mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2011 Stumpy HT Make it a 2x?

Comp

How do I get rid of the 44 on the crank?

Is it as simple as un bolt it?

Then what about the Derailer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No one knows how to do this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You want to make it a 2x10? You'd need to do some revamping of the drivetrain. The spacing between chainrings is completely different so I don't believe it's as simple as removing one cog. You'd have to replace the crankset to a 2x10 set up, get a new front derailleur, a new 2x10 shifter, cogset and chain. I'm not a full-time mechanic but I'm thinking it may be a costly swap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

It's easier than that

If you want to go with a 2x specific setup, then yes, you will need a new crank, new shifter, and new derailleur. The rear would be just fine, as would the chain since it's already going to be a 10-speed to accomodate the cassette. That's a big overhaul, but would be a sweet setup in the end.

However, you can turn a triple into a 2x just by removing the big ring. You'll need to get new chainring bolts (shorter, since they'll only be squeezing the middle ring and the spider), or replace the big ring with a bash ring (utilizing the original bolts, since it will still be squeezing two rings and the spider). The only other thing to do is set your Hight Limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't even move past the middle setting. So you'll be riding a 3x crank with a 3x derailleur and 3x shifter, but limiting it to just the two lower shift positions. The derailleur won't be able to go to the outside positoin, and thus won't even allow you to pull the shifter that far.

You run the risk of throwing the chain to the outside without the big ring anymore, so a bash ring is a good option to prevent that. I've never actually done this conversion myself, but have talked to a couple of people who have, and they say it works. I think if you set up your limit screw properly, you might not need a bash ring, but don't quote me on that. It's just something to keep in mind.

That's all I know about that, so I hope it helps. Moreover, I hope it works for you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K.
    If you want to go with a 2x specific setup, then yes, you will need a new crank, new shifter, and new derailleur. The rear would be just fine, as would the chain since it's already going to be a 10-speed to accomodate the cassette. That's a big overhaul, but would be a sweet setup in the end.

However, you can turn a triple into a 2x just by removing the big ring. You'll need to get new chainring bolts (shorter, since they'll only be squeezing the middle ring and the spider), or replace the big ring with a bash ring (utilizing the original bolts, since it will still be squeezing two rings and the spider). The only other thing to do is set your Hight Limit screw on the front derailleur so that it won't even move past the middle setting. So you'll be riding a 3x crank with a 3x derailleur and 3x shifter, but limiting it to just the two lower shift positions. The derailleur won't be able to go to the outside positoin, and thus won't even allow you to pull the shifter that far.

You run the risk of throwing the chain to the outside without the big ring anymore, so a bash ring is a good option to prevent that. I've never actually done this conversion myself, but have talked to a couple of people who have, and they say it works. I think if you set up your limit screw properly, you might not need a bash ring, but don't quote me on that. It's just something to keep in mind.

That's all I know about that, so I hope it helps. Moreover, I hope it works for you!
    Sweet, just what I was looking for. I think I will run a bash ring as I tend to bottom out abit and it will save the chain and cog.

Thanks

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    You can buy sets of chainrings that come with a granny, middle, and bash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I thought of one other thing that might be worth mentioning. I don't personally have any experience with any 2x mountain cranksets, but I'm pretty sure the chainring spacing is unique as compared to a 3x crankset, both relative to the frame and to each other. If anyone knows more about this, please feel free to correct me. The chain line won't be as "perfect" in all combinations as they claim for 2x setups, because your two rings will be positioned more inboard relative to the cassette, and possibly - though I'm not positive - closer to each other. Am I making sense? The point is that all those awesome benefits that they mention concerning new 2x designs might not fully apply to your modified setup. Your chain might rub if you try a small-small gear combination, where I've read that good 2x cranks don't rub anywhere. Just a thought.

That really only applies if you're trying to mimic a 2x crank on a budget! If all you're looking to do is get rid of the big ring, then it doesn't matter. Good luck!