $500 on closeout wheelset, carbon bar, and lighter little pieces around Christmas time and you should have a ~20-21# bike for under $1,500.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My pant inseam is 32-33ish I'd say because sometimes 32s are high waters. I have some 34s that drag the ground so I'd say I'm inbetween.

I'm riding a 19" and no issues with stand over clearance. If they don't have the Carve SL in stock, have them put you on one of the other models because the geometry is the same between the geared and single speed carves.

Best of luck to you all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by antimike View Post
    My pant inseam is 32-33ish I'd say because sometimes 32s are high waters. I have some 34s that drag the ground so I'd say I'm inbetween.

I'm riding a 19" and no issues with stand over clearance. If they don't have the Carve SL in stock, have them put you on one of the other models because the geometry is the same between the geared and single speed carves.

Best of luck to you all.
    pant inseam and inseam for the purpose of fitting bicycles aren't equivalent...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    pant inseam and inseam for the purpose of fitting bicycles aren't equivalent...
    I'm well aware that cycling inseam and pant inseam are different and may vary some inches.

Most people don't have a reference for true cycling inseam. I was in a shop once that had a spring loaded stick that shot up into your junk region that had hash marks for measurement on them.

mtbr member
    My local shop said that my medium SL should be in this week. I guess my first ride will be a 55 mile monster cross on gravel roads this weekend. I may change the tires to something with fewer knobs for the gravel roads but I will post my thoughts afterwards...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Arrival!

I rec'd my Large Carve SL from the best bike shop in NE WI(the bike hub) today! I'm told it was 23.5# with the heavy, flat metal(not plastic) pedals.

This bike is pretty sweet! It looks awesome, and I can't wait to ride it tomorrow night!

It did come with the rear der hanger, for a 1x10 option in the future. The rear hub is a standard hub, but with SS spacers installed. Again, you can use the same rear wheel, with a cassette for the 1x10. Sweet!

Gearing was 32x20, which is a tad easy for WI terrain.

I noticed the rear seat stay also had braze-ons for racks and/or fenders.

The front tire is a Ground Control 2.3", and the rear is a 2.1". I have yet to look under the rubber to see how easy it'll be to convert to tubeless setup!?

This thing is WAY BETTER than my 5-6 year old Gary Fisher Rig SS it's replacing!

I'll get some more photos later.....of some close up details, and once i get my BLACK specialized cages mounted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    The front tire is a Ground Control 2.3", and the rear is a 2.1". I have yet to look under the rubber to see how easy it'll be to convert to tubeless setup!?
    Ground Control's and those stock Carve rims were really easy to convert. Couple of rounds of Roval rim tape, add tubeless valves.. tried without sealant first, leaked air only from the valve hole. Cut a small piece of old inner tube around the valve's exit from the rim, solved. Added Stan's sealant and spun the wheel around for a while, done! And no leaks or burps while riding.

I like turtles
    I want one of these bad!!!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I've been riding mine now for a week, it's the best $1300 you will ever spend! The frame is shockingly stiff and the entire setup feels rock solid, and the geometry fits perfectly. All of my other bikes are size large and I got the Carve SL in large. The steering is perfectly accurate and it's just overall a BLAST!!! I'm addicted to riding full rigid now lol!

mtbr member
    Would love to be able to get the frame/fork set for about $700, otherwise I'd be upgrading crap on it immediately. I'd be all like
    "this perfect out of the box, but what if I sold the elixirs and got some used Formula RX's, and then if I'm doing that I might as well swap the bar/stem/grips and seatpost, and certainly that would be ridiculous to do without even considering a new wheelset..."
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    $1300 for this bike is money well spent! It's a great ride for the money!

But, I also immediately upgraded to a carbon handlebar(lighter/stiffer), ergon grips(personal pref), tubeless setup. Future upgrades are wheels and seatpost.

mtbr member
    2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350277333.209607.jpg2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350277353.545980.jpg2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350277370.121783.jpg
    Here's my XL
    Xt crank and brakes, whiskey fork . Frustrating on the flat and downs as it geared 32 18 and murder on the long steep climbs but Great on the trails. It's my first SS I've brought to strengthen my legs up with. Can't say why but its disturbingly good fun!!!!!!

blet drive
    does this run an ebb? and can some one take a pic of the drive side drop out area?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

blet drive
    Dang thought it might split to run a belt but no suck luck... after zooming in on there web page.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    It runs an EBB, yes.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast