Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2012 Epic Expert EVO R

I'm thinking about ordering one of these for next season.

The main two issues I have are the 1x10 setup, and the weight. Does anyone own one yet, and what do you think about it? Any photo's?

A 1x10 should be fine for my WI riding, but might be tough if I race in CO 1x next year again. I really like my SS bike now, so the 1x10 shouldn't be that bad to get used to. I like the weight of the sworks(duh!), but not the pricetag associated with it. I think the EVO R is more suited for me, and my pocketbook.

I'm thinking the EVO R, with a lighter (tubeless) wheelset and cassette should be around 23#?

mtbr member
    If your concerned about the 1x10, you should get the regular expert and buy a chainring ($40) and chain guide ($50-60). Then you can switch back and forth whenever you want, it'd be much cheaper than buying a 2x10 chain ring set, front derailleur and shifter. I think the only other difference in the expert vs expert evo is the evo has a carbon bar (70 gram difference). Plus the regular expert will have better resale value imo

The Evo should definitely be 23 lbs with a lighter wheelset and cassette.

dirk
    Jul 2011
    Yesterday my epic evo 29er (XL) arrived at my dealers place it's about 23.3 lbs. This week they will put on an XX 42-28 crank, XO front derailleur, XX rear derailleur, xx shifters and a Thomson saet pen.
    Can't wait pick it up next Friday.
    Show my pics later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Dirksvdv,
    I'm anxious to hear how the front der and shifter are installed. This sounds like my dream build, so please let us know when it's done, and the final weight. I was also worried about putting a 2x10 crank on it, and whether or not it'll intefere w/the chainstay.

dirk
    Jul 2011
    My Dealer talked with Specialized and Sram here in the Netherlands, there comment was “ it has to fit”.
    I will keep you updated

mtbr member
    why wouldn't it fit? it's the same as a regular epic frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just curious. I prefer the EVO R color frameset versus the expert white/black. I'd like to install a 2x10 as well. I'm just worried that "something" won't fit.
    -front der not fitting, due to a wierd 'chainguard mounting' or something
    -XX crankset or BB not fitting for some reason, or need an adaptor of sorts.
    -wondering about the front der cable routing, if it exists?
    -by adding a 2x10, will it mess up the chain line? or will a chainring hit the chainstay?
    -does it have a metal plate on the chainstay to protect it from chainsuck damage?

I just wanted to be sure 'upgrading' to the 2x10 will 100% work on this frameset, before spending $5800 on a bike.

dirk
    Jul 2011
    This afternoon I’ll receive my brand new epic 29er evo. I will make some pictures with some close ups

dirk
    Jul 2011
    It's a great bike drives fantastic xx is super here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images        

dirk
    Jul 2011
    Sorry pics are a bit dark try it again tomorow

mtbr member
    The bike looks amazing, how tall are you?!!

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike.

dirk
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6.6 ft, I'm glad it fits well.

dirk
    Jul 2011

We the people ...

The crank is a bb and 42-28 rings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Idea! 2011 Epic EvoR 1X10 to 2X10 Mod

Has anyone tried tapping oem spider? It looks like it should be a quick drill and tap w/ 8mm X .75 pitch.

I am currently waiting for taps to arrive and hope to get more info since I'll only get one chance to get this right, any thoughts?

Will post step by step, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Epic Expert EVO R-crank-spider.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had my EVO R 29r for a month now
    Absolutely love it!!!
    I had an Epic Comp Carbon 29r for 2011, and this is miles ahead
    Currrently it weighs in at 10.97 kg with a few minor upgrades:
    Ritchey Superlogic Carbon seatpost (saved 100grams over the stock alloy one)
    XTR Pedals
    Blackspire Mono Veloce 36 tooth ring
    S-Works carbon cage
    Tubeless conversion with 2 cups of Stan's in each tyre
    PRO SX 4 computer (in matching ion yellow!)

When I get 10 posts up I'll post some pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Can someone layout the differences between the 29er carbon Epics, and mainly what the differences is in the frames? I'm guessing it's primarily the rear shocks, or other there other differences?

