Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Carve

mtbr member

2013 Carve

Anyone have any information on the specs for the Carve line for 2013? I rode a 2012 Carve pro for a few days and I was impressed and would like to get one. However I have heard that the 2013's will have better specs but I cannot confirm this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    2013 lines already on off. site in "Early Launch" thread
    headtube became shorter (100 mm fork). It's not good, I think

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Specialized Bicycle Components

2013 Carve Comp seems more in line with the 2012 Carve Expert specs, and also closer to its price point. Big differences are Recon Gold with the '13 Comp(which was spec'd on the Pro model in '12), and a 2x10 drive train on the '13(rather than 3x10 on '12 Expert/Pros).

2013 Carve Expert in Europe(no idea about US yet) is being spec'd with a Reba.

http://cdn.hibike.com/image/product/...l-or-sw-il.jpg

I think the 2013 values are up compared to this years model. Also better color schemes.

mtbr member
    Not sure what to do, I like the idea of a 2X10 on the 2013 comp, however the 2012 pro was perfect with the Shimano brakes and a lot of XT stuff. I haven't been able to see what the other 2013 carves will have spec wise, so I may wait but then all of the 2012's may be gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just got the 2013 Comp and Love it. My old bike had Derore LX shifters so I was a little hesitant to change over to the Sram but it was not a big deal at all. I love the 2x10 set up as well.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I've got an '13 Expert Carve on order, LBS seems to think they'll be available before July ends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Just got my 2013 Carve Comp

I really like the bike, but I had the shop convert it to Tubeless immediately and add a bottle cage, then as soon as I got home I put it on the scale and it is exactly 27Lbs in a Medium including the stock pedals which are 440gr.

I found out that the seatpost and saddle together are 630gr, a bit too much so I am planning to replace them and drop that down to around 400gr, next I will replace the handlebar with a carbon one and I would expect to save another 100 to 150gr. The bike should then be around be 26Lbs

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I brought my 2013 Carve Expert home on Tuesday. Completely stock without pedals it weighed 25.7 lbs. I immediately swapped the stock wheels out with Stans Flow EXs and went tubeless, the seat out for a Phenom Gel, and the rear tire out for a Fast Trak LK Control. Weight without pedals dropped to 24.25 lbs. This is on a size medium frame.

Really like the bike. I didn't want to settle for a fork lesser than a Reba, since I have a Reba on my old bike. Components are on par for the price level, the Ground Control tires are great(even though I swapped out the rear for the Fast Trak LK). Only two rides so far, but I already feel great on the bike.

The Pro model is supposed to be spec'd with a Fox fork, not sure what else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Today I took apart the handlebar and it weights in at 315gr.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    I brought my 2013 Carve Expert home on Tuesday. Completely stock without pedals it weighed 25.7 lbs. I immediately swapped the stock wheels out with Stans Flow EXs and went tubeless, the seat out for a Phenom Gel, and the rear tire out for a Fast Trak LK Control. Weight without pedals dropped to 24.25 lbs. This is on a size medium frame.

Really like the bike. I didn't want to settle for a fork lesser than a Reba, since I have a Reba on my old bike. Components are on par for the price level, the Ground Control tires are great(even though I swapped out the rear for the Fast Trak LK). Only two rides so far, but I already feel great on the bike.

The Pro model is supposed to be spec'd with a Fox fork, not sure what else?
    Carve Pro - Sorry, can't post a link, not enough posts. Google "Primera Sports Carve Pro"

FRAME Specialized M4SL Aluminium, 29er frame w/ XC geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welding, tapered headtube and seat tube, forged post mount 160mm disc dropouts, alloy replaceable der. hanger

REAR SHOCK

FORK FOX Evolution series Float 29, CTD damper, tapered alloy steerer, CTD damper, open 9mm dropout, external rebound adj., 100mm travel

HEADSET Integrated 1-1/8" upper and 1-1/2" lower threadless, Campy-style, full cartridge bearings

