Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16

    New question here. 2012 Stumpy Closeout Prices?

    Talking to LBS today, looking for a deal on a 2012 Stumpjumper HT 29er Comp.

    They have one in my size, but the "closeout" price is only a couple hundred below retail (told the firm closeout price is $1900).

    I thought closeout prices would be more like 25-30% below retail. It that just not true with Stumpy Hardtail?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,415
    Opps
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    Got mine for 50% off. Last one on the floor. Luckily my size.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    ?? My math says that $300 off $2200 is 13.6%
    2200 - 13.6%. = 1900.80.
    2200 - 34% = 1452

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    I think MSRP for the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er (Hard Tail) is $2100. But, $2200 for the 2013 model.

    Fritzoc, you found one for around $1100-$1200? Can I hire you to do my Christmas shopping this year?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,914

    20% to 30%

    2012 bikes should be discounted about 20% now. 30% is a great deal,

    I know this is the Special Forum, but I would suggest shopping around for other hardtails. This is one area where I don't think Special offers a very good value.

    For instance a 2012 Cannondale flash alloy 1 or even a carbon 3 can be had for under 2000. They have a better parts spec, and are POUNDS lighter. They are both easier to upgrade because they have good forks (lefty) A 2012 Flash Carbon 3 in stock trim weights 23 lbs and with a wheel upgrade ($500) mine weights 21.5. Calculate the cost of getting a Stumpjumper comp to 21 lbs and I think you will agree its at least worth a test ride on a Cannondale.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,718
    Are younkidding man? 20% off is the regular pice with cash. Whatever msrp is on the website ismarmed up at least 10%. many dealers claim sale price 10% off msrp. If u offer cash they usually knock off another 10%

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Are younkidding man? 20% off is the regular pice with cash. Whatever msrp is on the website ismarmed up at least 10%. many dealers claim sale price 10% off msrp. If u offer cash they usually knock off another 10%
    What woud be the reason for a shop to knock off another 10% just because someone is paying cash? Are you talking cash vs financing or some installment plan or cash vs credit card. If the latter, I don't think not having to pay credit card swipe fees would make up that 10%.

    I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want to understand the logic of it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,314
    It may take a few more months of sitting on the floor before they will discount it any further. You can always tell them you are ready to buy it but will only pay $1700 or whatever you think is fair. Do they have 2013's sitting beside it?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatsbullshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    35
    I paid $1785 for my 2012 EVO HT back in Sept. I could have had a Comp for $1700. Both were considered "leftovers" since 2013 were starting to show up.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    My comp HT weighs in at 23.5. No saddle bag. No bottle cages. Tubeless. Since I paid $1100 new for the bike, I have a bunch of "savings" to throw at weight reduction. No plans to do so yet. I have a Cannnondale road and Tri bike, and love them both. The deal on the comp was too good to pass up.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post
    What woud be the reason for a shop to knock off another 10% just because someone is paying cash? Are you talking cash vs financing or some installment plan or cash vs credit card. If the latter, I don't think not having to pay credit card swipe fees would make up that 10%.

    I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want to understand the logic of it.
    Me thinking only...

    When you pay cash, nothing is on record. When they pay tax, they can claim a much lower price sold and therefore less tax. With that, they pocket a certain amount without letting uncle sam know. Add to that you can skip the 2-3% credit card fee.

    When talking about a 5k + sale where they might have purchased the actual product from specialized for may be 65% of msrp, there are some good easy money to be had.

    Again, just me thinking

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Me thinking only...

    When you pay cash, nothing is on record. When they pay tax, they can claim a much lower price sold and therefore less tax. With that, they pocket a certain amount without letting uncle sam know. Add to that you can skip the 2-3% credit card fee.

    When talking about a 5k + sale where they might have purchased the actual product from specialized for may be 65% of msrp, there are some good easy money to be had.

    Again, just me thinking
    That makes sense. I would be worried about my warranty in that scenario though.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Me thinking only...

    When you pay cash, nothing is on record. When they pay tax, they can claim a much lower price sold and therefore less tax. With that, they pocket a certain amount without letting uncle sam know. Add to that you can skip the 2-3% credit card fee.

    When talking about a 5k + sale where they might have purchased the actual product from specialized for may be 65% of msrp, there are some good easy money to be had.