S-Works 29er
    Expert Evo R Carbon 29er
    Expert Carbon 29er
    Comp Carbon 29er

They only offer two of them as 'framesets', so are there only two different frames? Also the S-Works frameset is pictured with the fork, so I'm assuming that is considered part of the package.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thegallery View Post
    S-Works 29er
    Expert Evo R Carbon 29er
    Expert Carbon 29er
    Comp Carbon 29er

They only offer two of them as 'framesets', so are there only two different frames?
    The S-Works frame has a carbon rear triangle and is lighter (by approx 300g). The other three should be identical apart from the paint.

Parts are different. If you want to upgrade parts anyway, the Comp should be the most cost-efficient starting point.

I also read somewhere on this forum that the 2012 Alu frame is less than 250g heavier than the Carbon...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    Just curious. I prefer the EVO R color frameset versus the expert white/black. I'd like to install a 2x10 as well. I'm just worried that "something" won't fit.
    -front der not fitting, due to a wierd 'chainguard mounting' or something
    -XX crankset or BB not fitting for some reason, or need an adaptor of sorts.
    -wondering about the front der cable routing, if it exists?
    -by adding a 2x10, will it mess up the chain line? or will a chainring hit the chainstay?
    -does it have a metal plate on the chainstay to protect it from chainsuck damage?
    I just upgraded my 2011 Evo R. I did not want to go to 26/39, so I tried to get hold of something smaller. For some reason, there is no 22/36 or 24/38 replaceable spider for BB30 available (at least in my country), only for GXP. The S2200 crank is basically the same as X.0. The smaller 2x10 are the same spider as the 3x10 (64/104). So the only choice available is a 3x spider with 22x33x44, for which I would need smaller chainrings.

Instead, I got a S1400 BB30 with 24/36 that someone removed from a new Stumpjumper. This fit easily, so I guess that all SRAM BB30 cranks will fit as well. The chainline from the 1x corresponds to the middle ring of the 2x10.

Derailleur is more complicated. There are lots of SRAM models. Because of the S3 direct mount, you need to get the one that fits your largest chainring. I got an X.7 S3 for 36T (an X.0 would have been available at twice the price and 17g less). When fitting it, you need to keep the adaptor from the chain guide AND you need a washer and a longer screw for one of the mount points. The washer was supplied with my bike (but I had to find it....) and I could take the longer screw from the chain guide, although the head is somewhat large. I guess you could get these two items from a dealer. There is only one mounting position for the derailleur. I first thought the chainline would be too tight, but evetually it fit without problems.

You just need a 2x shifter (I took an X.0 because I had switched to X.0 shifters which are a little bit more precise than the X.9s) and a single piece of cable housing , which can be mounted under the downtube using an open mounting position (so everything is prepared). In my case the housing of the rear shifter cable was a Jagwire (seems to be Kevlar look) and I tried to find this, but ended up with a Jagwire titanium that works well, but does not match in color :-(

In summary, the frame is well prepared for the conversion. Now I just have an aluminium crank instead of a carbon one. My next step is to try to drill M8 holes into the spider of the S2200 (where the small chainring can be fixed) and transfer the chainrings. It looks like SRAM just avoided drilling these holes into the spider to get people to buy a spider upgrade!!! Furthermore, the X.0 spider (or S2200) is really different than the X.9 (or S1400) spider because the X.0 crankarms are wider.

Hope this helps someone trying to do the conversion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zr3rs View Post
    The S-Works frame has a carbon rear triangle and is lighter (by approx 300g). The other three should be identical apart from the paint.

Parts are different. If you want to upgrade parts anyway, the Comp should be the most cost-efficient starting point.

I also read somewhere on this forum that the 2012 Alu frame is less than 250g heavier than the Carbon...
    Thanks! weight is significant as I'm looking for a bike that will be a racer. And 300g would offset the hit of the drop post I ride.

Iv'e ridden an aluminum Sette Razzo 29er HT for a few years now. Great bike, very light, even feels somewhat flexi compareed to bikes in the past. But after riding a Performance Stealth 29er Carbon for the summer I was trying to figure out what I liked more about its Carbon frame. It wasn't that it was more or less stiff, or that it was even lighter than the alum Razzo. It just felt different. A buddy used the word, "resonance", and that I think best decribes it. It seemed absorb the terrain with less, or maybe, softer resonance. Amazing on the road I could really feel the difference. With the same tires and wheelset the carbon just hummed along nicer.

