Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er weight

Please post the real-life, out-of-the-box weight of your Epic Expert Carbon 29er 2012. There is so big spread between the weights I've seen so far that it'd be great to get an extensive list of honest weights.

I'll start with the weight of a size L I saw in my LBS: 25,13lb.

mtbr member
    A friend got his Large 2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er late last year. With pedals and no tubes he said it came in at 25 pounds. I wasn't there to see if it was 25.X, but he said it was "right at 25".

I picked up my 2012 XL a few weeks ago. I had them put on new SPD M520 pedals and set it up tubeless. It weighed in at 26.1 pounds. I didn't notice it at the time but it still had the front and rear reflectors on it, not that it would have made a difference to take them off, just pointing it out so that you know exactly how mine was set up at the time.

P1050230

FWIW, the 2011 Epic Comp (Al) 29er I bought a year ago was 28.8 pounds with SPD's and no tubes.

Riding the two bikes back to back, the Expert Carbon rides 10 pounds lighter.

I used to be one of those guys that didn't think a few pounds off the weight of a frame would make much difference. Now I'm a believer!

By the way, not to hijack the thread, but I recently discovered that the left chain-stay on my '11 Comp was cracked. Since my new Expert Carbon has an M5 rear triangle also, I will be watching it like a hawk. 12 months is the warranty period for the rear triangle, since they consider it a part of the suspension. You may want to pay close attention. Since I have a bike stand I rarely have the bike completely upside down, and that was where the crack was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New Epic Expert Carbon 29 race bike

I just took delivery on the Large (epic expert carbon). out of the box, without pedals, no reflectors, it weighed 25lb 2oz.

I'm in the process of upgrading (American Classic MTB 29 RACE wheels/1080 cassette/s-works post/Truvativ T40 flat carbonbars) to make it lighter. I added the (heavier) Ergon grips w/carbon bar ends.

I have my new wheels setup tubeless, and installed.

I'm 95% done right now, and it's 24lb 8oz. I'll be adding a (lighter)s-works post yet, but adding weight of a zeebottle cage, and bar plugs yet. It should be pretty close to race-ready weight of 24lb 8oz right now.

(The front wheel swap alone, shaved 240grams(8oz), or 1/2 pound of rotational weight. The stock wheels must be pretty heavy.)

Let me know if you have any questions....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    I'm 95% done right now, and it's 24lb 8oz. I'll be adding a (lighter)s-works post yet, but adding weight of a zeebottle cage, and bar plugs yet. It should be pretty close to race-ready weight of 24lb 8oz right now.
    The S-works post isn't lighter than the alloy post. They are both 270ish grams (400mm).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'll let you know next week when when I compare weights. Based on specialized site: "Weight: 215g (400mm)" for the S-works post.

I couldn't find any published weights on the alloy post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    j_shoe99: Is there an 142+option on those wheels or does the normal X-12 work? And what did you pay for the wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    umm...im not too sure exactly. I just told my friendly LBS manager to order them for me.

I think you just specify you need the 142 rear when you order them, and that's what they ship you, no extra charge. $999retail. They just released this past month. published at 1,419grams.

They are pretty damn light, and look great on the bike. Hopefully they prove to be durable over the course of a season!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am running a set of the American Classic Race MTB 29on my 2011 Epic. They stayed true all of last season. Only issue is I ran too little air pressue and bottomed out a few times causing the rim to dent. So don't cheat the air pressure too much.

I belive there is an adapter that was at a slight additional charge for the 142. Make sure they know to include it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    I'll let you know next week when when I compare weights. Based on specialized site: "Weight: 215g (400mm)" for the S-works post.

I couldn't find any published weights on the alloy post.
    215 is the 350mm version
    I have both, the 400's are each 270-272.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Mine came in at 25 lbs. 0 oz. freshly built out of the box, without reflectors or pedals.

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for this thread. It's very helpful as I'm about to pull the trigger on an Epic Expert Carbon 29er in XL. Naturally, I want to put it on a diet as well. It seems like we all agree that swapping out the wheels for tubless carbon Rovals saves at least 1.5 pounds. Upgrades to the bars, stem, and seat post might drop another half pound, getting an XL down to a little over 23 before pedals. Has anyone found any other ways to drop a little weight? What about the rear cassette? Grips, pedals, and seat are such a personal preference but there might be some options on the seat. I know I'll have $7K + (retail) invested but I'll still be thousands less than an S-Works. Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Expert in L weighs 25.00 lbs with Candy 3 pedals, XX cassette, set up tubeless with one scoop of selant in each tire.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about dropping 675 grams by going to tubeless Rovals. The stock wheels are not that heavy, and the stock tubes are lightweight. If you keep the stock tires, I wouldn't expect more than a 1 pound drop swapping wheels and going tubeless.

As far as big weight savings besides swapping the wheels, bars & post are probably the best bang for the buck. The XX cassette is a pretty big weight savings over the stock one, but it's a pretty big $/gram ratio. I also went from the stock lock-on style grips to the ESI chunky grips to save a few grams.

So far with mine I've made the following changes to large Epic Expert 29er:
    ENVE XC wheels
    Continental Race Kings tires
    Easton EC70 riser bars
    FSA OS-99 90mm stem
    Thomson Masterpiece post
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Time ATAC XS Ti pedals
    ESI Chunky grips
    15mm T-A SID fork lowers
    Magura MT-6 brakes w/180mm front, 160mm rear rotors

This got the bike to a weight of 25.3 lbs. with pedals, so it's only a few ounces lighter than stock.

The reality is that even though I switched to some lighter goodies, it was balanced out by personal preference items like tires that work on surfaces that aren't smooth hardpack and the saddle I prefer. So the bike is only a little lighter than stock, but I really feel like it's dialed in how I want it.

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    Good info. Thanks for taking the time to post the details of your build. I know whatever I choose to do the new bike going to be at least 3.5 pounds lighter than my current Ventana El Patron, a very nice AL bike with what was top-end stuff six years ago (XO, Thompson, Shimano 29er wheels). It comes in right at 28.5 lbs. with Eggbeaters, Maxxis Ignitors, and tubes.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the 2012 Epic Expert in size L. I added a few upgrades and am hoping to get the bike to mid 22lbs.

Started at 25lbs stock then changed:
    shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chainrings all to XX.
    Crankarms are specialized carbon
    Changed seat post, stem, bars, pedals to crank brothers cobalt 11.
    Seat is Fizik Gobi XM with carbon wrapped rails
    Tubeless sworks renegade in the rear, tubeless sworks fastrac in the front
    Roval control wheels currently on, Control SL on order
    Awaiting delivery of Avid XX world cup brake set.

Current weight before wheel and brake upgrade is 23lbs 11oz

The sworks was going to be my gift to myself for finishing residency, but found a great deal on this bike and can have it darn close to the specs of the sworks at about 1/2 the price, which I can deal with!

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    Great info, tonloc08. I'd be interested to know roughly how much you invested in the upgrades including the wheels and tires on order. Sounds like around $3K not including the income from selling the take-off parts? I realize sharing how much one spends on this stuff can be awkward so feel free to email me directly if that's more comfortable, tallmtnbiker@yahoo.com. Thanks.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tallmtnbiker View Post
    Great info, tonloc08. I'd be interested to know roughly how much you invested in the upgrades including the wheels and tires on order. Sounds like around $3K not including the income from selling the take-off parts? I realize sharing how much one spends on this stuff can be awkward so feel free to email me directly if that's more comfortable, tallmtnbiker@yahoo.com. Thanks.
    I already had the cranks. The crank bros stuff I got through a team deal that is significantly discounted. Approx $550 for crank bros 11 post, bars, stem, pedals. Approx $750 for xx drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs, cassette), $1200 for wheels, $400 for brakes, $150 for seat, $40 for sworks renegade rear. $100 for black kmc 10sl dlc chain.

I expect to recoup a little over $1000 from take off parts.

Total amt put into the bike is about the same as retail even before selling any take off parts.

Hope that helps!

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    Thanks, all very helpful. I hope you'll post some close-up shots of the sweet rig.

Happy riding.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Mine is stock except for removing the tubes,and adding a computer,cage and 959 pedals.
    The weight is 25.63 lbs. The pics arent that great - sorry.
    I plan to swap the stem and seatpost for Thomson, and add my Roval carbon wheels and Conti Race Kings which are currently on my hardtail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er weight-epic.jpg  

2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er weight-epic1.jpg  

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    My XL came in at 25.0 completely stock and without pedals, reflectors, or pie plate (on the shop Park scale). With Eggbeater Ti (5-year old), it's at 25.6.

In a week or so, I'll be able to report the weight with the carbon Roval Control Trail SL wheels (1550 grams) and set-up tubeless. Step two will be upgrading with Easton carbon stem, seat post, and bars.

The target is mid-23 pounds, or 1-1.5 pounds more than an S-Works.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The new crank bros 11 carbon stem, post, bars are pretty underrated in my opinion. They are light, strong, and good looking. There are good deals on eBay too. I love mine! On a side note, I was talking to a guy that had a SWEET set of carbon wheels that looked just like he rovals, just without all the loud red logos. He said that they are about the same weight an very strong. He got the rims from overseas for $150 a piece and laced them to American classic hubs. Set up tubeless without any issues. I'm going to look into where he got them from. I put the roval control SL wheels on mine and it's down to 22.8 lbs. Just waiting for brakes and I'll post pictures if I can figure out how to shrink them down to size.

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    I picked up my new bike with the new Roval Carbon trail SL wheels set up tubeless. These sweet wagon wheels knocked off a total of 1 pound, 6 ounces (725 grams) from the stock Roval wheels. My XL is now at 24.0 pounds with Ti Eggbeaters and carbon bottle cage, a pleasant surprise.

Planned upgrades to come and expected weight savings are: Easton EC90 XC bars (110 gr savings); Crank Brothers Cobalt II post (I need both the 400 mm length and 20 mm setback for my long legs) (160 gr savings); and possibly Easton EA70 stem (25 gr savings). Total weight savings with these upgrades should be right at 300 grams or 10 ounces bringing the bike weight down to 23 pounds, 6 ounces. I plan to stop there for now.

Selling the original wheels on eBay should just about pay for these upgrades.

First shakedown ride in the morning and first race two days later. I can't wait to start climbing on a bike five+ pounds lighter then any 29er I have ridden before. Yippee!
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallmtnbiker View Post
    I picked up my new bike with the new Roval Carbon trail SL wheels set up tubeless. These sweet wagon wheels knocked off a total of 1 pound, 6 ounces (725 grams) from the stock Roval wheels. My XL is now at 24.0 pounds with Ti Eggbeaters and carbon bottle cage, a pleasant surprise.

Planned upgrades to come and expected weight savings are: Easton EC90 XC bars (110 gr savings); Crank Brothers Cobalt II post (I need both the 400 mm length and 20 mm setback for my long legs) (160 gr savings); and possibly Easton EA70 stem (25 gr savings). Total weight savings with these upgrades should be right at 300 grams or 10 ounces bringing the bike weight down to 23 pounds, 6 ounces. I plan to stop there for now.

Selling the original wheels on eBay should just about pay for these upgrades.

First shakedown ride in the morning and first race two days later. I can't wait to start climbing on a bike five+ pounds lighter then any 29er I have ridden before. Yippee!
    1lb 6oz is 623 grams
    725 grams is 1lb 9.6oz
    Can you weigh the wheels off your bike? Seems like the wheels off your expert are heavy. I know you went tubeless at the same time but if your shop set it up they probably put 2 scoops in each tire which only saves 120(ish) grams total.

The stock post is 270ish grams, I don't think the cobalt post is 110 grams...

mtbr member
    25.94 with Command seat dropper. Med. Tubeless.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

tallmtnbiker
    Jan 2007
    Hmmm. My online weight converter has 725 grams as 1.59 pounds so I misread it as 1 pound six ounces I guess. I have a gram scale coming and I will weigh the wheels when it arrives. My weights are on a hanging Park scale at the shop last Saturday with the stock wheels, tubes, and tires and the Ti Eggbeaters (25.6 on the scale) to today with the only difference the carbon wheels and tubeless (24.0). Maybe 25.6 doesn't mean 25 pounds, six ounces but means 25 pounds and 6/10 of a pound, or about 9 ounces?

Thanks for the weight of the stock post. I found 335 listed as the weight of a used one for sale but I haven't taken mine off yet. I will weigh it when I get the gram scale in. The Cobalt 30.8/400mm/20mm setback seems to be around 175 grams but it's difficult to find a reliable figure.

I believe the stock bars are around 225 grams.

I appreciate you taking the time to read the post and correct/comment.
    Tall Mountain Biker
    San Diego, Calif.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast