mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2013 Carve loose bottom bracket

Just curious if there are any secrets to tightening the crank in the bb on a 2013 carve. Its an ezternal bb and a 2-piece crank. Just noticed while cleaning that the crank is loose in the bb but the big 8mm allen head is tight. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had a similar issue with mine. For me it was the dust cover on the bottom bracket it was worn out and damaged when i serviced my cranks. I could not find a replacement dust cover so i got a new bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Dust cover? I'm not familiar with a dust cover on the bb?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    There should not be any end-float on the crank - there is a wave washer on the LHS to take up any end-float tolerance. Therefore you have worn something out. Disassemble the crank and have a look. It is an easy job to put some plastic PF30 washers (most PF30/BB30 kits have about 6 in them) on the LHS or RHS to take up the extra end-float.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    There should not be any end-float on the crank - there is a wave washer on the LHS to take up any end-float tolerance. Therefore you have worn something out. Disassemble the crank and have a look. It is an easy job to put some plastic PF30 washers (most PF30/BB30 kits have about 6 in them) on the LHS or RHS to take up the extra end-float.
    He doesn't have a PF/BB30. The Carve comes with a threaded external-type BB. Sounds like your BB is shot to me.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    He doesn't have a PF/BB30. The Carve comes with a threaded external-type BB. Sounds like your BB is shot to me.
    Ah yes, missed that. 100% the BB is shot. You need a new GXP BB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here's the follow-up. I took it to the shop as the self extracting bolt was was just spinning against the outer cap on the crank arm. Turns out that the shoulder of that bolt was broken somehow and the extractor bolt would not cinch down the crank arm. Because the shoulder was broken, it wouldn't push the crank arm off the spindle either.

Well, now that it's off, the outer 20mm, or whatever size it is, cap that the extractor bolt pushes against is frozen. If that can't be removed, the crank arm is toast. The bb is fine.

Well update again.

mtbr member
    How many miles do you have on your Carve? I got about 1800 street and trail miles on my stock BB before I noticed my outer chain ring taping my derailer when I was pedaling. I just upgraded to the XT crankset and it came with a new BB. BTW it is a much nicer setup and saves a bit of weight as well over the stock Crank. It was not to expensive at Blue Sky Cycles (on line) since the world is going to 2X10 or 1X10 (11) the 3X10 setup was under $200 shipped.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The bike has less than 200 miles. The bb was indeed shot as well, so new bb and crank bolts have solved the issue. I guess they really cheaped out on the bb.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I did 2100+ dirt miles in 2013 and probably put 400-500 dirt miles on it in late 2012 when I bought my 2013 Carve Expert. My BB is still holding true.

Sounds like you just got a dud.