Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er actual weight?

Can someone please tell me. I've searched the web and I can't find an answer.My LBS says 28 pounds 4 ounces, but they can't find their scale. I'm thinking 30 pounds spot on without pedals?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    27.6 according to bicycling magazine about half yr ago

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Now I'm really confused . My LBS said that the carbon Stumpy FSR Comp 29er weighed 28lbs. 8oz. size large.I imagine the aluminum has to be at least 1 pound more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Frame size makes a difference.

My large 2012 comp 26er weighed 28.3 at the bike shop. I would have to think the 29er is at least 1lb more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I demo'ed a medium 29r and it was 28.5 on my hanging scale.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the replays. I guess a large should be right about 29 pounds then.

mtbr member
    my XL SJ 29er is about 14 kg with pedals. it about 30,8 lbs. i've got heavy DH clipless pedals on it.
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just had my build finished a week ago. Exact weight, size Small with Crankbros Candy 3 pedals and Command post: 29.7lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    29 Comp XL (aluminum), no pedals, tubeless weighs just over 29 lbs.
    The carbon does weigh less, but it depends on which of the three carbon versions you are talking about. It can be as little as 1/2 lb less. Also carbon is just as much about stiffness as weight reduction (so sometimes the weight reduction is not as great as you might think it should be).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My XL Expert weighed 28lbs 4 ozs out of the box at the shop.

mtbr member
    Just got my 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er. With Kronolog post and resin platforms it comes in around 30.5 lbs. Ordered some ZTR Arch EX's and will convert to tubeless. Gonna swap out my boat anchor rear cassette for a new one. Would eventually like to get down to 26 or 27 eventually. Any other upgrade recommendations from all of you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er actual weight?-newrig.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Just got my 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er. With Kronolog post and resin platforms it comes in around 30.5 lbs. Ordered some ZTR Arch EX's and will convert to tubeless. Gonna swap out my boat anchor rear cassette for a new one. Would eventually like to get down to 26 or 27 eventually. Any other upgrade recommendations from all of you?
    You will never get that bike to 26 lbs with a dropper post. Post back with the thousands of dollars you spend trying

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    You will never get that bike to 26 lbs with a dropper post. Post back with the thousands of dollars you spend trying
    Ok, what do you think is an "impressive" weight for an alloy Stump 29er?

mtbr member
    I should say "Obtainable",rather.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's going to depend on how you plan to ride the bike. I would say you could likely achieve 28lbs, but at what cost? I am very aggressive with my bike and my ideal final outcome for the bike won't come under 29lbs. I am sitting just over 30 right now with a dropper post and tubeless. I am planning on going for a new wheelset in the coming months like you, but also want to upgrade to a Fox Float34 which will add some weight. Haven't decided which I want to do first.

mtbr member
    I think 28lb would be obtainable, and certainly a respectable weight for any trail bike. Like I said I ordered some ZTR Arch Ex's, plan to go tubeless. I plan on upgrading the rear cassette (the one on it now is pretty dang heavy at 395 grams), go with carbon bars maybe eventually get some lighter rubber on both wheels.
    My dropper post adds about 9 oz when you take into account the weight difference of the stock post. I would rather keep that weight since I like my dropper post so much. I get my wheels and new cassette in next week, I will post weight changes here when I get it all set up!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Let me know the weight differential and how it performs. Do you know how well those wheels hold up to abuse? I ride pretty hard and dabble on the occasional drop/jump(nothing over 4ft). I really like the Purgatory 2.3's a lot so I don't see myself changing those out anytime soon unless it's for a larger front. What are you going with for a bar? I like the stock bar with a shorter stem, but the carbon S-Works enduro low rise bar is mighty tempting.

mtbr member
    The ZTR Arch Ex 29er are rated for agressive XC to AM, which is about what I ride. All the testimonials I have read is that they are super durable and cannot be beat considering weight and price (~$500). I should lose 300-400 grams off my wheelset and that is not counting tubeless.
    I like the knob pattern of the Purgs so I will probably run them until I wear them out and then see what other options I have.
    Not sure about the bars yet. Haven't done a lot of research. I like width and rise of the stock bars, just like the feel of carbon better so might try to find something that is close to the same dimensions I have. I will check out that enduro low-rise bar for sure. Now I am just tring to decide what rear cassette to get.

mtbr member
    Let me know the weight differential and how it performs. Do you know how well those wheels hold up to abuse? I ride pretty hard and dabble on the occasional drop/jump(nothing over 4ft). I really like the Purgatory 2.3's a lot so I don't see myself changing those out anytime soon unless it's for a larger front. What are you going with for a bar? I like the stock bar with a shorter stem, but the carbon S-Works enduro low rise bar is mighty tempting.
    Getting my Easton Haven in this week and gonna get a stem that weighs in around 125 grams. Also going from lock on Oury grips to slide-ons which are 50 grams lighter. All in all I should be saving 200-220 grams on the front of my bike. My ZTR Arches and new cassette have made my bike a tad lighter than my stock Camber Comp Carbon I had. I really feel the difference when I ride and even when I pick up the bike. Those heavy stock wheels really weighed it down. They will serve me well as a back-up wheelset now, however.
    Here is a YouTube vid of the bike so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQDkkiUUTI

mtbr member
    but my bike is roughly 2 lbs lighter now with those upgrades.I think I should be able to dip it into the 27's with new pedals eventually.

mtbr member
    Its not what you ride its how you ride it...

mtbr member
    Got more upgrades coming in the mail. So stoked to go ride my bike around my...basement...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    post back the new weight once ya get those upgrades!! i have the same bike coming in and i am constantly thinking in my head what i can do to shave weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    post back the new weight once ya get those upgrades!! i have the same bike coming in and i am constantly thinking in my head what i can do to shave weight
    Will do. After changing the cassette and wheels the wheel was instantly noticeable while riding, but while just picking the bike up. My dropper post shat the bed so I had to take it off. I am about 28 lbs 3 oz.
    My new bar/stem/grips and pedals should take about a half pound off.
    After that I might swap to a new bottom bracket and carbon cranks which could lose about 7 oz. That part is kinda spendy so will have to wait a bit on that. The good part is my alloy stumpy is lighter than a lot of carbon models offered.
    In case you didnt see my bike above on YouTube, here is the vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQDkkiUUTI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast