I Ride Bikes

Bonking ... not feelin' well 2012 Camber Carbon frame cracked..3 months old.

Yesterday I completed a 44 mile XC bike ride with a group of friends. So today I decided to give my bike a good cleaning cause it was covered in red dirt/dust. While washing my bike I noticed a good sized crack in the seat tube. Has anyone else have a problem like this? I really hope I can get this covered under warranty. I just bought this bike in July. This is kind of a bummer cause it looks like i won't be riding for a while.

Pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Camber Carbon frame cracked..3 months old.-img_1989.jpg  

2012 Camber Carbon frame cracked..3 months old.-img_1990.jpg  

mtbr member
    They come with a lifetime warranty so you should be fine!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

I Ride Bikes
    yeah I was just reading up on my owner's manual and warranty. I'm just more bummed about not being able to ride. This is the only bike I got. Oh well, I guess it's back to running for now.

I Ride Bikes

Smile New frame is coming!!

Update:

My LBS acted quickly and my new frame has been shipped out as of yesterday. They didn't have the Comp carbon frame so they are sending me the Pro Carbon frame. So I'm getting a pretty sexy black and red frame. I'm stoked. I'm very happy with the quick service I got from Specialized and my LBS.

My new frame will look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Camber Carbon frame cracked..3 months old.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome news Mazu,

Can't wait till you're back up and running the trails again.

The Other Dude
    awesome to hear you are getting back on the trails quick!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

I Ride Bikes
    The new frame arrived this morning. I might try and take a sneak peak of it after work tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    how do you like the camber so far? any toe/tire issues. Im planing on maybe getting it for my son. The aluminum one at 1800 is a good deal.

I Ride Bikes
    I do run into toe overlap sometimes. But other than that the Camber has been great. I think I'm getting the hang of riding a 29er now. So the bike feels more responsive and twitchy....in a good way.

I Ride Bikes
    UPDATE!

My bike is back and better than ever!

I made a thread in the passion section.

Click this--->Got my bike back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

2013 camber comp carbon frame cracked-4 weeks old!

Have the same problem with my 4 week old camber 29er, noticed it had cracked and had a hole in the seat tube whilst cleaning it last week, just waiting for a reply from my lbs they have sent photos to specalized, have only ridden 4 trails on it! Been 4 days now still no reply from dealer how long did it take for them to let you know what was happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Camber Carbon frame cracked..3 months old.-20121231_224819.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks more like a chip/crack in paint or protective coating, but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Looks more like a chip/crack in paint or protective coating, but I could be wrong.
    Never mind, I zoomed in with PS its a crack. Bummer

I Ride Bikes
    Wow, that sucks that it also happened to you. My lbs acted really quick. In 3 days a new frame was being shipped to me.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So if I had a carbon model from Specialized and a crack in the frame was caused by a rock, it would not be covered?

Kinda glad I got an alloy stumpy.

mtbr member
    Just curious of the seat heights of the broken frames?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Run my spesh dropper post about 80% of max hight but not at the highest setting, did not notice any stones or rocks hit the frame, should be able to take stones thrown up its a mountain bike after all. Traded up from an alloy ht stumpjumper wish I had kept it now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe,

[QUOTE=stumpynerd;10047449]So if I had a carbon model from Specialized and a crack in the frame was caused by a rock, it would not be covered?

Kinda glad I got an alloy stumpy.[/QUOTE

Damage from rocks and crashes is not covered under the warranty. However there are alot of cases where S covers things because they want to keep a customer. Chances are if the bike is less then a couple seasons old they would take care of you. Worst case senario they would probably offer you a crash replacement price on a new frame which can be a good deal, or not such a good deal considering you just bought a frame X weeks ago and now you have to pay XXX more.

The alloy frames have the same warranty. Hope this is not the start of a rash of carbon frame failures.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    Just curious of the seat heights of the broken frames?
    I don't know an exact measurement off the top of my head, but there was more than the "minumum" amount of seat post in the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To bad with those cracked carbon frames. I was gonna buy a camber but I might reconsider doing that, even tho speciazlied seem to have a good warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't worry about it.

Specialized has a great track record of taking care of orig owners. I would not hesitate to buy a Camber. A couple broken frames on the net does not mean much compared to the 10 of thousands of frames that are working fine. I might have second thoughts about buying a used carbon camber.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got a replacement bike sent from specialized, my dealer just had to change the wheels over, hope this one holds up ok!

I Ride Bikes
    Wow, a replacement bike. nice.

I'm glad you got taken care of.