Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2012 Carve Pro vs SJ Comp 29

I am ready to purchase a new bike and find myself jumping up in levels everytime I do more research. At first I was set on getting the Carve Comp, then research has worked me all the way up to the Pro.

Now the Carve Pro has an MSRP of 2000 so that leads me to wonder if I should spend the extra 200 and get the SJ Comp 29. The SJ all together is much lighter and from what I can see also has better components.

I know some people are gonna say 'Get which ever one that feels the best'. But I am out of town at work and can't ride either until I go home in a few weeks.

So based on your guys' personal experiences with each, and with the components on each, I would like your personal opinions to help steer me in the right direction.

And just so you know, I am kinda new to riding I guess you could say. I've ridden a MTN bike most of my life but never anything serious. But I am wanting to get more serious and want a bike that will hold up and I won't want/need to upgrade major components anytime soon. I also am 6' and 260 lbs. so I need a bike that will hold up to my weight.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just talked to a guy at my LBS and he likes both bikes and feels that the two feel very similar when ridden in comparison to the geometry. Now for just 200 more I feel the SJ is the better deal, but I still wanna ride both first to make sure I make the right decision.

Here's a link to the comparison between the two:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'd go with the SJ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    I'd go with the SJ.
    But why though? What are your experiences with the two? Or even just one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, based on the specs, the SJ is better spec-ed than the Carve in almost every aspect (depends how you feel about Avid brakes).

If the difference is $200 and you can make the jump, then the SJ is a no-brainer, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd also go for the StumpJumper. The difference in the forks alone is probably worth the price difference. The Reba RL is going to have a much better motion control damper as compared to the turnkey damper in the Recon TK. You're also going to get dual air with the Reba as opposed to just solo air with the Recon. I also like that the SJ is 2x10 out of the box. Finally I prefer SRAM and Avid over Shimano for drivetrain and brakes.

mtbr member
    Definitely the SJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the tips. I know that my LBS has some Carve Pro's coming in that I can ride and should be similar to the SJ. But they don't have any SJ's just coming in, so I'm gonna have to tell them to get on the ball. The weather is still up and down where I live but I'd like to have it soon for the nicer days.

official eMpTyBRain
    I have never ridden a Carve but they do look interesting. However, for just $200 more logic points the SJ with it's lighter frame, lighter/higher end components, and modern drivetrain.

I own an SJ HT 29er and t's a great bike.

Let us know how it goes for you and make sure to post pics!

Compelling, and rich.
    Stumpjumper. For reasons you've already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott300RUM View Post
    The SJ all together is much lighter and from what I can see also has better components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I have never ridden a Carve but they do look interesting. However, for just $200 more logic points the SJ with it's lighter frame, lighter/higher end components, and modern drivetrain.

I own an SJ HT 29er and t's a great bike.

Let us know how it goes for you and make sure to post pics!
    It's nice to hear from someone who has actual experice on the SJ. I'd love to hear from someone who has experience on both but the Carve is still pretty new yet so maybe not that people have tried one. I will definitely post pics when I get it and thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's nice to hear from someone who has actual experice on the SJ. I'd love to hear from someone who has experience on both but the Carve is still pretty new yet so maybe not that people have tried one. I will definitely post pics when I get it and thanks for the help.
    I've test ridden the 2010 SJ Comp 29er. The bike is a rocket ship! Haven't ridden a Carve, but the Stumpy felt amazing. It is very quick off the line and is amazing for fast flowy singletrack.

I also forgot to mention that the SJ is going to have an M5 frame while the Carve uses M4. The SJ frame will weigh less than the Carve frame. So even if you built the Carve frame up to match the SJ, the SJ will still weight less, not to mention it will cost a lot more than $200 for that build. Honestly for a Reba RL, and M5 frame, X7/X9 2x10 drivetrain, PF30 bottom bracket, I think the extra $200 is worth it.

It'd be interesting to see what the difference in weight is between the Carve Pro and the StumpJumper Comp 29er. I'd guess it would be noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been riding my 2010 stumpjumper comp 29er for 2 years and over 2000 miles. The bike is light, fast and rails the corners, I will definately keep this bike forever. The only parts I replaced over the years are tires, brake pads and grips. I'ts almost time to replace my drivetrain and wheels and I can't wait to upgrade them to make the bike even lighter and more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cbatenga View Post
    I've been riding my 2010 stumpjumper comp 29er for 2 years and over 2000 miles. The bike is light, fast and rails the corners, I will definately keep this bike forever. The only parts I replaced over the years are tires, brake pads and grips. I'ts almost time to replace my drivetrain and wheels and I can't wait to upgrade them to make the bike even lighter and more fun to ride.
    The more I hear from you guys and the more I read about this bike the more excited I get!! I can't wait to go pick this thing up. Now to just get the 2200 doll hairs. I just hope that it's not too much bike for me and that I can utilize what this bike is meant for and become a better and more skilled rider. I probably need to find some guys to ride with and I can learn from them, but at the same time I don't want to be a burden to anyone and/or slow them down. I guess we'll just see how it goes, and I'll give it hell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The more I hear from you guys and the more I read about this bike the more excited I get!! I can't wait to go pick this thing up. Now to just get the 2200 doll hairs. I just hope that it's not too much bike for me and that I can utilize what this bike is meant for and become a better and more skilled rider. I probably need to find some guys to ride with and I can learn from them, but at the same time I don't want to be a burden to anyone and/or slow them down. I guess we'll just see how it goes, and I'll give it hell.
    Always good to see a new rider stoked on mountain biking! I started seriously riding 2 years ago. From my experience, mountain bikers are very welcoming to other riders, so I'm sure you'll find someone to ride with. I like a good mix of solo and group riding. On one hand riding solo is good because you if you want to practice a tough section of single track you can easily hit it a few times until you figure out the best line to take. But riding with people that are better than you is great too because you push yourself to keep up to their level of riding and they can watch you and give you pointers. Both will make you a better rider.

The Stumpy Comp 29er definitely won't be too much bike for you. You'll appreciate the lighter weight on longer rides and climbs. The Reba RL fork will give you a plusher, more tuneable ride. The higher spec'd and more modern (2x10 PF30) drivetrain will improve its performance and longevity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Go with the Stumpy,for $200 more you are getting all this over the Carve.
    M5 vs M4 frame
    Reba over Recon
    2x10 vs 3x10
    PF30 Bottom Bracket
    Better Wheels.
    A faster and lighter bike.

I have the 2012 Stumpy Evo HT and I love this bike. My 4th MTB and so far the best one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I made the obvious decision and went and ordered the Stumpy on friday. I'm back out of town at work and won't be home for a few more weeks but I'm pretty damn excited to get that thing. Now to just learn how to 'actually' ride and tap into the potential of that bad boy! Thanks again for all your help guys.

Oh and I ordered the red/black one in 19", just to let ya know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I made the obvious decision and went and ordered the Stumpy on friday. I'm back out of town at work and won't be home for a few more weeks but I'm pretty damn excited to get that thing. Now to just learn how to 'actually' ride and tap into the potential of that bad boy! Thanks again for all your help guys.

Nice, welcome to the club! Make sure you take some pics and post them up when you get it in!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Pics are mandatory

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I order the 17.5 last Friday from my LBS. Same wh/rd/bk. It should be in in the next couple of days. I was also looking at the Carve Pro but in addition to all that has been mentioned the geometry is a bit more relaxed on the SJ which will be better for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good choice rod, you'll have to let me know what you think about it when you get it. And R+P+K and mmckechnie I will post pics for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If it makes you feel better, I took a friend to our LBS yester day to test ride both these bikes. He went with the SJ. He said if pedaled better and felt much faster and more responsize than the carve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I picked up the SJ a few says ago and finally got to ride it about 5 miles today on some rocky and rough rig roads by where I'm working. Now this bike is being compared to a 9 year old $400 Diamondback 26" so maybe it isn't fair, but this SJ is amazing in every way so far. From the geometry to the lightness to the overall feel.

I'm going to try and ride it farther tomorrow. It's just tough cause there's so much truck traffic on these narrow roads so it can be a little hairy at times. Oh and I will post pics tomorrow. Hope you guys won't mind it'll be a little dirty haha.

mtbr member
    Nice, $200 price difference is a steal for what more you get out of the SJ.

The Carve is a trail bike that can be raced but the SJ hardtail is a race bike that can be trail ridden.
    The stumpy is just faster.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    SJ. The components are better, the bike is much lighter, and upgrades to the SJ will go farther than they would in a Carve.

One thing I learned from this, golf, and archery is that you buy the best equipment you can afford, don't get beginner equipment for the sake of getting beginner equipment. Ultimately, you're going to want the better equipment shortly thereafter and now you've bought two bikes......at least that's what I did.

I went from Hardrock to Rockhopper to Stumpjumper. All in less than a year. When I could have just gotten the Stumpjumper because I could have afforded it but convinced myself it was too much bike for me and that I needed a 'beginner' bike.

P.S. - considering you already made your choice when I made this post, let me say it was a damn fine choice. Enjoy!
    Last edited by VanillaEps; 04-18-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast