mtbr member
    Nov 2010

2011 Stumpy FSR Brain Rebound Knob Frozen!!

I've got a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er with the rear brain shock. Blue/black frame only version. I was doing a bit of a road ride a few weeks ago with my roadie buddy and firmed up everything on the bike. Went riding this past weekend and went to soften eerything back up, I usually run 5 click out from full firm. Went to adjust the brain knob and it will not move!!

Is there any easy way to free this up or should I just not screw with it and risk more harm and send it back to my LBS. I recently moved to SW FL, and there aren't any good specialized moutnain bike dealers that I know of near me. All they sell are road bikes, the highest-end mountain bike they have is a hardrock. I may just send it back to my LBS in PA and know it will be done right and they not gouge me with the price. Do LBS do these repairs on site or are they all sent back to Spesh/Fox??

Thanks...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Got single track/speed?
    So, what happened?

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I've got a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er with the rear brain shock. Blue/black frame only version. I was doing a bit of a road ride a few weeks ago with my roadie buddy and firmed up everything on the bike. Went riding this past weekend and went to soften eerything back up, I usually run 5 click out from full firm. Went to adjust the brain knob and it will not move!!

Is there any easy way to free this up or should I just not screw with it and risk more harm and send it back to my LBS. I recently moved to SW FL, and there aren't any good specialized moutnain bike dealers that I know of near me. All they sell are road bikes, the highest-end mountain bike they have is a hardrock. I may just send it back to my LBS in PA and know it will be done right and they not gouge me with the price. Do LBS do these repairs on site or are they all sent back to Spesh/Fox??

Thanks...

There's always next year.
    Holy grave dig (ish)

Not the OP, but just to provide my experiences to help others who happen to get a frozen Brain adjuster knob (not rebound, to be technical). When my '13 Epic had this happen a month into ownership, the shop took care of everything in exactly a week (including shipping to Spec) Based on only this knowledge, my guess is either that Spec is wicked fast at rebuilds--and shipping super fast, or they're shipping out a replacement unit when contacted by an LBS with a faulty unit. I wasn't charged a dime for the process, but I was well under warranty.

Fairly confident the only people doing any sort of Brain work is Spec as well. I don't think any of their LBS can do repair work on them.