Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

I'm pretty anxious in hearing more about it....good and/or bad....

mtbr member
    I've ordered one. The geometry is close to my Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Thinking about one, spec doesn't have an estimated arrival date yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've had the shop order mine and I'm anxious to see what it is all about. The geometry on these is the same as the geared Carves and that is fine with me.

This will be my first single speed and it'll be fully rigid until I get some $ for a suspension fork. My bike shop has advised me against X-Fusion, but they have forks in stock 2012 that are the configuration that I would need 9mm QR with a tapered steerer tube.

Hopefully I won't jar my teeth out while trying to ride it around here in a fully rigid fashion. Do any of you feel like you'd be able to get a decent resale value on a Chisel fork? I've heard that they are Specialized's answer to the Niner rigid carbon fork offering.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    They're brand new, so you can probably sell it easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I finally got mine yesterday and I'm in love.

This is my first full rigid bike and will definitely take some getting acquainted with. It climbs like a goat and descends super quick. Honestly it is a little too quick when dealing with the amount of large hit rocks that we have here in Southern Arizona.

I think I'll have to tweak the air pressure. Currently I'm running tubeless with the Specialized Ground Controls that came with it at 25psi.

A quick side note is that even though it is spec'd with dual 2.1 tires, it comes with a 2.3 on the front for extra fatness and compliance for the full rigid.

I was a little ambitious when I took it out for the first time. I'd never ridden full rigid before and I took it out on a night ride on top of that (not so smart I know)

I ended up flying all over the trail and ending up in some bushes and laid it down on the trail once due to my inability to keep my line from hitting some babyhead sized rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    got any photos of it?

When did you order it? I heard delivery times are way out....

mtbr member
    +1, jshoe. I was told no delivery dates yet which means it's going to be a while.

mtbr member
    Is there any provision for a derailleur hanger for 1x10? I'm getting some conflicting info on this and I like to switch it up between geared and SS...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm assuming no der hanger option.

Per the Spesh spec page:
    Specialized M4SL Aluminum, 29er singlespeed specific frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what it looks like in the pics I've seen, but one reviewer said there was a spot for a hanger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    I'm assuming no der hanger option.

Per the Spesh spec page:
    Specialized M4SL Aluminum, 29er singlespeed specific frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger
    I'd assume there is since it notes there is a replaceable hanger.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I'd assume there is since it notes there is a replaceable hanger.
    Good eye erichwic, I missed that part.

I think I want one of these bikes....

mtbr member
    Looks like the drive side seat stay has "Warts" for a rear derailleur cable, so a 1x10 is possible. Nothing for a front derailleur though.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So apparently I can't post pics until I've got 10 posts, so I guess I need to get to it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At the bike shop

After a few rides (much more dirty)

Changes that were done when the bike was purchased tubeless conversion w/Gorilla tape and Stans, and removal of the wheel decals. No need to mention, but I will anyway that the rear blinky and Garmin are just accessories.

Weight without cages, Garmin, rear blinky, and including pedals was just at ~22.25 lbs. This is a 19 or Large in Specialized.

Sorry it took so long posting I didn't want to just randomly spam just to get my post count up.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Truly a nice lookin bike!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to getting mine. How heavy are the wheels? My 2013 Epic Carbon Comp wheelset was 2100 grams! I lost a pound of rotational weight by replacing the stock wheels with Stans Arch EX wheelset. I'm guessing the SL will require a wheel upgrade as well....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I didn't weight the wheels individually because that whole thing isn't important to me honestly. Overall weight is, somewhat, but individual components aren't.

I'll be probably upgrading to a riser bar of some sort due to hand numbness..etc I've been getting on this. I'll also be replacing the grips with something a little less crappy. The wings on the grips are somewhat softer than the Ergons that I have on my other bike (which my wife has taken due to the agreement we had).

I'll have to have my bike shop show me how to tension the chain when I go there again. This will help with me being able to work with it out on the trail if I encounter skipping..etc.

I have a race, Epic Rides Tour of the White Mountains, next weekend and I just want to be more prepared
    Last edited by antimike; 09-26-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: additional detail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I almost ordered one of these, but I chickened out as I wasn't sure about not having gears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    I almost ordered one of these, but I chickened out as I wasn't sure about not having gears.
    It is one of those things that until you actually ride one you won't understand.

I'd ridden one single speed twice before, and I fell in love.

If you have the chance to test ride one, I recommend that you do it.

You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I mean... I have probably about 2-3 hours of riding singlespeed single track under my belt, but I think it'd have to be a secondary mtb for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool looking bike. Add carbon bars and seatpost and it will be down in the 21# range, mostly stock. I want one! best of all its BLACK.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I work at a bike shop in Wyoming, and all I have heard from our reps is how awesome this bike is! The owner just got back from interbike last weekend and he had a bunch of good things to say about this bike too! I want to ride one extremely bad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Antimike, that bike is badass! how was the ride on it? I want to ride one so bad! Thanks for posting those pictures

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast