mtbr member

2012 Camber comp 29 & comp carbon 29 diff?

I'm looking to upgrade this year to my first 29er? The big think I'm worried about is the weight diff. and climbing from a 26 to a 29? Will I feel a diff if I drop the extre $1100 for the carbon? Does anyone know the diff in the frame weigh on the two? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pretty sure it's about a 3/4 pound difference between a m5 frame and a carbon frame. That was from a post I remember a few months back. It's main advantages are stiffness and compliance, then the weight advantage.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    I was told the carbon frames wouldn't hold up like the m5. I'm still not sure I want to go up to the 29 but everyone that ride with me that has loves them. I've only been riding for a year.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhitt1981 View Post
    I was told the carbon frames wouldn't hold up like the m5. I'm still not sure I want to go up to the 29 but everyone that ride with me that has loves them. I've only been riding for a year.
    Have you ever tried one? All it took for me was one ride and I was convinced.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    No. The next time I get to ride the owner of the LBS told me to take his. I'm not sure what the model it is but its the chrome and blue 29er stumpy from last year. He's saling it as a demo model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice bike you'll like it, just couldn't swing the extra grand or so for a carbon frame, plus the evo 29er is exactly what I wanted. If I can find a frameset cheap I'd pick it up and swap everything over from my EVO.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    May 2009

the 29er difference

I got a chance to ride the comp 29 today and it blew me away. I had never ridden a 29er before and was a little scared / skeptical of the supposed deficit in handling as well as the potential difficulty in moving bigger wheels. I've ridden a fair number of high end full sussers and this bike hit the balance on the button. it climbed up icy rocky terrain, had point and shoot descending prowess and was fun over any obstacle i could try. this bike's amazing. period

mtbr member
    I got an Epic Comp (aluminum) 29er last year as an upgrade from my 2006 Stumpjumper 26er. I too was a bit worried about the Epic 29er's agility and climbing capabilities.

The Epic Com 29er worked out fantastic! A huge improvement! Part of that was moving to an Epic and part was moving to a 29er. Hard to tell how much those two things influenced the final experience, but it doesn't really matter, the bike rocked for me.

I didn't like the 3x10 drive-train of the Comp - it would jump from the big chain ring to the small sometimes, and several times it jumped from the middle chain ring off, down to where the chain wrapped around the bottom bracket. Suck! LBS couldn't find anything wrong. I am glad to see that the 2012's are all 2x10. I think it was from experiences like mine with the 3x10.

I also didn't like the Avid "turkey gobble" brakes. They had amazing stopping power but were hard to modulate.

My Comp is an XL and weighed in at 28.8 pounds with SPD's and no tubes. That is a heavy bike.

A week ago I purchased a 2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er. It weighs 26.1 pounds with SPD's and no tubes. I am shocked at how much difference the weight makes. I loved my 2011 Comp and this 2012 Expert Carbon blows it away. It feels like it's 10 pounds lighter. The Expert also got me Formula R1 brakes (awesomeness), and the 2x10 drive train (more awesomeness).

I am totally sold on the Epic 29er's. Goes as high in the Epic lineup as your budget will allow!

P1050239

P1050230