• 12-02-2012
    jhat
    2012 epic chain stay removal
    I have a 2012 Epic which is in need of some new bearings. The bearings in the S link are not doing so well and I thought I would check the other bearings while I am at it. What I cannot figure out is how to take the chain stay off. When the shock is detached the spread in the chain stay is too narrow to clear the seat tube. What is the trick here to getting the chain stay off of the bike to replace the drop out bearings?

Secondly the chain stay/drop out double bearings look tough to get out and possibly drive back in. How are people dealing with it? I do not necessarily thing these bearings are bad right now but it is only a matter of time before they need replacement.
  • 12-02-2012
    skiwi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jhat View Post
    I have a 2012 Epic which is in need of some new bearings. The bearings in the S link are not doing so well and I thought I would check the other bearings while I am at it. What I cannot figure out is how to take the chain stay off. When the shock is detached the spread in the chain stay is too narrow to clear the seat tube. What is the trick here to getting the chain stay off of the bike to replace the drop out bearings?

Secondly the chain stay/drop out double bearings look tough to get out and possibly drive back in. How are people dealing with it? I do not necessarily thing these bearings are bad right now but it is only a matter of time before they need replacement.

Remove the top link on the LHS chain stay - there is a hex bolt holding it on.

Drive the bearings out with a drift, you not going to use them again. I use an old socket with the right OD for the bearing to drive the new bearings in. Remember to always drive the bearing in using the outer race.
  • 12-02-2012
    jhat
    I should have elaborated in my original post. I have the Epic Comp so it has the aluminum rear triangle. I see in the manual how the carbon verson's left hand side has the removable top section but the aluminum version looks to be one welded piece unless I am missing something.
  • 12-03-2012
    skiwi
    Quote:

I should have elaborated in my original post. I have the Epic Comp so it has the aluminum rear triangle. I see in the manual how the carbon verson's left hand side has the removable top section but the aluminum version looks to be one welded piece unless I am missing something.

OK, for the alloy rear triangle, you need to remove it all as a piece. Once you have removed the main pivot (at the BB) you can remove the whole triangle without removing the seatstays from the chainstays. You do that bit later when you have the unit on your bench.
  • 12-03-2012
    jhat
    Where I am getting stuck is the opening in the seat stay (waere the shock hat been bolted on) is narrower than the seat tube. Without flexing the seat stay at the bridge, I do not see how the seat stay clears the seat tube. Given that it is aluminum, that seems to not be the answer.
  • 12-03-2012
    skiwi
    Quote:

Where I am getting stuck is the opening in the seat stay (waere the shock hat been bolted on) is narrower than the seat tube. Without flexing the seat stay at the bridge, I do not see how the seat stay clears the seat tube. Given that it is aluminum, that seems to not be the answer.

You withdraw the rear triangle between the chainstay/BB pivot and the seat post - you don't/can't the other way...