mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2011 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er frame - special fork needed??

Here's the deal...I just picked up my 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er frame in blue yesterday, and finished building it up this morning. I have a 2011 Fox Talas F29 RLC with the 15QR and tapered steerer, thinking it would be PERFECT for this frame. I got it built up and took it for a ride at my local singletrack this afternoon, and the steering was not right at all. I just looked at the website and saw that the fork that comes on the complete bike is a Reba built specially for Specialized with 45mm of offset. Did I completely screw up here by buying a Fox fork for this frame? I like a little bit steeper head tube angle, and the 120mm setting would have gave me a 70 degree angle, which is perfect for me. However, the steering is crazy, and it just doesn't feel right. Do I need a different fork? ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was thinking about buying the exact frame set and had the same question. Have you tried posting in the 29er forum too?

Hopefully someone chimes in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I actually did some research and found that the offset on the Reba is 45mm and the Fox is 44mm, so they are pretty much the same. I made some adjustments to my bar height and stem length, and that seemed to do the trick. Steers perfectly now.

On a different note, the brain rear shock has a glitch in the threshold adjuster knob. It turns infinitely in both directions now. It worked perfectly when I got it, and for the first ride, and there were 14 "clicks" from fully open to fully closed. I turned it seven clicks to set it halfway for a starting point, and played with it a lot on my first ride. On my second ride, I went to turn the knob fully open and 7 clicks in, but the knob just kept turning and turning. I tried turning it the other way (fully closed), and it just kept turning in that direction, too. No way to know where I'm at in the adjustment range, and it doesn't really feel like it's adjusting the threshold at all anymore. Called my LBS, who called Specialized, and they're sending a new shock "no questions asked". Makes me think that others are having the same problem, because the warranty guy wasn't surprised and didn't even ask for specifics. They are taking care of me, though, so I have no complaints.