Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not to sound like a jerk, but it seems with all the money you're throwing at this thing you could have had the Expert carbon (27lbs out of the box). You'll be hard pressed to get this to low 27's without spending a mint, which will entail running thin tires and less burly components. 28lbs is prefect weight for alloy trail bike. You need to think about the cost to reward ratio of buying this components. The Stumpy is not a weight weenie bike.

My Stumpy is 25lbs and I have about 7k invested. I love the bike but would hesitate to do it again.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk, but it seems with all the money you're throwing at this thing you could have had the Expert carbon (27lbs out of the box). You'll be hard pressed to get this to low 27's without spending a mint, which will entail running thin tires and less burly components. 28lbs is prefect weight for alloy trail bike. You need to think about the cost to reward ratio of buying this components. The Stumpy is not a weight weenie bike.

My Stumpy is 25lbs and I have about 7k invested. I love the bike but would hesitate to do it again.
    Thanks for the opinion, I don't plan to get it below the low 27's. I couldn't afford the expert model at the time of purchase so I got the alloy. I am aware of how much coin I am spending. To me it's worth it since I like to mountain bike (hence why I am on this forum). If I were a big weight weenie I would have gotten a carbon hardtail, but that doesn't mean I won't improve my SJ when I can.

mtbr member
    but I also should note that with all my upgrades (new wheels,cassette, carbon bar,new stem,and pedals, I am still sitting below the cost of the base carbon model (msrp $4100) and below the weight of it too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have got my 2012 Stumpy FSR COMP 29 Large down to 26lb, 0oz. About the only thing stock is the frame/fork, stem, brakes, and rear derailleur.
    Replaced (off the top of my head):
    Wheelset - ZTR ArchEX on ZTR 3.30 hubs. Awesome wheels.
    Tyres - Ground Control S-works 2.1 front and Fast Track S-works 2.0 in the back. (tubeless)
    Cassette - Sram X0
    Cranks - Sram X0
    Converted to 10x1 with a HomeBrewedComponents.com 36t front chainring.
    Easton Monkeylite XC CF Handlebar
    WTB Pure-V Team edition saddle (Ti rails)
    Thompson Masterpiece seat-post
    XT SPD pedals.

I took my time and found each part used or on super discount. Wheelset, tyres, and cassette each made big differences. Going 10x1 dropped another 10oz and I can't really say I've missed granny gear for what I ride.
    Next step? Looking for a Medium size CF frame, as the Large is a little on the big side for me. Then converting to Lefty fork. Should get into the 24.x lb range which aint bad for a decent FSR 29er trail bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Are u getting the new lefty 36max or one of the older ones.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colmor View Post
    I have got my 2012 Stumpy FSR COMP 29 Large down to 26lb, 0oz. About the only thing stock is the frame/fork, stem, brakes, and rear derailleur.
    Replaced (off the top of my head):
    Wheelset - ZTR ArchEX on ZTR 3.30 hubs. Awesome wheels.
    Tyres - Ground Control S-works 2.1 front and Fast Track S-works 2.0 in the back. (tubeless)
    Cassette - Sram X0
    Cranks - Sram X0
    Converted to 10x1 with a HomeBrewedComponents.com 36t front chainring.
    Easton Monkeylite XC CF Handlebar
    WTB Pure-V Team edition saddle (Ti rails)
    Thompson Masterpiece seat-post
    XT SPD pedals.

I took my time and found each part used or on super discount. Wheelset, tyres, and cassette each made big differences. Going 10x1 dropped another 10oz and I can't really say I've missed granny gear for what I ride.
    Next step? Looking for a Medium size CF frame, as the Large is a little on the big side for me. Then converting to Lefty fork. Should get into the 24.x lb range which aint bad for a decent FSR 29er trail bike!
    That's an awfully low eight for a large. My FSR Comp is in the high 27's with

Stans ZTR Arch Ex 29er
    Easton Haven Carbon Bar
    Sytace F109 Stem
    SRAM SG 1080 rear cassette
    Oury slide on grips

I ride a mediu m too. How much weight did your new crankset save? I got some s-works carbon cranks coming now. People on this forum say 7 oz were loss. I need a granny gear, lots of topography in these parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Found the perfect frame. Medium 2012 FSR SJ Expert Carbon w/Brain. Used on Ebay for about 1/3 cost of new. :-) Also went full X0 on brakes. Grabbed a used X0 short cage derailleur and am trying out the X0 twist grip shift as well.
    Trying out a set of Exustar E-PM215 pedals. I feel like I'm the never ending search for a perfect SPD pedal. Could have gone Ti spindles but almost triple the cost, and I'm borderline their weight limit when geared up.
    New weight as pictured: 24lb, 15oz. Only 20 miles in and so far it rides like a dream. On the way- new brake rotors. Should be another 4 oz lighter. One guess which ones.

B-RAY: The Lefty I have is a converted 140mm Max (110mm for 29) from 2010. Already have the P321 conversion, just waiting on a new tire for it. The new 36 Max 130mm/29 is promising, but going to be $$$$!

GnarBrahWyo: I will have to look up the weight of the X0 cranks. I know I have it documented somewhere, now to find it! I've heard the Sworks cranks are near the best for weight and strength. If you were to go with Sworks narrower tires as opposed to stock rubber, and drop your front rings/derailleur for 1x10 gearing, you would be in the very low 26lb range I'm sure.

2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er actual weight?-img_20130303_150402.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Got the Lefty on there now and got another ZTR Arch EX wheel, because I really like them. Also Kettle Cycles SICCC rotors.
    Weight as shown, 24lb, 2oz. SICCC rotors dropped 7 oz alone! I did down-size the back from 180 to 160mm tho. With Avid HS1 200/180 rotors, it weighed 24lb, 9oz with the Lefty.
    2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er actual weight?-img_20130327_185216.jpg

However, I am not impressed with the Lefty on this setup. 110mm travel is not quite enough, and seems to have flex in turns. Not torsional, but camber, unpon compression. A new Reba Revelation 140 is on the way.
    I'm not made of moneys, I just enjoy bikes. A lot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Leftys have always wierded me out. Never ridden one however. The new leftys sport 130mm of travel for their trigger model but I bet its super expensive.

mtbr member
    Yeah Lefty's also weird me out. Not bashing them. For all I know they could be great. Are they more prone to catastrophic failure than a normal fork? What about jumping with one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Old Thread but I'll add to it.
    My Medium is 28# 13oz. I have an older, light Bontrager seat, Easton EC70xc bars (carbon) and the stock Purgatories (750 grams 29/2.2) are Tubeless. The stock tubes were 175 grams each. Running 50 grams of Stan's saves 250 grams (9 1/2 ozs) at the wheels. I plan to run Stan's Crest with lighter 400-450 gram tires tubeless. This will take off over 500 grams each wheel. This will be for racing, I will still run the Roval/Purgatories for most trails.
    The lighter wheel/tire combo should bring me into the 26# realm with all the weight savings at the all important wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2