Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2011 Stumpy elite, Enduro expert

I know you all talked about this adnuasiem...

but I'm stuck between them both and can't decide.

The Stumpy climbs great...not as confident as the Enduro
    The Enduro climbs with effort...decndes great
    Stumpy is faster off the start but the Enduro is no slacker...

I ride rooty rocky technical terrain in Florida (alafia Santos etc park etc)
    nomajor downhills...

This will be my everyday rider for every type of terrain single track etc. I'm not taking any major drops 2ft at best.
    I'm just perplexed and can't decide...

and I have demoed them both on local terrain...

any suggestions would be helpfull since I have to put my order for the Stumpy Elite this week...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    asked that question at the LBS (epic vs. sj vs. enduro) about a week ago. I explained my typical use/desire (xc, trails, descents but not doing 4' drops or anything crazy) and we landed on the stumpy as the best all around for me. i was also going for a 29er - that limited me somewhat (epic vs. sj). Ordered the stumpy fsr expert.

mtbr member
    I would go with the Stumpy. The Enduro would be alot of bike for the riding you do. Plus you could save $1,200.
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Stumpy all the way. Seems like you're trying to buy into the Enduro 'lifestyle' whearas the stumpy would be far more suited to 95% riding you do...maybe more?

We were all riding 2 ft drops on 120mm not long ago....and still loving it

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have been riding 4inch travel Heckler since 98' and yes I have done some chair lift rides with it... I just wanted to get something more comfortable...
    The Tim Allen "home improvement " part of me wanted the Enduro...
    I believe I will be ordering my Stumpy this week!!

Thanks for the replies I just needed some commmon sense knocked back into me!!

2biker
    Feb 2008
    stumpy EVO?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I would love the Stumpy Evo...out of price range. The Enduro 2010 Expert is on closeout $2800 that was the tempting part.
    I think the Stumpy elite will do just fine..Evo would be nice

mtbr member
    Get a stumpy and slowly "EVO" it out.

I owned a 2010 Sutmpy and am going to order a 2011 Enduro next week. I currently have an 07 Enduro SL.

90% of my riding is on the Stumpy and only use the Enduro(new or old) for the more burly trails. I have hit 3 to 4 foot drop on the stumpy with no problem. The only time I really miss my Enduro is in the rock and root gardens.

If i was to have only one bike it would be a stumpy that I would then EVO out.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    @toytech64 I read in another post (enduro vs nomad) your neighbor is an engineer for Specialized? if he could only have one bike to ride it all...lived in Fl.(some mtn. bike vacations out of fl as well) which one would he buy? stumpy or enduro... ? still on the fence.

mtbr member
    The best thing is to try and ride both and make up your mind. Do you ride up only to blast the down - Enduro. Do you like fast flowly trails with a sprinkle of techinal here and there - Stumpy. I can go on and on, you have to chose. I would chose the Enduro right night, but I live in Santa cruz with lots of good techinal riding. If i did not have the mountains arounf me I would chose the stumpy.

PS my friend that works for specialized does not have to chose, he gets to demo what ever he likes
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank's toytech64. I have demoed both on local trails. I liked both very much...that's why it's hard to choose.
    I have met people out on the trails some have the stumpy and want the enduro and vise versa...the trail i do ride most of the time is technical with roots and rocks...the climbs are very rooty and rocky aswell.
    my current bike hurts my back...that's why I thought the Enduro's geo would be great.But the Stumpy felt good as well and definately climb better.
    The giant reign is in between the 2...but I think the stumpy to be a better bike.
    the locals bikes are a mixture of long travel bikes to the super light xc bikes. The person I ride with has a 6inch travel sanction 1.
    I will be doing to trips to NC and other states...it comes down to this since I can only have one...I need a swiss army knife sort of bike that can do everything..
    and yes I know I am the only that can make that choice for myself...just trying to get enough info to try to make a clear choice. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This thread definitely helped me decide. Stumpy it is. No time soon though, just bought a noob bike for a noob rider. 2010 Hardrock

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Pulled the trigger

Thank you all for your help... I just pulled the trigger on the Stumpy Elite!!!!

Hope I don't get buyres remorse and wish I had the Enduro

I think the Stumpy is the best mix...since I can only have one new bike the Stumpy seems to be the all arounder I was looking for !!!

it will probrably in at the end of Oct.

Thanks again

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Got to hate that buyers remorse. I am terrible at it, must be the engineer in me over analyzing everything. I went from an 06 epic to a 2010 enduro and love it, but do wonder sometimes how the stumpy would of gone. But like you i made my decision based on people who ride in my area and what the bike can do. Yes she is a little heavier on the way up but I always have a grin on my face during every ride, and stunned how much the bike challenges me to push my limits a little more on each ride. (the bike is a far better than the rider at present).

The stumpy elite is a fantastic bike and I'm sure you will not be disappointed once you get out and ride.

Now for the wait...................................

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi,
    I followed this discussion and I'm in the same situation. I'm currently riding a Epic Marathon 07 and I'm about to decide for a S-Works Enduro. I know its a little heavier but I do hope it makes more fun on the downhill and I'm really looking for an alternative to the Epic. I'll see I'll take my decision end of October.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    now I'm really sceound guesing my choice...seems like alot of people are going with the Enduro!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I used to live in the same area you do. Bradenton/Sarasota (Alafia, Santos rider) I rode everything out there on my FSR XC and that was plenty of bike. You will absolutely love the Stumpy for the riding that is available there. It's also a great "take anywhere" bike. I see MANY people out here riding Stumpies and they just love them. I would definitely consider one if I wasn't into the "major drops" and jumps thing.

I moved to WA for the snow and the AM/DH riding. I am currently on an '08 Epic that I have fully depreciated the value of by riding it beyond it's structural limits. Needless to say, I'm in line for an '11 Enduro.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by ojessie
    Hi,
    I followed this discussion and I'm in the same situation. I'm currently riding a Epic Marathon 07 and I'm about to decide for a S-Works Enduro. I know its a little heavier but I do hope it makes more fun on the downhill and I'm really looking for an alternative to the Epic. I'll see I'll take my decision end of October.
    Getting off the stumpy topic the enduro is a great bike. On my epic I always had the feeling of being pitched over the bars when things got steep, where the enduro yells back this is not steep you sissy, inspiring a lot of confidence, and meaning I ride places I would never of attempted on my epic. The longer wheel base means she is not as twitchy/nimble though corners and you will have to change your riding style a little to avoid drifting off line but this only takes a few rides. Switchbacks, singletrack, roots, rock gardens are all a breeze and I never come back feeling battered as the suspension soaks everything up. Pedal bob is not a problem if you are a seated climber, but as I have the solo air R lyric, I am going to add mission control damper so I can lock the forks out when on fire trails and smooth climbs. That way I can stand up and mash when i want a muscle group change like I did on my epic without bobbing up front.

The bike is chalk and cheese to the epic as you would expect and feels very different to ride. One is a racing machine, the other an all mountain weapon. My tracks are a mix of 50/50 up and down with rock gardens, single track, eroded fire roads etc and as much as I wonder what the stumpy would of been like with 140mm travel, the enduro with 160mm is a joy to ride. The ride to the top of the mountain can be a little harder depending on the terrain ( enduro is about 2.5kg heavier than my epic) but I am definitely rewarded with a super plush downhill run.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^ yeah but have you ever been to FL? The largest hill is the Skyway bridge. Lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I might just be jumping off that bridge.... still flip flopping on my decsion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have had my 2010 enduro comp for about a month. It is probably more bike than I need, but it is so much fun. On long non technical climbs I flip on the pro pedal. Descents are tons of fun and the bike eats up New England rock gardens and roots. No regrets, this bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 99% sure I'm picking up a 2010 Stumpy Comp on Saturday. Got a great price, and it'll be my first full suspension bike. I'm from AZ and want an all around good bike. With 5" of travel front and 5.5" (pretty sure) in the back, I knowit's not a XC bike, so I'm guessing it's considered all-mountain? I really want to do everything, with a bit of jumps and drops but not sure how extreme I'll get. So I'm guessing the Stumpy is going to be perfect for me...thoughts?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Depends on what you mean by "a bit of jumps and drops" The Enduro is more of an all mountain bike but for an all rounder I would certainly take the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Depends on what you mean by "a bit of jumps and drops" The Enduro is more of an all mountain bike but for an all rounder I would certainly take the Stumpy.
    Here's the thing...I know I'm going to be doing climbing and descending, but I'd like to have a bit of fun at the same time. I'd like something that's good at going up AND down, and if I see a chance to get some air, I want to be able to take it. Since I'm not sure what kind of "jumps and drops" I'm going to do, I think I want an all-around type of bike like the Stumpy FSR..that is until I decide I need more.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast