Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I ride a Swarf
    Well they turned up today

Glad I ordered a size bigger, really comfy with room for thicker socks. Hopefully toasty feet for me with fewer foot cramps due to the damp

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Like my defrosters

Have them, use them, like them all winter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Very much agree with the individual fit tone of this discussion. I have just ordered some 42 Defrosters, tried MW81's which were good, but my heel wasn't tight and slipped when I moved about. Then looked at the Sidi Diablo GTX which on the face of it seemed perfect, ordered them from Germany to the UK, came today and they were quite narrow and I had the same problem someone else had that there was a gap down the back of my heel when I leaned forward, perfect for water to get in. They are going back.
    Defrosters are the best fit for me, comfy, the ankle strap close around my ankle well to keep water out, the closure flap and boa system are slick and water will flow off well, no Velcro straps to catch dirt and water.
    Well done Specialized
    Last edited by rage-day; 01-30-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typos

mtbr member
    I'm interested in these shoes, as my toe covers are getting torn up and don't do anything for moisture coming up from under the cleat. I'm a little concerned that these might be TOO warm. What's the highest temp you think these shoes would be comfortable in?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Not to worry. I did a 26 mile trail ride a couple weeks ago. It got up to about 55 degrees, no problem.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm expecting to go to 50F, if MObiker says 55, I am happy, I am more interested in keeping my feet dry in the wet UK,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Picked my Defrosters up today, very happy. Put the cleats on in the shop and tried them with M985 and M520 pedals and they worked fine, clipping in and out neatly and with good fit with the lugs around the clip.

I ride a Swarf

2012 Specialized Defroster Winter Shoes

Had mine nearly a month now. Love em! Ridden then in the wet, dry, snow, between -5c and 10c. Really like them. Probably wont change back to summer shoes till spring.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    First ride out, very comfy, no pain anywhere, clipped in and out with ease and were stiff enough. I have some S works shoes for dryer conditions and these were not as stiff, but still stiff enough to have a good drive into the pedals. Temp was about 4c and I had a pair of Castelli Nanoflex Leg warmers on and Castelli Quindici merino wool socks. Feet were, and stayed, nice and warm and dry. Went through a lot of puddles on purpose, with leg warmers over the top of the shoes, there was nowhere for the water to get in. A nice combination for the wet and muddy UK conditions, I reckon this lot will cover -2c to 10c. Name:  Specialized Defrosters-sml.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  58.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Picked up a pair of Defrosters a few weeks ago and have since put a few rides in with them. Very pleased. For sizing - my normal Sidi XC shoes are a tight 44. In the Defrosters I got a 43.5, which allows a medium weight wool sock to be worn as well. For fit - I was a bit concerned they would be a bit loose as they felt this way in the store and at home, but once on the bike they feel fine. No noticeable play. I've worn them on rides from 22 degrees to low 50s. In the 22 degree ride my feet started getting cold about an hour in. On the warmer ride my feet were hot, but my whole body was warm from temps rising from the start of the ride.

It's nice to be able to bomb through puddles and water crossings without much concern over keeping my feet wet. Looking forward to many more rides in them.

mtbr member

2012 Specialized Defroster Winter Shoes

Specialized have changed the design slightly for the 2014 Defroster Trail shoe. It has a different sole and a higher ankle fastening compared to the previous version.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr...efroster-trail

I've got Northwave Extreme Winter GTX shoes for this year. They have a stiff sole and multiple boa fastenings which I find good for pedalling in without comfort issues. They're quite warm too. I've been happy with them so far.

http://www.northwave.com/en/product/_extreme_winter_gtx

The fit in the toebox of the Northwave shoe is narrower and shallower than the equivalent Specialized shoe.

The joke with "waterproof" winter shoes of any make is that if water does get inside through the ankle hole (it rains a lot in the UK) they take forever to dry out again as the material doesn't breathe. I've got a set of Sidas drywarmer electric shoe heaters for pre-heating the winter shoes before rides and drying them out afterwards also. The shoe heaters are awesome for winter use. One of my best buys in a long time.

http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-pro...amer-89-2.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For fit I needed to go to size 50 in the Defrosters even though I wear size 48 in their Mtb Experts. The right Defroster is hard to loosen up and unless I wear a think sock I get pain from the tongue area.

mtbr member
    When it gets down in the 20's spray your feet with some antiperspirant spray. I found some at Wal-mart. Wait a few minutes and put your socks on. If your feet stay dry they will stay warm. I heard the NFL players do this in cold weather.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MObiker View Post
    When it gets down in the 20's spray your feet with some antiperspirant spray. I found some at Wal-mart. Wait a few minutes and put your socks on. If your feet stay dry they will stay warm. I heard the NFL players do this in cold weather.
    Interesting tip - I'll try it.

BTW it hit -23C before wind is factored in yesterday, so I won't test it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2