mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2011 sworks stumpy fsr compatibility with rp23?

I just bought a new 2011 sworks stumpy fsr frame. I currently have a 2011 stumpy comp fsr. I was in the process of converting mine to an evo by getting the evo link for the rear and having my revelation converted from 140mm to 150mm as its due for service anyway. Then Someone on here mentioned that the evo link is not needed on the 2011 frames but simply if you changed to an rp23 like the evo models have you get the increase in travel.
    The new sworks frame i bought has the brain system but I'm not a huge fan.

I prefer my manual settings of the triad on my comp to the brain tech (I've ridden the 2013 sworks stumpy and epic with it and didn't enjoy the ride feel at all)

So I have been scouting for new or used rp23s but there are a lot of variations. Just wondering what exact length/stroke Combo I need to achieve the evo travel.

Will this one work? - ****************12NjSKl

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/vi...d=300920001409

mtbr member
    The Stumpy uses a special cleavis on the bottom of the shock, so you need a shock from another 2010-2013 SJ.
    You can order one from your local specialized dealer, or get lucky and find one on here or on ebay.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The Stumpy uses a special cleavis on the bottom of the shock, so you need a shock from another 2010-2013 SJ.
    You can order one from your local specialized dealer, or get lucky and find one on here or on ebay.
    Can't just take the cleavis off and swap it over? I thought it was just a bolt that held that in place.

mtbr member
    it is part of the shaft on the shock.

This is the pic from when I swapped my brain shock for the RP23s off the 2011 SJ Evo .

2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Ok I can see the unusual shape at the end of the shaft. So that's a no to getting a kashima rp23, did they change the clevis shape on the later model SJ's. ill call the LBS that orders me the part and see if they can swap the linkage they have on order for a rp23. Otherwise ill just keep the triad I have and my evo ideas will go on hold for a better solution, I'm guessing the link they ordered is for a 2012+ model and isn't going to actually fit my 2011 or make a difference.

Mr Lynch thanks for all your help btw, having been there and done that, your advice is better than people's speculation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Lynch after having 2 failed brains on my 2011 stumpy 29er, then them trying to give me a triad shock I was done. I told my Lbs why would I down grade and take a triad, I wanted a Rp23 CTD with auto sag. I told them I knew it would fit, I had seen that u done it. Specialized told them that they were different shocks. When we got th Rp23 we put it next to the triad and hot dam their the same exact size it mounted without any problems at all. I dont know if it added any travel but I now have 140mm CTD Talas and a Rp23 CTD rear shock to match.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY View Post
    Lynch after having 2 failed brains on my 2011 stumpy 29er, then them trying to give me a triad shock I was done. I told my Lbs why would I down grade and take a triad, I wanted a Rp23 CTD with auto sag. I told them I knew it would fit, I had seen that u done it. Specialized told them that they were different shocks. When we got th Rp23 we put it next to the triad and hot dam their the same exact size it mounted without any problems at all. I dont know if it added any travel but I now have 140mm CTD Talas and a Rp23 CTD rear shock to match.
    Did you order a specialized specific rp23 or just a regular one?

mtbr member
    You have to order the specialized one. The regular one doesnt fit. You need that special cleavis to mount to the linkage.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You have to order the specialized one. The regular one doesnt fit. You need that special cleavis to mount to the linkage.
    What he said u have toget the one from Big S. Lynch thank you for doing all the RD to give us the info that it works bro one of the only things that made me not sell my bike. Now time to send in my damn 2013 CTD Talas for the new internals, the bike is ubber tho!
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Just checking the spec in the archive for both frames I have. The brain on the sworks is listed at 7.75x1.9" and the triad on the comp is 7.875x1.9" Will that have an effect on travel? Or is it only the second measurement like The rp23 from the evo is 7.75x2.0" and gives 5mm extra travel.

I know you guys said that the link is not needed for the 2011 but presuming it fits will it not do the same job as changing the shock itself?

mtbr member
    For 2011 the evo and non-evo links are identical. The 5mm extra was due to the slightly longer stroke of the RP23s shock.

putting a 7.875x1.9 shock will slightly raise the bottom bracket but it will not change the travel.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

For 2011 the evo and non-evo links are identical. The 5mm extra was due to the slightly longer stroke of the RP23s shock.

putting a 7.875x1.9 shock will slightly raise the bottom bracket but it will not change the travel.
    So if they ordered me an evo link is it likely to be a 2012 evo link given there is no difference between the evo and non evo 2011 models.

mtbr member
    you can order the link off the 2011 Evo but it will be identical to what you have. If they order a 2012 Evo link it wont fit your bike.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Ok so bike shop called and they confirmed evo link was simply 2011 which is the same as what I have as you confirmed but they have given me a new work around.

Our local fox distributor will have new 2014 stock in next 2 weeks and I can get first dibs at any shock I want from 2014 fox range and they will convert it to fit with matching specialized clevis to suit my existing link. Price range 6-900 so imagine I could get a kashima float x at the top price and non kashima float Ctd at low end.... Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    If you can afford it and are an aggressive rider go for the Float X! I'd love one on my bike!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

If you can afford it and are an aggressive rider go for the Float X! I'd love one on my bike!
    Do you think it will fit with the extra resevoir? Don't think it's over the top compared to an rp23?