mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ... 2012 Stumpy 26er vs 2008 Stumpy 26er (Caution Long Read!)

Well I picked up my 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp this weekend and got to take it for a couple spins around my local trails. Most of our trails are hard pack and loose over hard pack in some areas, mixed with rocks, roots, and boulders. I started at my usual loop, first thing I noticed was the cock pit was way more comfortable than my 08 stumpy. Both stumpys are XL frames and the 2012 just felt more comfortable. Probably due to the stock 90mm stem and riser bars. When I got into the rough stuff I immediately noticed the difference in stiffness front and back. It just tracked way straighter than my 08 stumpy, and I didn't have to muscle the bike as much. The tapered head tube and 142x12 axle made a world of difference in rocks and rough stuff.

As for the 2x10 vs 3x9 it was different. It was a bit harder to climb steeps on the 2x10 in granny gear but it flew on the straights and downhill. It seems like I'm shifting more on the 2x10 than 3x9 but it will be a few rides before I get use to it. I do however admire the hanger near the front gears, it really is super quite and smooth compared to my 08 stumpy. Its as quite as a sewing machine while my 08 sounds like a clatter box in the rough stuff.

Climbing in the saddle I noticed very little bob in the rear on my 08 and 2012 so nothing is different in the climbing department for the two. The longer travel on the 2012 however didn't hamper me a bit on super climbs and soaked up rocks and roots better on climbs.

Cornering, was on par with my 08 however the front purgatory tire gripped way better in loose stuff than my captain on my 08. I had the dealer swap out the small 2.1 ground control in the back for a captain 2.2. The captain is an amazing tire for the back and purgatory in the front is way more planted in loose over hard pack corners. Purgatory 2.2 front and Captain 2.2 in the back are now my favorite combo. Running 32 psi front and back.

Both bikes are equal for switchbacks maneuvering however 2012 front feels stiffer and tracks straighter in rocky switchbacks with less effort. When hitting berms the 2012 I can lean it over easier than the 08, but the 08 seems to fly out of corners a bit faster with the 3x9. Im sure once I get used to the 2x10 i will be faster on exiting corners.

Braking, the avids feel great and stop on a dime however when the rear brake gets hot it squeals a bit. My Hopes X2 are way better on my 08 stumpy, after my avids are trashed in a year or so I will probably get the Hope X2 evos or M4s.

Suspension, auto sag is a great feature however it only sets the rear at 20% sag. Its a great starting point but I like to run 25% front and back. The longer travel on the 2012 feels super plush and I was able go through rocky descents with ease. The redesigned rear end on the 2012 is way more plush and forgiving than the 08. It just seems better on everything. My 08 is still a great bike in the suspension department but the 2012 kills it on the descents.

As for future upgrades to my 2012, I don't feel like I need to upgrade anything. Its a great package. Once my wheels and brakes are trashed I will probably go with Hopes, and I9 wheels, but that's it.

Well that concludes part 1 review. Hopefully I get a few more rides in before the snow hits!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Update: Stumpy 2012 FSR Comp.

What is the total travel of the front fork for 2012?

I measured my stock Fox RL fork the other day and they come out to be 150mm total travel. Specialized says its has 140mm on their website. I was able to use all the travel up on my last ride so it is 150mm. Maybe specialized slipped me the wrong fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for posting. I have a '07 which i am consider to replace with either a '11 or a '12 that are being sold at a clearance at my lbs.
    I was mainly concerned that moving from 120 to 140 suspension would harm climbing performance, but your good experience may have calmed me down a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Go with the 2012 if you can. I had to order one and there was only 18 or so left in the nation in my size (XL) in the past 2 weeks. I got the yellow and black one for $2300 out the door. The 2011 doesn't have the tapered head tube and thicker 142x12 axle. I was going to get a 2013 but they no longer make the XL frame in the 26er, plus there wasn't any major changes from the 2012 model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    And what about the difference in forks? The '11 comes with a rockshox and the '12 with a fox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The 2012 has a Fox 140mm RL which is sweet. I have never run the rockshox. The 2012 also has autosag for the rear shock, and has a greater range of rebound adjustment than the 2011 Triad II.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I also came from an '08 stumpy (to a '13 evo) Absolutely NO loss in climbing ability and I truly gained a more comfortable bike, and more confidence inspiring geometry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ok, so I just got my '12 comp 26" and with it i climbed just as well as with my old '07 on non-technical climbs. I climbed much better on rocks and technical climbs. And going downhill is another world...
    That was the impression from my first ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyBuzz View Post
    Ok, so I just got my '12 comp 26" and with it i climbed just as well as with my old '07 on non-technical climbs. I climbed much better on rocks and technical climbs. And going downhill is another world...
    That was the impression from my first ride.
    Cool, glad to hear. Did you notice a difference in stiffness when going through technical stuff compared to your 07? That is what I noticed immediately when I got my 2012 fsr comp compared to my 08 fsr comp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The overall handling of the bike drastically improved.It's hard for me to say what is the reason, and it might well be the added stiffness, I can only say the end result is being able to control the bike at higher speeds over tougher terrain. Some examples:
    - Taking sharper turns at higher speeds with only little breaking. Finally i was able to follow all the pro tips for taking fast turns and actually see that it works.
    - Riding my favorite trails, I can go much faster, and waste much less energy on keeping the front wheel pointing to where i want to go when crossing rocky sections. So i can look farther down the trail and pick a better line than before.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyBuzz View Post
    The overall handling of the bike drastically improved.It's hard for me to say what is the reason, and it might well be the added stiffness, I can only say the end result is being able to control the bike at higher speeds over tougher terrain. Some examples:
    - Taking sharper turns at higher speeds with only little breaking. Finally i was able to follow all the pro tips for taking fast turns and actually see that it works.
    - Riding my favorite trails, I can go much faster, and waste much less energy on keeping the front wheel pointing to where i want to go when crossing rocky sections. So i can look farther down the trail and pick a better line than before.
    I completely agree with you on everything. I have a '12 stumpy elite. And it does the exact same thing for me.