Lightly salted

2012-2011 Demo shock choices

Im looking to buy a 2011-2012 demo. I see some with a vanilla rc, rc4 and double barrel shocks. I'm not racing, just riding for fun and usually go more for smoother trails with jumps and drops then the really rocky stuff. I also like a simple setup and not something that I have to spend alot of time getting right. I would probably lean towards a frame with the RC shock due to cheaper price and easier setup. Im more of a set it and forget it rider. For those that have tried the RC shock, are they a good shock for the demo, were you happy with it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi buddy, for what you are describing, the RC is perfect for you and the shock will do the trick, no doubt. I have ridden it on a 2011 Demo but using a Ti coil and felt very good. Super plush.

I am like you with regards to fiddling with suspension but I run a Double Barrel on my 2012 Demo and wow, it was worth every single bit of frustration I had to go through while setting it up. This shock is just trully amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post

I am like you with regards to fiddling with suspension but I run a Double Barrel on my 2012 Demo and wow, it was worth every single bit of frustration I had to go through while setting it up. This shock is just trully amazing.
    Thats good to know. I have just purchased a '12 TLD frame with the CCDB, thought I would sell it and buy something a little easier to set up, but might give it a go first.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you guys know what size the shock mounting hardware spacer is for the 2012 demo 8? I bought a new frame but without shock and the only piece that came on the frame was this offcentered bushing that goes into the eyelet, and this is mounting in the lower position. The upper shock position just has that m8 bolt, but not sure which size kit i should purchase to make it fit, if anyone has experience with this, please help me out, thanks.

And my Demo will be running RC4, probably not as good as CCDB but I hear it's not bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kavika View Post
    Thats good to know. I have just purchased a '12 TLD frame with the CCDB, thought I would sell it and buy something a little easier to set up, but might give it a go first.
    There is plenty of help on the CCDB website and take your time, be patience cause it is frustrating but very well worth it.

The basic Specialized set up might even do the trick for you, you just need to do a couple of clicks here and there!! Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    From installing the RC4 I noticed on my small frame that the rebound knob gets blocked by that linkage that bolts onto the eyelet of the shock. It makes it impossible for me to turn the rebound knob, so if you can avoid this shock do it and go with CCDB.