Cars Are Evil

2011 Triad II - as bad as older Triads?

I'm strongly considering a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. However, I've read a lot of bad things about the Triad shocks. I'm 6'4", 215 lbs, and the mud around here likes to eat seals. From what I've read the Triad on this bike is also a weird size, so if it's a lemon I won't even be able to replace it easily.

So does anybody know if the Triad II is as bad as the older Triads?

mtbr member
    Triad II is suppose to be better, but for me the new shock link is a deal breaker. I have 07 Stumpy with an RP23 that I purchased and PUSH tuned and shortened to correct size. I am not buying any bike I can't put a standard shock on.
    But the impression of Triad II depends on your expectations. I like the rear of the bike to be stiff when I need it, but have the travel to absorb some big hits. Triad is not that. It feels very plush and soft (to me at least) and I can't feel the trail that well with it. Triad has only 1 ProPedal setting, RP23 has 3 and can be tuned by weight and bike geometry. To me it feels like a a nice family SUV vs a real pick-up truck.
    I took one of the new Stumpys out for a quick ride and it didn't feel bad at all, but I know it can be better with a different shock, except for Specialized decided to screw everything up and put a proprietary shaft on that Triad.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    My impression of the Triad II on my Camber Pro is night and day to Daniyarm's

Feels much more like a sports car type handling to me than the monster truck/luxury sedan-ish feel I got from the Brain equipped '11 Stumpy I demoed for a couple of days. Both shocks and forks are/were setup very close to the recommended settings for my riding weight w/ ~5psi more pressure on both ends. The Triad seems to have a good platform ProPedal or open and hugs the terrain very well. The Stumpy Elite had all kinds of reciprocating bob for me, whether I was climbing, hitting stutter bumps, or trying to pump undulating rollers/whoopty doos. I've only managed to get a double rebound on my Camber once when I landed a 4' jump badly off balance and that felt like it was pretty much all fork. I also found the Stumpy to give me very little spring coming off of jumps or out of switchback. If I choose to load up the Camber, I get a very distinct push (in a good way) on the launch or out of high speed corners while feeling very neutral if I'm not actively loading the suspension up.

I was attributing my dislike of the Stumpjumper to the trail tune Brain shock, but maybe it's just the rear suspension design.

I don't have much experience w/ rear shocks or full suspension bikes, but I really enjoy the hell out of my Camber so far. Given the option, I probably would have gone for an RP23, but I haven't found the Triad II to be lacking in any way on this bike of yet.

mtbr member
    Sid is right, Camber felt totally different when I tried it out, stiffer and more alive. I wonder if it has to do with geometry and higher ratio suspension design. If they sold Camber frame by itself, that would probably be my next bike. So I guess Triad is not all that when it's on the right frame, maybe Stumpy is just not the best frame for this shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    Triad II is suppose to be better, but for me the new shock link is a deal breaker. I have 07 Stumpy with an RP23 that I purchased and PUSH tuned and shortened to correct size. I am not buying any bike I can't put a standard shock on.
    But the impression of Triad II depends on your expectations. I like the rear of the bike to be stiff when I need it, but have the travel to absorb some big hits. Triad is not that. It feels very plush and soft (to me at least) and I can't feel the trail that well with it. Triad has only 1 ProPedal setting, RP23 has 3 and can be tuned by weight and bike geometry. To me it feels like a a nice family SUV vs a real pick-up truck.
    I took one of the new Stumpys out for a quick ride and it didn't feel bad at all, but I know it can be better with a different shock, except for Specialized decided to screw everything up and put a proprietary shaft on that Triad.
    Could you please explain how PUSH was able to custom lengthen the RP23 for you? What about price of that job? I'd be open to having that done if its possible. Can the shaft be taken out of the Triad and placed in the RP23? Or is there something else they did to handle it?
    Thanks a ton and this is great news if they have these capabilities there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031
    Could you please explain how PUSH was able to custom lengthen the RP23 for you? What about price of that job? I'd be open to having that done if its possible. Can the shaft be taken out of the Triad and placed in the RP23? Or is there something else they did to handle it?
    Thanks a ton and this is great news if they have these capabilities there.
    I bought an RP23 on ebay that was 7.875x2.0 standard size air canister, not high volume. 07 Stumpjumper shock size is 7.75x1.75. PUSH charged me $50 to shorten the stroke and eye-to-eye on top of the $159 for Factory Tuning System. So for just over $200 I basically got a new shock that was same spec as Triad but custom tuned for my weight and riding style. If you already have RP23 it makes sense to go that route. But if you don't, it's cheaper to get the Monarch RT3 directly from them and they will build it to spec for your bike. Performance is suppose to be the same or better. But either way, it is totally worth it.