Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Carve

38K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  millertm 
#1 ·
Anyone have any information on the specs for the Carve line for 2013? I rode a 2012 Carve pro for a few days and I was impressed and would like to get one. However I have heard that the 2013's will have better specs but I cannot confirm this.

#3 ·
Specialized Bicycle Components

2013 Carve Comp seems more in line with the 2012 Carve Expert specs, and also closer to its price point. Big differences are Recon Gold with the '13 Comp(which was spec'd on the Pro model in '12), and a 2x10 drive train on the '13(rather than 3x10 on '12 Expert/Pros).

2013 Carve Expert in Europe(no idea about US yet) is being spec'd with a Reba.

https://cdn.hibike.com/image/product/MTH/MTH_Se39CAX-bl-or-sw-il.jpg

I think the 2013 values are up compared to this years model. Also better color schemes.

#4 ·
Not sure what to do, I like the idea of a 2X10 on the 2013 comp, however the 2012 pro was perfect with the Shimano brakes and a lot of XT stuff. I haven't been able to see what the other 2013 carves will have spec wise, so I may wait but then all of the 2012's may be gone.

#5 ·
I just got the 2013 Comp and Love it. My old bike had Derore LX shifters so I was a little hesitant to change over to the Sram but it was not a big deal at all. I love the 2x10 set up as well.

#7 ·
Just got my 2013 Carve Comp

I really like the bike, but I had the shop convert it to Tubeless immediately and add a bottle cage, then as soon as I got home I put it on the scale and it is exactly 27Lbs in a Medium including the stock pedals which are 440gr.

I found out that the seatpost and saddle together are 630gr, a bit too much so I am planning to replace them and drop that down to around 400gr, next I will replace the handlebar with a carbon one and I would expect to save another 100 to 150gr. The bike should then be around be 26Lbs

#8 ·
I brought my 2013 Carve Expert home on Tuesday. Completely stock without pedals it weighed 25.7 lbs. I immediately swapped the stock wheels out with Stans Flow EXs and went tubeless, the seat out for a Phenom Gel, and the rear tire out for a Fast Trak LK Control. Weight without pedals dropped to 24.25 lbs. This is on a size medium frame.

Really like the bike. I didn't want to settle for a fork lesser than a Reba, since I have a Reba on my old bike. Components are on par for the price level, the Ground Control tires are great(even though I swapped out the rear for the Fast Trak LK). Only two rides so far, but I already feel great on the bike.

The Pro model is supposed to be spec'd with a Fox fork, not sure what else?

#10 ·
I brought my 2013 Carve Expert home on Tuesday. Completely stock without pedals it weighed 25.7 lbs. I immediately swapped the stock wheels out with Stans Flow EXs and went tubeless, the seat out for a Phenom Gel, and the rear tire out for a Fast Trak LK Control. Weight without pedals dropped to 24.25 lbs. This is on a size medium frame.

Really like the bike. I didn't want to settle for a fork lesser than a Reba, since I have a Reba on my old bike. Components are on par for the price level, the Ground Control tires are great(even though I swapped out the rear for the Fast Trak LK). Only two rides so far, but I already feel great on the bike.

The Pro model is supposed to be spec'd with a Fox fork, not sure what else?
Carve Pro - Sorry, can't post a link, not enough posts. Google "Primera Sports Carve Pro"

FRAME Specialized M4SL Aluminium, 29er frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger

REAR SHOCK

FORK FOX Evolution series Float 29, CTD damper, tapered alloy steerer, CTD damper, open 9mm dropout, external rebound adj., 100mm travel

HEADSET Integrated 1-1/8" upper and 1-1/2" lower threadless, Campy-style, full cartridge bearings

STEM Specialized 3D forged 6061 alloy, 4 bolt clamp, 7º rise, 31.8mm

HANDLEBARS Flat bar, 6061 double butted alloy, 700mm wide, 10º backsweep, 4º upsweep, 31.8mm

GRIPS Specialized BodyGeometry XCT, Kraton rubber w/ gel, closed end, 132mm, lock-on

FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir 5RSL, hydraulic disc w/ alloy backed super light pads, 180mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir 5RSL, hydraulic disc w/ alloy backed super light pads, 160mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Elixir 5R SL, hydraulic lever, tool-less reach adjust

FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X7, 10-speed 2X10, 34.9mm clamp

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus, 10-Speed, GS cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SLX, 10-speed Rapidfire plus, SL type

CASSETTE SRAM PG 1030, 10-speed cassette, 11-36

CHAIN KMC X-10L, 10-speed w/ hollow outer links and reusable Missing Link

CRANKSET Custom SRAM S1250 2pc, 10-speed XC double for 29er, GXP

CHAINRINGS 36/22, Aluminium

BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP BB for 2pc, 73mm shell

PEDALS Alloy 1pc. body and cage, w/ reflectors, 9/16"

RIMS Carve SL Disc, 29", alloy double-wall, sleeve joint, 26mm, 32h

FRONT HUB Specialized MTB disc hub, alloy, Hi Lo flange, cartridge bearings, alloy axle, QR, 32h

REAR HUB Specialized MTB disc hub, alloy, Hi Lo flange, cartridge bearings, steel axle, steel cassette body, QR, 32h

SPOKES Stainless, 2.0mm (14g)

FRONT TYRE Specialized Ground Control, 29x2.1", Kevlar bead, 60TPI

REAR TYRE Specialized Ground Control, 29x2.1", Kevlar bead, 60TPI

INNER TUBES Presta valve

SADDLE Specialized BodyGeometry Carve SL, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width

SEATPOST Specialized 2 bolt head, forged alloy, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 27.2mm, 350mm or 400mm

SEAT BINDER 31.8mm, forged alloy QR, brass washer

NOTES chainstay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual

Specifications subject to change without notice.

#12 ·
I may be changing my mind and going with a Scott Scale.I like the relaxed head angle on the Scott and they are becoming available now. I need a small and the Carves may not be available for a while. The Scales are in my area now and they are specd really well around the same price as the Carve.

#14 ·
Using gear calculator it looks like with 36 tooth chain ring on the carve you will top out at 22 mph spinning at 80 rpms. With a 44 tooth ring you top out at 27 mph. So going down hill you will top them both out but on the flats you should be good unless you can really fly.

#18 ·
Just got mine this morning!

2013 Carve Expert. Didn't weigh but had the impression it was lighter. Seems the wheels are lighter

Can't post links due to low post count
I have a 2013 Carve Expert in medium, it weighed 25.7 lbs stock with tubes. 24.25 lbs tubeless with Flow EXs and a Phenom Gel seat :D

BTW, there's a dedicated Carve thread at http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/post-your-carve-786424.html for everyone wanting to post pics up, it needs a good "UP" anyway :thumbsup:

#17 ·
The Carves are here!

Hey all, posted on the Subie thread too but wanted to post a quick pic for my Carve brethren:

Picked up the new Carves today from our LBS. Rack is the Thule 594XT Sidearm. Mine is on top, 2013 Carve Expert. Wifey's is in the Subie, 2012 Carve Pro. Can't wait to get them dirty! :D

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Picked up a Carve Pro size medium this past weekend. With all the rain we've been getting (almost 10" in the past week?!), I stuck to fire roads. I only managed to ride it about 20 miles this weekend.

It is a stock Carve with Stan's tubeless conversion, Ergon 30 bar ends, and a bottle cage. I moved my old Time ATACs over from my last bike. The bike weighs 26# as shown here. Can't post photos yet.

How different the Carve is from the last bike! My last bike was a 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race with lots of upgrades over the years (SID fork, lots of Ritchey parts and wheels, some XT, etc.). I bought the bike in SoCal and between the topography of north Mississippi and the intervening 15 years, I couldn't ride the old bike for more than 30 minutes without stopping from back pain. I've spent up to an hour on this bike with NO pain.

The BB heights and seat heights are almost identical, but the wide handlebars sit about 3" higher, just above the saddle, on the new bike.

And this bike hooks up. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or the low tire pressure or the different geometry, but on leaf-covered mud where I would have to pedal gingerly to keep traction on the old bike, the new bike gets traction and rolls up.

#21 ·
Picked up a Carve Pro size medium this past weekend. With all the rain we've been getting (almost 10" in the past week?!), I stuck to fire roads. I only managed to ride it about 20 miles this weekend.

It is a stock Carve with Stan's tubeless conversion, Ergon 30 bar ends, and a bottle cage. I moved my old Time ATACs over from my last bike. The bike weighs 26# as shown here. Can't post photos yet.

