mtbr member
    May 2012

2013 Carve pro vs Stumpjumper Comp

I'm debating between these two bikes. Carve pro has better drivetrain components and I like the 100mm fox fork.

The Stumpjumper has a better frame. Why does the fork only have 90mm of travel? This is my primary concern. Will I really notice the extra 10mm of travel on the Carve Pro?

Does anyone know the weights of these bikes? I know the carve comp is obviously heavier than the stumpy comp but I would guess that the carve pro is close in weight to the stumpjumper comp.

Price is only $200 more for the SJ so that is not really much of an issue.

Background information:
    I have a 150mm travel FS bike. I love this bike but I am looking for a 29er hardtail since 70% of my riding is on fast xc type trails. There are still plenty of roots and rocks so I want a good fork with enough travel. I will still keep the FS for the gnarly rides so this bike won't have to do doulble duty. I just want a faster hardtail bike for the majority of my every day riding.

Opinions please.

mtbr member

The Sj frame is more racy while the Carve is more all around. Go for the Stumpy and take the spacers out of the front fork if you notice the 10mm difference in travel. The Stumpy frame will be a smudge lighter as well.
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member

Also the Stumpy HT Evo would be good for your technical rooty stuff
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottesq View Post
    Also the Stumpy HT Evo would be good for your technical rooty stuff
    I like the EVO but I don't like the 1x10. I really need the little.front ring. Lots of climbing around here and I need all the help I van get.

mtbr member

I had the SJ comp and I just took out the 10mm spacer in the fork and put a 2.2 Captain on the front and it was pretty Evo. You will want to change out the renegades that come with the Stumpy if you get it. They are great for hard pack but not so much for roots and rocks
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So the fork on the 2013 SJ comp can be converted to 100mm by removing an internal spacer???

mtbr member

Yes
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    A medium Stumpjumper Comp is like 24.25 lbs without pedals... A medium Carve Pro will be 25.75 lbs.

The Stumpjumper is lighter.

I wouldn't necessarily call the drivetrain on the Carve Pro any better than whats on the Stumpjumper. Honestly, I'd call X9 equal to the XT+. I know that arguement can potentially go on till the end of time...

Stumpjumper comes with Magura brakes instead of the Avids, most seem to think this is a great thing.

The Fox fork is a bit more plush, but not as easily servicable as the Reba. 100mm vs 90mm... really doesn't matter. This should not be your primary concern.

If you want a more agressive geometry setup for racing, get the Stumpjumper. If you want something better suited for trail riding and a bit more comfortable, get the Carve. This is honestly what your questions boils down to between these two models.

Judging from your brief post, I'd save the Carve is better suited for you.

An easier decision would be between the Carve models and the Stumpy Evo, which have like purposes, but you benefit from the M5 frame and better componentry with the Evo... and replace the crank with something more accomodating(or grow stronger).

I had to make this same decision mid-last year when the models were being announced. I don't race, just trail ride recreationally, and bikepack. I wanted something comfortable and capable. An agressive geo wasn't what I needed for hours on hours on end for bikepacking. I was told the Evo wouldn't be available until even later and specs on it hadn't been released yet(although they ended up changing much from the previous year). I went with a Carve Expert, it weighed just as much as the Pro and the I'm perfectly happy with the Reba... The other components where the Pro shines over the Expert, I'd be replacing anyway.

I bought a set of Stans Flows, a Phenom saddle, and replaced the rear Ground Control with a Fast Trak Control and the bike weighed in at 24.25 w/o pedals(equal to a Stumpy Comp).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You can't go wrong either way. They are both great bikes but I would go Stumpy, the brakes and the wheels are worth the extra money, the fork is personal pref but you will not miss the extra 10mm (and you can always increase it for free), the drivetrains are comparable. The stumpy frame will have better resale value when the time comes. Do you prefer a pf30 bottom bracket or a englished threaded? What bike fits you better? The geometry is slightly different. I don't think you can't go wrong, good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was told by a Specialized person on another thread and by my LBS that the wheels on the Carve will not last too long and that they are designed for people 180 and under. Does anyone know if the Rovals on the Stumpy are more durable? This isn't a huge consideration for me as I would put Stan's on once the Carve wheels start wearing out. I am 190, so a bit above the weight recommendation. I am leaning towards the Carve, but am waiting to be able to ride both on the same day to do a direct comparison.

mtbr member

I have an 11 Stumpy SS and I am at 200 most days with no issues. Also I have a 13 Epic Comp with the Roval wheels with no issues.
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shenvalleybiker View Post
    I was told by a Specialized person on another thread and by my LBS that the wheels on the Carve will not last too long and that they are designed for people 180 and under.
    is it about 2013 or 2012 Carve's wheels?
    2012 rims wider and heavier (more durable, IMO)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by e1dorado View Post
    is it about 2013 or 2012 Carve's wheels?
    2012 rims wider and heavier (more durable, IMO)
    I believe he was talking about the 2013 Carve wheels. I would agree with you regarding the 2012. I looks like that was one place the saved weight in going from the 2012 to the 2013.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shenvalleybiker View Post
    I believe he was talking about the 2013 Carve wheels. I would agree with you regarding the 2012. I looks like that was one place the saved weight in going from the 2012 to the 2013.
    riding on a '13 Carve and I'm by no means a light weight - around 210-215ish now. They get beat up pretty good and I think the only time I've had issues with the wheel are when I tried to bunny hop a log and didn't quite clear it so the rear wheel slammed pretty hard into said log.

also when I pulled the RD into the spokes - otherwise the Stout SL's on the '13 have been pretty good

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great! Sounds like the wheels will be great for a good bit then, unless I hit too many logs. That will probably never happen. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Be sure to check the dish on the stock carve wheels (2013). Both the front and rear were off on mine at the time of purchase and had to be corrected.

Also, I weigh 225 and have been on some pretty rough stuff lately and they're holding up very well. I run tubeless at 35psi fr and 38psi rear.

Yes I know this is post is a bit dated...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all the input. I am considering the same 2 bikes and weighing everything up here I reckon I'll choose the stumpy and I'll be waiting for the 2014 model. But wait, have I considered all options, are there any other similar bikes with similar price point in other brands that I should be considering? thanks in advance for any input. Andy