    Again, just me thinking
    Wow...didn't think of that...and I doubt most shops pocket the money to avoid paying taxes on it. The reason places sometimes give you a discount for paying cash is they avoid the 1-3% surcharge on the credit card transaction.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    When you pay cash, nothing is on record
    so when it comes to a warranty your s**t out of luck? since theres no record of the sale

    it doesn't matter how you pay in the shop i work at, it's all the same
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper
    Roubaix Expert - Neon Pink

  16. #16
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMalibu View Post
    Talking to LBS today, looking for a deal on a 2012 Stumpjumper HT 29er Comp.

    They have one in my size, but the "closeout" price is only a couple hundred below retail (told the firm closeout price is $1900).

    I thought closeout prices would be more like 25-30% below retail. It that just not true with Stumpy Hardtail?

    Thanks
    I bought my 2013 Stumpy Comp for 2k flat with no tax (in CA that saved me another ~8%). Also got a decent discount on a Thule T2 at the same time. $1900 seems steep for a 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Got my 2012 SJ Elite for $3000 plus taxes...couldn't pass on this deal...and this was around the end of October.

  18. #18
    "Fear is victory's fuel!"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    I bought my 2013 Stumpy Comp for 2k flat with no tax (in CA that saved me another ~8%). Also got a decent discount on a Thule T2 at the same time. $1900 seems steep for a 2012.
    No tax? You didn't mail order the bike did you?
    I know Specialized has a "in-store only" sales policy.

    I have been unable to get any LBS to come off of SJ pricing. Full MSRP or no deal The last shop didn't even mention the option of ordering a 2012 model until I started walking out.

  19. #19
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamWahoo View Post
    No tax? You didn't mail order the bike did you?
    I know Specialized has a "in-store only" sales policy.

    I have been unable to get any LBS to come off of SJ pricing. Full MSRP or no deal The last shop didn't even mention the option of ordering a 2012 model until I started walking out.
    In store purchase.. I called (September) looking for a 2012 but they didn't have my size. So the guy said he would work on a deal on a 2013. I went that day and he said 2k flat so I went for it. He made the final price $1,999 AFTER tax meaning he actually charged less than $1,999 before tax. So I guess what the true price could be called is $1,999 after tax. Saw him do this on the computer, my receipt just says $1,999. He called it no tax but they did the math behind the scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    depends on the shop u go to i guess. if that's closeout pricing, then i got my 2012 elite at closeout pricing 7 months ago. LOL!

  21. #21
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    ^agree.. Depends in the shop. The LBS I went to claims to be one of the biggest Specialized dealers in the US and they have a few stores here in OC.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WVBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    3 yrs ago SJ comps were in the $1300 to $1500 range. I can't believe they are up that much.

  23. #23
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBikr View Post
    3 yrs ago SJ comps were in the $1300 to $1500 range. I can't believe they are up that much.
    Ummm, you sure about 3 years? A quick google search leads me to different numbers.. Like $1800+ in 2009 and $1700 in 2007.

    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...Comp&Type=bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Me thinking only...

    When you pay cash, nothing is on record. When they pay tax, they can claim a much lower price sold and therefore less tax. With that, they pocket a certain amount without letting uncle sam know. Add to that you can skip the 2-3% credit card fee.

    When talking about a 5k + sale where they might have purchased the actual product from specialized for may be 65% of msrp, there are some good easy money to be had.

    Again, just me thinking
    First sentence: Not true for my shop. That's also called tax evasion. My CC processing fee is 1.7%-2.5%.

    MSRP profit margin on that bike is about 37%. What it's more likely to sell for is about $1980 or a 30% profit margin. I don't know what your business credentials are but you start selling bikes below that you are either a hobby bike shop owner with tons of capital to back up a loss or heavily subsidize bike sales with other sales/service or very quickly going out of business.

    I don't care if you pay cash, check or credit card. The money goes on the books and the sales tax gets paid. And I'll give you the same deal either way.

    BTW sales tax revenue in NC is where public schools get their funding from.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WVBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    I know I priced a 2010 model I was going to get in the 1400 range now retail is 2200 which is absurd in my opinion.

    That 1700 msrp most bike shops sold a good bit under that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •