Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er actual weight?

16K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Mypaldal 
#1 ·
Can someone please tell me. I've searched the web and I can't find an answer.My LBS says 28 pounds 4 ounces, but they can't find their scale. I'm thinking 30 pounds spot on without pedals?

Thanks

#10 ·
29 Comp XL (aluminum), no pedals, tubeless weighs just over 29 lbs.
The carbon does weigh less, but it depends on which of the three carbon versions you are talking about. It can be as little as 1/2 lb less. Also carbon is just as much about stiffness as weight reduction (so sometimes the weight reduction is not as great as you might think it should be).

#12 ·
Just got my 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er. With Kronolog post and resin platforms it comes in around 30.5 lbs. Ordered some ZTR Arch EX's and will convert to tubeless. Gonna swap out my boat anchor rear cassette for a new one. Would eventually like to get down to 26 or 27 eventually. Any other upgrade recommendations from all of you?

Attachments

#16 ·
That's going to depend on how you plan to ride the bike. I would say you could likely achieve 28lbs, but at what cost? I am very aggressive with my bike and my ideal final outcome for the bike won't come under 29lbs. I am sitting just over 30 right now with a dropper post and tubeless. I am planning on going for a new wheelset in the coming months like you, but also want to upgrade to a Fox Float34 which will add some weight. Haven't decided which I want to do first.

#17 ·
I think 28lb would be obtainable, and certainly a respectable weight for any trail bike. Like I said I ordered some ZTR Arch Ex's, plan to go tubeless. I plan on upgrading the rear cassette (the one on it now is pretty dang heavy at 395 grams), go with carbon bars maybe eventually get some lighter rubber on both wheels.
My dropper post adds about 9 oz when you take into account the weight difference of the stock post. I would rather keep that weight since I like my dropper post so much. I get my wheels and new cassette in next week, I will post weight changes here when I get it all set up!

#18 ·
Let me know the weight differential and how it performs. Do you know how well those wheels hold up to abuse? I ride pretty hard and dabble on the occasional drop/jump(nothing over 4ft). I really like the Purgatory 2.3's a lot so I don't see myself changing those out anytime soon unless it's for a larger front. What are you going with for a bar? I like the stock bar with a shorter stem, but the carbon S-Works enduro low rise bar is mighty tempting.

#20 ·
Getting my Easton Haven in this week and gonna get a stem that weighs in around 125 grams. Also going from lock on Oury grips to slide-ons which are 50 grams lighter. All in all I should be saving 200-220 grams on the front of my bike. My ZTR Arches and new cassette have made my bike a tad lighter than my stock Camber Comp Carbon I had. I really feel the difference when I ride and even when I pick up the bike. Those heavy stock wheels really weighed it down. They will serve me well as a back-up wheelset now, however.
Here is a YouTube vid of the bike so far.

#19 ·
The ZTR Arch Ex 29er are rated for agressive XC to AM, which is about what I ride. All the testimonials I have read is that they are super durable and cannot be beat considering weight and price (~$500). I should lose 300-400 grams off my wheelset and that is not counting tubeless.
I like the knob pattern of the Purgs so I will probably run them until I wear them out and then see what other options I have.
Not sure about the bars yet. Haven't done a lot of research. I like width and rise of the stock bars, just like the feel of carbon better so might try to find something that is close to the same dimensions I have. I will check out that enduro low-rise bar for sure. Now I am just tring to decide what rear cassette to get.

#25 ·
Will do. After changing the cassette and wheels the wheel was instantly noticeable while riding, but while just picking the bike up. My dropper post shat the bed so I had to take it off. I am about 28 lbs 3 oz.
My new bar/stem/grips and pedals should take about a half pound off.
After that I might swap to a new bottom bracket and carbon cranks which could lose about 7 oz. That part is kinda spendy so will have to wait a bit on that. The good part is my alloy stumpy is lighter than a lot of carbon models offered.
In case you didnt see my bike above on YouTube, here is the vid.

#26 ·
Not to sound like a jerk, but it seems with all the money you're throwing at this thing you could have had the Expert carbon (27lbs out of the box). You'll be hard pressed to get this to low 27's without spending a mint, which will entail running thin tires and less burly components. 28lbs is prefect weight for alloy trail bike. You need to think about the cost to reward ratio of buying this components. The Stumpy is not a weight weenie bike.

My Stumpy is 25lbs and I have about 7k invested. I love the bike but would hesitate to do it again.

#27 ·
Not to sound like a jerk, but it seems with all the money you're throwing at this thing you could have had the Expert carbon (27lbs out of the box). You'll be hard pressed to get this to low 27's without spending a mint, which will entail running thin tires and less burly components. 28lbs is prefect weight for alloy trail bike. You need to think about the cost to reward ratio of buying this components. The Stumpy is not a weight weenie bike.

My Stumpy is 25lbs and I have about 7k invested. I love the bike but would hesitate to do it again.
Thanks for the opinion, I don't plan to get it below the low 27's. I couldn't afford the expert model at the time of purchase so I got the alloy. I am aware of how much coin I am spending. To me it's worth it since I like to mountain bike (hence why I am on this forum). If I were a big weight weenie I would have gotten a carbon hardtail, but that doesn't mean I won't improve my SJ when I can.

#29 ·
I have got my 2012 Stumpy FSR COMP 29 Large down to 26lb, 0oz. About the only thing stock is the frame/fork, stem, brakes, and rear derailleur.
Replaced (off the top of my head):
Wheelset - ZTR ArchEX on ZTR 3.30 hubs. Awesome wheels.
Tyres - Ground Control S-works 2.1 front and Fast Track S-works 2.0 in the back. (tubeless)
Cassette - Sram X0
Cranks - Sram X0
Converted to 10x1 with a HomeBrewedComponents.com 36t front chainring.
Easton Monkeylite XC CF Handlebar
WTB Pure-V Team edition saddle (Ti rails)
Thompson Masterpiece seat-post
XT SPD pedals.

I took my time and found each part used or on super discount. Wheelset, tyres, and cassette each made big differences. Going 10x1 dropped another 10oz and I can't really say I've missed granny gear for what I ride.
Next step? Looking for a Medium size CF frame, as the Large is a little on the big side for me. Then converting to Lefty fork. ;) Should get into the 24.x lb range which aint bad for a decent FSR 29er trail bike!

#31 ·
That's an awfully low eight for a large. My FSR Comp is in the high 27's with

Stans ZTR Arch Ex 29er
Easton Haven Carbon Bar
Sytace F109 Stem
SRAM SG 1080 rear cassette
Oury slide on grips

I ride a mediu m too. How much weight did your new crankset save? I got some s-works carbon cranks coming now. People on this forum say 7 oz were loss. I need a granny gear, lots of topography in these parts.

#32 ·
Found the perfect frame. Medium 2012 FSR SJ Expert Carbon w/Brain. Used on Ebay for about 1/3 cost of new. :) Also went full X0 on brakes. Grabbed a used X0 short cage derailleur and am trying out the X0 twist grip shift as well.
Trying out a set of Exustar E-PM215 pedals. I feel like I'm the never ending search for a perfect SPD pedal. Could have gone Ti spindles but almost triple the cost, and I'm borderline their weight limit when geared up. :rolleyes:
New weight as pictured: 24lb, 15oz. Only 20 miles in and so far it rides like a dream. On the way- new brake rotors. Should be another 4 oz lighter. One guess which ones. :D

B-RAY: The Lefty I have is a converted 140mm Max (110mm for 29) from 2010. Already have the P321 conversion, just waiting on a new tire for it. The new 36 Max 130mm/29 is promising, but going to be $$$$!

GnarBrahWyo: I will have to look up the weight of the X0 cranks. I know I have it documented somewhere, now to find it! I've heard the Sworks cranks are near the best for weight and strength. If you were to go with Sworks narrower tires as opposed to stock rubber, and drop your front rings/derailleur for 1x10 gearing, you would be in the very low 26lb range I'm sure.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

#33 ·
Got the Lefty on there now and got another ZTR Arch EX wheel, because I really like them. Also Kettle Cycles SICCC rotors. ;)
Weight as shown, 24lb, 2oz. SICCC rotors dropped 7 oz alone! I did down-size the back from 180 to 160mm tho. With Avid HS1 200/180 rotors, it weighed 24lb, 9oz with the Lefty.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

However, I am not impressed with the Lefty on this setup. 110mm travel is not quite enough, and seems to have flex in turns. Not torsional, but camber, unpon compression. A new Reba Revelation 140 is on the way. :)
I'm not made of moneys, I just enjoy bikes. A lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.