For my size (180lb), for racing on varied terrain, and my lack of confidence on bumpy descents, I'd be happiest on an FS. Not to mention my older body and all the training miles I'm doing.

My original plan was to go with the new Carbon Razzo 29er HT. Low price, tapered head tube, seemingly a well designed frame overall. Super light too. But an FS would be more versatile. The SWorks Epic is more of a dream bike at the moment, and yet I've noticed it's the bike of choice for a large segment of my toughest competition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zr3rs View Post
    I just upgraded my 2011 Evo R. I did not want to go to 26/39, so I tried to get hold of something smaller. For some reason, there is no 22/36 or 24/38 replaceable spider for BB30 available (at least in my country), only for GXP. The S2200 crank is basically the same as X.0. The smaller 2x10 are the same spider as the 3x10 (64/104). So the only choice available is a 3x spider with 22x33x44, for which I would need smaller chainrings.

Instead, I got a S1400 BB30 with 24/36 that someone removed from a new Stumpjumper. This fit easily, so I guess that all SRAM BB30 cranks will fit as well. The chainline from the 1x corresponds to the middle ring of the 2x10.

Derailleur is more complicated. There are lots of SRAM models. Because of the S3 direct mount, you need to get the one that fits your largest chainring. I got an X.7 S3 for 36T (an X.0 would have been available at twice the price and 17g less). When fitting it, you need to keep the adaptor from the chain guide AND you need a washer and a longer screw for one of the mount points. The washer was supplied with my bike (but I had to find it....) and I could take the longer screw from the chain guide, although the head is somewhat large. I guess you could get these two items from a dealer. There is only one mounting position for the derailleur. I first thought the chainline would be too tight, but evetually it fit without problems.

You just need a 2x shifter (I took an X.0 because I had switched to X.0 shifters which are a little bit more precise than the X.9s) and a single piece of cable housing , which can be mounted under the downtube using an open mounting position (so everything is prepared). In my case the housing of the rear shifter cable was a Jagwire (seems to be Kevlar look) and I tried to find this, but ended up with a Jagwire titanium that works well, but does not match in color :-(

In summary, the frame is well prepared for the conversion. Now I just have an aluminium crank instead of a carbon one. My next step is to try to drill M8 holes into the spider of the S2200 (where the small chainring can be fixed) and transfer the chainrings. It looks like SRAM just avoided drilling these holes into the spider to get people to buy a spider upgrade!!! Furthermore, the X.0 spider (or S2200) is really different than the X.9 (or S1400) spider because the X.0 crankarms are wider.

Hope this helps someone trying to do the conversion.
    So, heres my conversion. I ended up drill and tapping the original spider w/ 8X.75 tapp($6 from Amazon delivered in 2 days). My gear rings are now 36/22 shifts flawless w/ X7 derailluer and X9 shifter. At the time when I ordered the front derailluer I had no knowlege of three different types of front derailluer. I 'm not sure which one I have but I had to add 3 spacers to make it work. Also, when drilling the spider, you will need to drill through the other side of the spider for the two open side of the spider which will be covered by the crank arm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Epic Expert EVO R-.jpg  

2012 Epic Expert EVO R-b.jpg  

2012 Epic Expert EVO R-c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    any more pics of this bike? benny?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by philc26 View Post
    My gear rings are now 36/22 shifts flawless w/ X7 derailluer and X9 shifter. At the time when I ordered the front derailluer I had no knowlege of three different types of front derailluer. I 'm not sure which one I have but I had to add 3 spacers to make it work.
    This is how it looks like on my bike. I have the 36T specific derailleur, which sits much lower, but good to hear that yours works too. Instead of your spacers, I have the piece that was delivered with my bike (see arrow).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Epic Expert EVO R-evo-x7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    zr3rs, can you snap another pic directly from side showing height of derailleur, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by philc26 View Post
    zr3rs, can you snap another pic directly from side showing height of derailleur, thanks.
    This is just a quick attempt, i hope you can see what you want to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Epic Expert EVO R-img_20120111_202248.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast