mtbr member

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread

Pic's, builds, opinions.....let her rip!

Just picked it up to get me by till the S-Works is available. Bought the whole bike since I couldn't get the frameset. Got it all stripped down to get weights.

Med frame w/collar, ebb, hs 1713gms 3.77lb

Not to far off my old med Niner One9. It was 3.54 with ebb and no hs.

I weighed all the parts so now got to decide what to switch out. Really looking forward to a shorter top tube
    "To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    Ok ill play the sun went away so the pics are kind of dull.This is my new race bike I have another bike as my primary ride.I cold have saved some money building this up from a frame but I got a great deal on the complete bike and sold most all the componants I took off plus I really love the finish.Only stock parts left are the wheel set,headset & frame .
    Build specs
    17.5 frame
    Dt swiss full carbon fork
    stock wheel set
    salsa carbon bars
    nashbar carbon stem
    s-works carbon post
    carbon Noir cranks
    Homebrewed componants cog & chainring
    slr saddle
    woodman ti seat clamp
    bonty293 2.0 rear tire
    Nano front
    Hayes stroker carbon brakes
    alligator rotors 180 front 160 rear

Total weight 19.1lbs with pedals
    I really like the way this bike rides its stupid fast & light but I still built it up durable
    and pretty strong .The M5 frame has a very nice ride feel to it and the ebb has been noise free and a snap to adjust .
    I really need to thank CROSSFIT INC.For Funding the entire build & supporting me last season & really stepping up this season .Now if the stupid snow would go away it would be great.

mtbr member
    Oops heres pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dscf0121sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dscf0122sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dscf0123sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dscf0125sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=fixgeardan]Ok ill play the sun went away so the pics are kind of dull.This is my new race bike I have another bike as my primary ride.I cold have saved some money building this up from a frame but I got a great deal on the complete bike and sold most all the componants I took off plus I really love the finish.Only stock parts left are the wheel set,headset & frame .
    Build specs
    17.5 frame
    Dt swiss full carbon fork
    stock wheel set
    salsa carbon bars
    nashbar carbon stem
    s-works carbon post
    carbon Noir cranks
    Homebrewed componants cog & chainring
    slr saddle
    woodman ti seat clamp
    bonty293 2.0 rear tire
    Nano front
    Hayes stroker carbon brakes
    alligator rotors 180 front 160 rear

Wow, that's nice !!!
    My XXL is mainly stock, except for bars and tires.
    Did you ride it stock ? If so, do you miss the front shock or is carbon fork/tire combo providing enough "suspension"
    Which size/type cog and chain ring ?
    Sure wish I had your brake set up and not the stock noise-makers

mtbr member
    Thanks .noI didnt ride it stock but I almost always rides rigid for like the last 12 years so Im used to it.Although I kind of wish I would have tried the Fox fork before I sold it.The cog & chainring
    were made by Home Brewed Componants there 32x18 which puts the chainstays at 16 3/4 .I may have to run a 19 cog on some courses.The brakes only got changed because iof the NOISE
    I just could not stand it as much as I like the Avids the noise sucked.These weigh about the same andfeel just as good I run Hayes on my iother bike as well.im really looking forward to next spring & race season .This bike is just so fast! Some Enve carbon rims would be nice
    but that is not in the race budget.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool, gonna try HB's next, got a Surly 18t cog and generic 34 chain ring for now.
    Did you get 450 or 520 rims ? Mine came with 450's, thought the website said 520's. I am wanting to go tubeless as well, but had heard the 450's may be harder to set up.....any problem with yours ?
    I'm not racing, though I love going fast on this bike...what do you think about a larger 2.2 tire on the rear ? I've got a lot of roots and could use the extra cushion.
    I'm trying an Ardent 2.4 up front and it's really improved the grip in corners on our slowish trail.

mtbr member
    Ya mine came with 450 rims ,I just retaped the rim with stans yellow tape and th included valves.
    they set up very nice almost as good as stans rims.These frames have good tire clearance a 2.2 should fit fine.On me other bike that gets most of my mileage I run 2.3 's front & rear its a SS also just a lot beefier.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    Ya mine came with 450 rims ,I just retaped the rim with stans yellow tape and th included valves.
    they set up very nice almost as good as stans rims.These frames have good tire clearance a 2.2 should fit fine.On me other bike that gets most of my mileage I run 2.3 's front & rear its a SS also just a lot beefier.
    I noticed the rims came with the blue tape, so you recommend replacing it with Stans yellow and using Stans sealant or no sealant required ?
    I'm a tubeless newbie and what I've learned, I've read on the forum.
    It seems that some tires work well even without sealant and can be inflated by footpump.

Thanks !

mtbr member
    I tried there blue tape first but it lifted off the rim &started leaking so I went with stans and no problems.I always run sealant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The blue tape works fine. Same stuff, different color. Definitely run sealant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    Oops heres pics.
    Holy SS!! That's one sexy bike.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo

Holy SS!! That's one sexy bike.
    Thanks Im going to try & get some better pics this weekend .

mtbr member
    Almost finished 20.54 with pedals. Used the stock 17.5 frame, fork, headset and post. Then my own parts pick.
    Stans race wheels
    Fast Trak LK 2bliss
    Hayes Gram brakes
    Noir bars
    Noir cranks
    Frog pedals
    Phenom saddle
    RXL stem

This should get me by till the S-Works frame & fork is available. I could probably put it on a diet but saving the cash for the S-Works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dsc03152sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dsc03153sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dsc03154sm.jpg  

2011 Stumpjumper SS thread-dsc03155sm.jpg  

"To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    BUMP
    Anyone have more pics? :-D I'm hoping to pick one of these up next week.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @arron...FYI...size small looks nothing like the above. I thought it was a mistake when i recieved mine and called Spesh. They said "yeah, size small looks different" I'll post mine when i get home from work

mtbr member
    Yeah I've seen some smalls where the top tube almost bows the other way? I need a 19 though lol
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

no surly, no life.

Yes!

My frame arrived at LBS last week.
    I can't wait!!
    I'll make sure I post photos when it's completed

Mountain View Motel@Taupo New Zealand

mtbr member
    They tell me I will be on the new S-Works by next week. Glad I found this Forum. It was a heck of a process choosing the Frame. No one here in my local gang rides Specialized SS. Most are on the Kona. Oregon. Hope to send up some photos next week. Alas I will be heading to Bend for the Weekend, on my trusty Bike that I will be taking some parts off.
    Last edited by Bobcanride; 06-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I'll post a pic later.
    > Mine's stock except I swapped the renegade for an s-works captain in back because every race has been muddy this spring and I needed the extra traction. Have tires tubeless with Stans with only 1 burp so far after an awkward launch.
    > Also put 34t chainring up front and have 18, 20, and 22t cogs depending on how much climbing on each race.
    > I considered going rigid as that's what I raced on before, but (ironically) I'm running the Fox with a bit more sag than recommended and I'm loving it. I use the lockout a lot and it gives probably about a 1/4 an inch, which is great for smooth-to-mildly techy uphills.
    > I've been having a problem with the seatpost slowly sliding down as I ride (I'm 185lbs). Replaced the bolt clamp with a QR clamp and have cranked it up pretty good (hopefully not too much). It's better, but still slips a tiny bit though. I had to stop once during my last race to adjust the seatpost. Haven't figured that out yet. Ideas?
    > Phenom saddle is great for trails and sucky for road (I ride to trails often), which is kinda funny.
    > Overall, it's taken a little while to get used to it, but I'm really getting to love it and feel like I'm getting faster every week.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team