mtbr member

2011 Swingarm Rebuild Help

Yesterday I decided do clean and lube my Epic and as a matter of course checked my swingarm bearings. Sure enough one of the main pivot bearings and rear chain stay dropout bearings were toast. A call to my LBS netted a complete bearing kit and went to work. The removal and instillation of the bearings went well, as did the reassembly. Then I got to thinking....did I install the conical washers (the washers that separate the swingarm from the bearings) in the correct direction? During reassembly I placed the large diameter of the washer against the bearing race thus placing the small diameter of the cone against the aluminum of the swingarm.

This morning I got to thinking that I may have this backward. Should the minimum diameter of the conical washer be placed against the inner race of the bearing? Since there would be no side load on the bearing installing it that way(?)

Yea I should have made a mental note when I disassembled, but I somehow missed this basic step. Guess I'm just getting old!

Thank for the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Generally the inner race of the bearing should be the only thing contacting any washer/spacer so it sounds like you will need to reverse the orientation from what you have now.

Go here and you can find a 2011 epic fsr manual that has an exploded view of all the parts: Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Thank for helping me confirm my suspicions. Definitely a 'Doh!' moment.