STEM Specialized 3D forged 6061 alloy, 4 bolt clamp, 7 rise, 31.8mm

HANDLEBARS Flat bar, 6061 double butted alloy, 700mm wide, 10 backsweep, 4 upsweep, 31.8mm

GRIPS Specialized BodyGeometry XCT, Kraton rubber w/ gel, closed end, 132mm, lock-on

FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir 5RSL, hydraulic disc w/ alloy backed super light pads, 180mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir 5RSL, hydraulic disc w/ alloy backed super light pads, 160mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Elixir 5R SL, hydraulic lever, tool-less reach adjust

FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X7, 10-speed 2X10, 34.9mm clamp

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus, 10-Speed, GS cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SLX, 10-speed Rapidfire plus, SL type

CASSETTE SRAM PG 1030, 10-speed cassette, 11-36

CHAIN KMC X-10L, 10-speed w/ hollow outer links and reusable Missing Link

CRANKSET Custom SRAM S1250 2pc, 10-speed XC double for 29er, GXP

CHAINRINGS 36/22, Aluminium

BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP BB for 2pc, 73mm shell

PEDALS Alloy 1pc. body and cage, w/ reflectors, 9/16"

RIMS Carve SL Disc, 29", alloy double-wall, sleeve joint, 26mm, 32h

FRONT HUB Specialized MTB disc hub, alloy, Hi Lo flange, cartridge bearings, alloy axle, QR, 32h

REAR HUB Specialized MTB disc hub, alloy, Hi Lo flange, cartridge bearings, steel axle, steel cassette body, QR, 32h

SPOKES Stainless, 2.0mm (14g)

FRONT TYRE Specialized Ground Control, 29x2.1", Kevlar bead, 60TPI

REAR TYRE Specialized Ground Control, 29x2.1", Kevlar bead, 60TPI

INNER TUBES Presta valve

SADDLE Specialized BodyGeometry Carve SL, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width

SEATPOST Specialized 2 bolt head, forged alloy, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 27.2mm, 350mm or 400mm

SEAT BINDER 31.8mm, forged alloy QR, brass washer

NOTES chainstay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual

Specifications subject to change without notice.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post
    Carve Pro - Sorry, can't post a link, not enough posts. Google "Primera Sports Carve Pro"
    Thanks

So changes over the 2013 Expert model Carve include:

Fox Float CTD Evolution 100mm fork
    Avid Elixir 5 brakes
    Shimano XT Shadow Plus rear deraileur
    Shimano SLX shifters

Its a very cool looking frame IMO, very racey lookin

mtbr member
    I may be changing my mind and going with a Scott Scale.I like the relaxed head angle on the Scott and they are becoming available now. I need a small and the Carves may not be available for a while. The Scales are in my area now and they are specd really well around the same price as the Carve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thinking of getting a Carve. I sometimes ride on the road. Will the 2 x 10 setup give enough gearing for occasional road riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Using gear calculator it looks like with 36 tooth chain ring on the carve you will top out at 22 mph spinning at 80 rpms. With a 44 tooth ring you top out at 27 mph. So going down hill you will top them both out but on the flats you should be good unless you can really fly.
    2013 Carve Comp

"It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    My girlfriend just bought a 2013 Carve Comp. The bike shop weighed it and the 2012 Carve Expert. The former came in at 26.5lbs. while the latter tipped the scales at about 28 or so lbs.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just got mine this morning!

2013 Carve Expert. Didn't weigh but had the impression it was lighter. Seems the wheels are lighter

Can't post links due to low post count

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

The Carves are here!

Hey all, posted on the Subie thread too but wanted to post a quick pic for my Carve brethren:

Picked up the new Carves today from our LBS. Rack is the Thule 594XT Sidearm. Mine is on top, 2013 Carve Expert. Wifey's is in the Subie, 2012 Carve Pro. Can't wait to get them dirty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Carve-image.jpg  

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hompie View Post
    Just got mine this morning!

