mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2012 stumpy fsr upgrades

Have some cash and thinking about upgrading my bike. I have read that the best place to start is a wheel set. I ride single track and fire roads. Any recommendations? Has anyone bought the carbon wheels from light bicycle?

I honestly don't know a thing about making wheels so don't even know if I should go down this road. Anything else I should be considering. How are the stock wheels on these bikes? Weight of them compared to a carbon set?? Thanks
    My bike is stock right now. Got in lat August and rode it hard 2 months. I love it. Maybe I should just leave it be as we'll.

mtbr member
    On my 2013 Stumpy my stock wheelset weighed around 1600g. I swapped to Roval Traverse SL carbon wheels, which are only 100g lighter. Not a huge difference on paper, but the ride quality, stiffness and response is amazing. Climbing is alot easier too. Dropping rotational mass is the most noticable change you can make to your bike.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wheels & brakes are by far the best upgrade to any bike. I have had good luck with American Classic, and DT Swiss wheels. As for brakes Hope is by far the best brakes out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Stiffer wheels made a big difference in the ride and feel. I went with Hope hubs and Mavic rims with 36 spokes. I'd suggest going with Stans rims, if you're interested in going tubeless.

I swapped the Avid brakes for Shimano XT. It's definitely worth it. I had constant problems with the Avid Elixer setup. I also got a set of X0 shifters that I like much better than the stock X7 shifters, but that's probably a personal preference.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I really liked my American Classic AM wheels on my 26" FSR.
    They were light and stiff, the rear hub was solid too.
    You can usually find some deals on them if you look around!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggerfam View Post
    Have some cash and thinking about upgrading my bike. I have read that the best place to start is a wheel set. I ride single track and fire roads. Any recommendations? Has anyone bought the carbon wheels from light bicycle?

I honestly don't know a thing about making wheels so don't even know if I should go down this road. Anything else I should be considering. How are the stock wheels on these bikes? Weight of them compared to a carbon set?? Thanks
    My bike is stock right now. Got in lat August and rode it hard 2 months. I love it. Maybe I should just leave it be as we'll.
    "Wheels & brakes are by far the best upgrade to any bike"
    This!

I upgraded to carbon wheels from LB. Built them up with DT swiss 240 hubs @ 1470gr. Compared to the stock wheelset 1680gr, the bike came to alive even more. Have ridden them 10-15 times so no long term review but Im a happy guy.

2012 stumpy fsr upgrades-p4pb9224018.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    my problem is that i do not know how to order the LB rims, and how to build a wheelset. Hubs, spokes, etc.... all greek to me. i can do everything else on a bike but wheelsets. Is there a thread around that shows how to order and build a wheelset? I am looking to spend around 500 to 1000

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Take a look at richard bikes. They built custom industry nine wheels with the classic hubs.

Industry Nine Torch Classic Custom 26", 29er & 650b Wheel Builder - RBikes.com Selling Bikes Since 1910