How different the Carve is from the last bike! My last bike was a 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race with lots of upgrades over the years (SID fork, lots of Ritchey parts and wheels, some XT, etc.). I bought the bike in SoCal and between the topography of north Mississippi and the intervening 15 years, I couldn't ride the old bike for more than 30 minutes without stopping from back pain. I've spent up to an hour on this bike with NO pain.

The BB heights and seat heights are almost identical, but the wide handlebars sit about 3" higher, just above the saddle, on the new bike.

And this bike hooks up. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or the low tire pressure or the different geometry, but on leaf-covered mud where I would have to pedal gingerly to keep traction on the old bike, the new bike spins up.
Sounds great, when you can post photos up, update the Carve photo thread at http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/post-your-carve-786424.html :thumbsup:

#20 ·
My 2012 Expert with heavy thorn resistant tubs and liners comes in at 33.7 lbs, but it is a 23" XXL. Since I am a Clyde it is ok to have a bit more weight. Rims on the 2012 are heavy and so is the Reba Recon Silver fork. Heads up on the 2X10 Vs 3X10, there is no 44T sprocket, 42T is the largest on the 3X10's, I can get a bit over 30mph at 100RPM's at the crank (downhill). But mid 20's on the flat. Since I use my bike to ride to work as well as mtn bike I could not use the 2X10.

Mark

#22 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a Carve SL 29 as my first 29-er. Took it for a test ride last weekend and really liked it.

No I'm just wondering if let's say after 6 months I get tired of the single speed, I know I can easily convert it to a 1x10. But will it also be possible to change out the front and add a front derailleur?

Thanks!

#29 ·
So I now have 100 miles on my Carve. 5 miles of road, probably about 30 miles fire road and the rest singletrack. I'm really enjoying it.

(1) No back pain. This replaced a 1996 Rocky Mountain with very aggressive geometry. That bike hurt my back after about 30 minutes. If nothing else changed (and see 2 and 3 below), this bike would have been a major upgrade.

(2) About 10% faster. No, I haven't done back to back loops, but my average speed is at least 10% faster on the new bike looking at average speeds over similar terrain on the GPS. These are on tight trails with lots of switchbacks. On a loop with more flow, I cut over 30 minutes off a 2 hour ride - but I also didn't need to stop and stretch my back every 30 minutes.

(3) Lower tire pressure (tubeless) and big wheels really do give more traction. Frankly I think it's more the tubeless and 30 psi than the big wheels. I ran my tires at 60 psi this afternoon to see what it was like, and I was slip sliding everywhere. With this bike, I can clear some rocky sections and slippery uphills that I always walked with my old bike (at 30 psi on the new bike).

(4) The fork is plush compared to my old SID. Stiffer too. No side to side wobble.

(5) Shadow + rear mech is really nice. I'd frequently jump a chain when I rode through a bunch of roots. Now, it's silent and no jumps. It's also easier to quickly clean the chain post-ride since the rear mech holds the chain.

(6) I'm getting used to the wider handlebar. I think it's a little wider than my motorcycle handlebar. It's pretty comfortable, but there are plenty of places where I bang trees around here. Might go a little narrower. We'll see.

(7) Brakes are very meh. I can stop, but no better or worse than my old v-brakes. FWIW this has been my experience on the one other disc brake bike I rode a long time ago (Fuel at a Trek Demo). I've only ever had one hill on my old bike (with v-brakes) where I was underbraking, so I never minded v-brakes.

(8) Paint is pretty, but scratches easily.

(9) The bottle cage is way too high on the down tube. I can barely fit a 20 oz bottle into the Specialized cage. I practically need to stop to yank it out. I usually ride with a Camelbak, but this is still annoying.

(10) Who decided to put WHITE cotton-y material on the back of a mountain bike seat? The color is now between tan and gray.

#34 ·
Good luck with that. There is no way to get a 44 up front. I have tried but you will rub in your lower gears in the 32 or 24 sprocket. This 10 spd front derailer is very narrow and I can not even get the old SJ 22/32/44 (3X10) setup to work. Stock Carve Expert will spin out at 32mph. That is fast enough for a 29 lbs 29er to turn heads.

Mark

#33 ·
Just put on a Henge Comp seat to replace the warrantied stock seat. The stock seat has a longer nose and a shallower groove than the Henge seat. On my kitchen scale, the stock seat was 240 g and the Henge Comp about 250 g, so a wash, weight wise.

On the trail, I noticed the different seat for about 15 minutes, then it disappeared.

Continuing to enjoy my Carve. Have ~ 300 miles on it in 2 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.