2013 Carve Expert. Didn't weigh but had the impression it was lighter. Seems the wheels are lighter

Can't post links due to low post count
    I have a 2013 Carve Expert in medium, it weighed 25.7 lbs stock with tubes. 24.25 lbs tubeless with Flow EXs and a Phenom Gel seat

BTW, there's a dedicated Carve thread at Post your Carve for everyone wanting to post pics up, it needs a good "UP" anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Picked up a Carve Pro size medium this past weekend. With all the rain we've been getting (almost 10" in the past week?!), I stuck to fire roads. I only managed to ride it about 20 miles this weekend.

It is a stock Carve with Stan's tubeless conversion, Ergon 30 bar ends, and a bottle cage. I moved my old Time ATACs over from my last bike. The bike weighs 26# as shown here. Can't post photos yet.

How different the Carve is from the last bike! My last bike was a 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race with lots of upgrades over the years (SID fork, lots of Ritchey parts and wheels, some XT, etc.). I bought the bike in SoCal and between the topography of north Mississippi and the intervening 15 years, I couldn't ride the old bike for more than 30 minutes without stopping from back pain. I've spent up to an hour on this bike with NO pain.

The BB heights and seat heights are almost identical, but the wide handlebars sit about 3" higher, just above the saddle, on the new bike.

And this bike hooks up. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or the low tire pressure or the different geometry, but on leaf-covered mud where I would have to pedal gingerly to keep traction on the old bike, the new bike gets traction and rolls up.
    Last edited by Gregon2wheels; 01-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    My 2012 Expert with heavy thorn resistant tubs and liners comes in at 33.7 lbs, but it is a 23" XXL. Since I am a Clyde it is ok to have a bit more weight. Rims on the 2012 are heavy and so is the Reba Recon Silver fork. Heads up on the 2X10 Vs 3X10, there is no 44T sprocket, 42T is the largest on the 3X10's, I can get a bit over 30mph at 100RPM's at the crank (downhill). But mid 20's on the flat. Since I use my bike to ride to work as well as mtn bike I could not use the 2X10.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    Picked up a Carve Pro size medium this past weekend. With all the rain we've been getting (almost 10" in the past week?!), I stuck to fire roads. I only managed to ride it about 20 miles this weekend.

It is a stock Carve with Stan's tubeless conversion, Ergon 30 bar ends, and a bottle cage. I moved my old Time ATACs over from my last bike. The bike weighs 26# as shown here. Can't post photos yet.

How different the Carve is from the last bike! My last bike was a 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race with lots of upgrades over the years (SID fork, lots of Ritchey parts and wheels, some XT, etc.). I bought the bike in SoCal and between the topography of north Mississippi and the intervening 15 years, I couldn't ride the old bike for more than 30 minutes without stopping from back pain. I've spent up to an hour on this bike with NO pain.

The BB heights and seat heights are almost identical, but the wide handlebars sit about 3" higher, just above the saddle, on the new bike.

And this bike hooks up. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or the low tire pressure or the different geometry, but on leaf-covered mud where I would have to pedal gingerly to keep traction on the old bike, the new bike spins up.
    Sounds great, when you can post photos up, update the Carve photo thread at Post your Carve

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a Carve SL 29 as my first 29-er. Took it for a test ride last weekend and really liked it.

No I'm just wondering if let's say after 6 months I get tired of the single speed, I know I can easily convert it to a 1x10. But will it also be possible to change out the front and add a front derailleur?

Thanks!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    There are no mounts for routing a front deraileur cable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hmmm, I called my lbs after work and they said it wouldn't be a problem as the frame is identical to the geared Carves...

mtbr member
    They're wrong. The frames are identical except the geared Carves have a tab for the front derailleur cable and the single speed frame does not. I know this as I own a SS SL29 Carve and there is no tab for a front derailleur cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopie81 View Post
    Hmmm, I called my lbs after work and they said it wouldn't be a problem as the frame is identical to the geared Carves...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast