mtbr member
    May 2012

2012 Rockhopper 29er stem help

I have a 2012 Rockhopper 29er and after riding some decent technical trails with it , I love how it climbs and rolls over everything, but i noticed its not as nimble as a 26, which I underdstand that, but what I am looking to do is make it a little more nimble and i was told a stem would help that but not sure what length and degree to get any help would be awesome,..........

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow no help on this... noone has done this???

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    There's no "one-size-fits-all" solution. It depends on how the bike fits you. A shorter stem will make the bike steer more quickly, but will also change your cockpit. I had a 2012 Rockhopper and went from the stock stem to a 75mm stem with a small rise, mainly for cockpit reasons (I wanted the bars closer to me and higher) and was pleased with the results. A good LBS should be able to help you get the bike fitted properly.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well you don't list your frame size or current stem so I'll generalise. A 60mm stem and a 740mm handlebar will make a significant difference to your ability to chuck the bike round and make it more playful.