mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2012 stumpjumper fsr EVO 29er or 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp Carbon 29er

hi guys, i am choosing between these two bikes.. the price difference is not that much...which one do you prefer and why? hope you can help me... thanks a lot..

mtbr member
    SJ EVO FSR 29er is my choice and that is what I am riding for a few weeks now.

The Comp carbon 's only advantage is the front carbon frame. It is about 1 lb lighter than aluminum based on what I have read. The stiffness would be most apparent in the rear stays and since both are the same in aluminum, that's equal.

Build kit on the Comp is not as good as the EVO.

EVO has the dropper Command post, the very powerful Formula The One brakes, better rim set with better hubs, S-2200 Sram carbon cranks and the icing is the RP23 with Kashima coating.

The EVO is oriented for steeper more aggressive Trail terrain with a 68 vs 69 degree head tube, 140 vs 130 front travel and an added 5mm of rear travel. The Comp and the rest of the SJ line-up is more Trail oriented. The EVO can best be described as Trail/All Mountain.

I compared both of these for my purposes and since I changed out the fork for the buttery smooth FOX 34 TALAS with Kashima, the Comp fork didn't matter to me. As far as the Comp's Fox F130 RL, it is similar in performance to the EVO build kit with Revelation 140 RL.

I was disappointed that Specialized didn't make a carbon EVO 29 as they did in the EVO 26. They'll do it next year, I just know it!

You need to figure out what type of Trail riding you like to do most.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask again.

I have attached my EVO with mods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 stumpjumper fsr EVO 29er or 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp Carbon 29er-sj-evo-29er.jpg  

14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks for your reply... your bike is awesome...actually i want to buy a bike that i can use immediately and no need for upgrade...i find it more costly if i buy a not too xpensive bike but need to changed some parts immediately for upgrade...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bits0723 View Post
    ...i find it more costly if i buy a not too xpensive bike but need to changed some parts immediately for upgrade...
    I'd say go for the EVO 29er with a much better parts spec.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    I also was in the same position as you and choose the EVO. Unfortunately Specialized isn't going to have any of my size for the rest of this year so I HAD to get the Carbon Comp. While a lot of the parts aren't as nice, it has been a great bike. I am looking at getting a new wheel set and at least going w/ XO shifters, RD, and Crankset. Nothing wrong w/ everything on the bike but I at least want to hang on to it for at least a year before I start looking at something new.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should go for the Canadian version of the SJ Comp Carbon 29. Has a bit of "EVO" in the colours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 stumpjumper fsr EVO 29er or 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp Carbon 29er-sj-comp-carbon-29-canada.jpg  

14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Weight is everything. My SJ Carbon Comp is 27.0 pounds with XTR pedals. ZTR crest rims running tubless and carbon bar bolt on seat clamp were my upgrades. I don't know for sure but I don't think you can come close to this with the EVO. The command post alone weighs 2 lbs. If your riding includes very steep technical decent's then go with EVO but most cases the lighter bike is better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Weight is everything. My SJ Carbon Comp is 27.0 pounds with XTR pedals. ZTR crest rims running tubless and carbon bar bolt on seat clamp were my upgrades. I don't know for sure but I don't think you can come close to this with the EVO. The command post alone weighs 2 lbs. If your riding includes very steep technical decent's then go with EVO but most cases the lighter bike is better
    Hmm I'm sure it's not to hard to get an evo lighter than 27lbs. Command post weighs 2 lbs? I think not, check your "facts".

mtbr member
    My EVO as shown above weighs 27.0 without pedals. I was planning on about 26.5 lbs

I miscalculated how light the Revelation is as compared to the extra weight of the FOX 34 Talas by over 225 grams based on published info. Fox 34 is 2110 grams compared to the Revelation 140 RL at 1782. 328 gram difference.

Roval Control Trail SL wheels and Sram 1099 cassette saved 492 grams. Total 1742 vs Traverse with cassette at 2234.

Could save 125 grams on a lighter seat. Another 370 by switching posts to a Easton Carbon.
    So another 1.1 lbs could be shaved.

So if I left the Revelation on and changed the seat and post, the EVO 29er medium would be 25.4 lbs! If someone traded me their Comp Carbon 29 frame for the EVO frame, I'd be down to 24.5 lbs!

But then it wouldn't be an EVO anymore . . .

Just depends what you want.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Hey CarMan, I have the same 2012 SJ Expert Evo 29er, curious why you changed the Traverse wheels for the Control Trails? Or do you just swap between them? I love the Red/White on those wheels. I have the Carbon Rovals on my Epic but of course, they are not for the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Weight is everything.
    lol wut

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox View Post
    Hey CarMan, I have the same 2012 SJ Expert Evo 29er, curious why you changed the Traverse wheels for the Control Trails? Or do you just swap between them? I love the Red/White on those wheels. I have the Carbon Rovals on my Epic but of course, they are not for the Stumpy.
    It has been a buttery smooth/lively ride so far with Fox's top offerings at both ends.

I am using the Roval Control Trail SL 29ers on the EVO to save all that weight. I would not have done that if not for having them as my spare set for the 2011 SW Epic. I like to have different tires ready tubeless for the conditions at hand. Haven't used the Roval Traverse at all but will set-up the rear with a slick for bike trainer once I get the 142+ trainer axle to fit my trainer.

I didn't think the red and highlighter yellow would go together, but they look OK.

The only difference between the Roval Control SL 29er and Trail version are the spokes and front hub. Same rim for both. (This is not the case for the 26" versions) You could just put on beefier spokes and get a "Trail" set-up.

What mods did you do for your EVO?
    Final weight?
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My large Stumpy EVO 29er weighs 26lbs 3oz with pedals and water bottle cage (ready to ride). With carbon rims this bike is perfectly suited for XC to AM type riding. The RP23 with Kashima is amazing too! Wouldn't trade this bike for anything right now!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

Compelling, and rich.
    I went with the Comp Carbon 29er... if only for the better resale value (I'm poor so I rotate out my main bike every 2 years while it's still worth something ) and the fact that I would have had to wait until the end of May for the EVO 29 (vs the first week of March for the Comp Carbon).

If it weren't for those two factors, I would have definitely gone with the EVO 29er. The better parts group (Particularly the much better rear shock, dropper post, and lighter wheels) is more important than the carbon front triangle, in my opinion.

Edit: Holy crap. I wish I lived in Canada. The scheme on their Comp Carbon 29er is sick. Much better than the boring gray we got here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    My large Stumpy EVO 29er weighs 26lbs 3oz with pedals and water bottle cage (ready to ride). With carbon rims this bike is perfectly suited for XC to AM type riding. The RP23 with Kashima is amazing too! Wouldn't trade this bike for anything right now!
    Picture, bquinn, I need a picture!

Edit: Got it

You saved around 353gr on the dropper post, but probably added 100 on the seat. = less 253
    Racing Ralphs over Purgatory = less 310
    Marzoochi over FOX 34 = less 260
    Large frame vs medium = add 225

Oh yah, no labels on the rims = less 5

That works!
    Last edited by CarManDSL; 04-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37