mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2012 epic carbon comp and sworks carbon crank issue

I have an epic carbon comp and I bought a pair of 2010 model sworks carbon cranks used. Had some issues with the spacers. After installing what specialized showed I needed for spacers the cranks had too much play side to side. Added some shims on my own got it tight for a while but then it began to get play. Anyone else having this kind of issue? Installed the stock cranks and everything feels great. I was using the cranks with xx double setup and the large spacer. I'm lost but would like to try and figure this out before I throw them in the garbage.
    Last edited by ruffian; 04-27-2013 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    I have a 12' epic and I bought a pair of 10' model sworks carbon cranks used. Had some issues with the spacers. After installing what specialized showed I needed for spacers the cranks had too much play side to side. Added some shims on my own got it tight for a while but then it began to get play. Anyone else having this kind of issue? Installed the stock cranks and everything feels great. I was using the cranks with xx double setup and the large spacer. I'm lost but would like to try and figure this out before I throw them in the garbage.
    I'll take them if you're going to junk them!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    You have to follow the Spec instructions carefully (from their interweb). They are correct, but very easy to get them wrong. Careful to identify your frame - the spacers required vary accordingly. BTW, the "standard" Spec double spider is actually a triple with the outer chainring mounting holes blanked off. So if you have that spider, you need to follow the instructions for the triple setup, not the double. Counter-intuitive, but BTDT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thx, I've been over the instructions until I was blue in the face. For some reason I have to add another 4mm alloy spacer to take up the slack. That's following the instructions for the carbon frame. I'm using the Sram XX double spider as well with the double spacer. This is a carbon 12' epic with the stock sram pf30 bb. I used the following instructions and had to use an extra number 4, bearing seal spacer, in the pic to keep the cranks from moving laterally. Now when I go to crank up a steep hill I can feel a pop which I can tell is coming from the cranks. Installing stock cranks confirmed its in the cranks. Everything else is tight. Spider, rings, etc.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...B-Crankset.pdf
    Last edited by ruffian; 04-27-2013 at 09:48 PM.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Thx, I've been over the instructions until I was blue in the face. For some reason I have to add another 4mm alloy spacer to take up the slack. That's following the instructions for the carbon frame. I'm using the Sram XX double spider as well with the double spacer. This is a carbon 12' epic with the stock sram pf30 bb. I used the following instructions and had to use an extra number 4, bearing seal spacer, in the pic to keep the cranks from moving laterally. Now when I go to crank up a steep hill I can feel a pop which I can tell is coming from the cranks. Installing stock cranks confirmed its in the cranks. Everything else is tight. Spider, rings, etc.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...B-Crankset.pdf
    I have no idea what an Epic 12' is to be honest I assume a 2012 model? I also assume carbon frame, non S-works (alloy rear triangle). Also assuming therefore that you have the PF30 BB. So you have the 73x46mm BB. If you have the XX spider you should also have the larger dished spacer, not the smaller one which is for the "triple" double Spec spider.

You should also have 2x 4mm spacers, one each side of the LH & RH bearings.

That's what works for me, however I also use a couple of 0.5mm PF30 spacers to get the BB snug.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes it's a 2012 epic carbon comp. I'm using all the spacers that specialized shows for the carbon frame in the above PDF. However, I have to use an extra 4mm spacer to get the cranks tight laterally. So, 3 x 4mm bearing seal spacers. If I set it up per specialized PDF above I can literally move the cranks laterally back and forth with my hands. I am using the larger drive side alloy bearing spacer. Even with the extra 4mm spacer I've now started feeling some movement on certain areas of the trail where a lot of torque is applied to the cranks. I'm using the stock plastic pf30 bearing seals as the alloy ones didn't work at all with the pf30 bearings.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Yes it's a 2012 epic carbon comp. I'm using all the spacers that specialized shows for the carbon frame in the above PDF. However, I have to use an extra 4mm spacer to get the cranks tight laterally. So, 3 x 4mm bearing seal spacers. If I set it up per specialized PDF above I can literally move the cranks laterally back and forth with my hands. I am using the larger drive side alloy bearing spacer. Even with the extra 4mm spacer I've now started feeling some movement on certain areas of the trail where a lot of torque is applied to the cranks. I'm using the stock plastic pf30 bearing seals as the alloy ones didn't work at all with the pf30 bearings.
    I'm puzzled about your comment on the seals. The Spec seals are integrated with the 4mm spacers and fit over them. Are you saying that these seals won't work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm using the sram pf30bb that came on the bike. Gonna order the correct specialized press in cups/bearings and see if that fixes my issue.
    Last edited by ruffian; 04-29-2013 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just FYI I talked with a specialized rep and that was my issue. Must use the specialized press in cups and bearings. The stock sram pf30bb is a no go. Thanks for the help!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Just FYI I talked with a specialized rep and that was my issue. Must use the specialized press in cups and bearings. The stock sram pf30bb is a no go. Thanks for the help!
    Ok, that all now makes sense. I've looked at the SRAM PF30 setup, and I can't see why it wouldn't work but you would have to cobble together spacers as you have done to get the chain line right. The other concern is that in the Spec setup, you have an alloy spacer that keeps the inner faces of the PF30 bearings separated, and this fit is very snug on the crank. With the PF30 setup, the alloy spacer is replaced with a plastic tube which has a joint in the middle, so the bearings would tend to float more on the crank over time...

With the Spec setup apart from the spacer, you have two 4mm spacers integrated with the wiper seals that fit over them. I have checked my setup and I have a single plastic 0.5mm plastic spacer outside the large dished spacer to get the end float right. Technically I shouldn't need any...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep the sram pf30 bearing locked up when I tried use the spec alloy bearing covers. I had just been using the plastic seals that belong to the sram bb. Luckily the spec rep was at the bike store yesterday and confirmed the bb compatibility issue. Not alot of info out about that and my lbs was clueless as was I. I owe you a big thanks because you're thoughts made it finally click.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had the same problems on my 2012 Epic Evo you definitely need to use the s-works cups and bearing then it all works like a dream

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ausyonline View Post
    I had the same problems on my 2012 Epic Evo you definitely need to use the s-works cups and bearing then it all works like a dream
    Wish I could say the same. I received the specialized cups and it was crap as well. Either locked up with correct spacers per specialized or too loose improvising. Sold this week and l'll be buying one of the new ck pf30 x type bb and xtr cranks. I'm done with that proprietary ****.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Wish I could say the same. I received the specialized cups and it was crap as well. Either locked up with correct spacers per specialized or too loose improvising. Sold this week and l'll be buying one of the new ck pf30 x type bb and xtr cranks. I'm done with that proprietary ****.
    With the greatest respect, I suggest that you did something wrong. On the Spec crank, you are able to pack extra PF30 spacers (the 0.5mm ones) until there is correct endfloat. On the Spec crank (as with any UltraTorque crank), you have a wave washer on the LHS to ensure that endfloat is variable.