mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2011 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon Impressions

Due to a warranty replacement I am moving from a 2008 Pro Carbon Stumpy to a 2011 Pro Carbon Stumpy.

Does anyone have any input on the newer 140 mm model? I race about 6-8 xc races per year and the 120 mm travel seemed fine for me but I am concerned the 140 may be a little overkill.

mtbr member
    Sawdaddy,

I've somewhat in the same boat here in that I am coming from an Enduro Expert '04 (TALAS 80-125mm) to either a Stumpy FSR Elite (Fox 140mm) or a FSR Export (Fox 110-140mm). On Spechs website, the '11 SJ Pro has an adjustable fork between 115-140mm. I test rode the 140mm SJ Elite this past weekend and it was an amazing ride. I felt like I was floating over decent sized rocks and launching over log stacks (East Coast riding kind of stuff). However, in the smaller baby heads and medium sized rocks, the 140mm seemed a little overkill. If I had an adjustable fork with a lower setting, it might have helped with more control over the rocks. Granted, if I had more time to tweak the rebound on the 140mm fork, things might have been different.
    Nothing but style!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have one and stock weight is 25 pounds. The bike just rips, earlier I had a SJ 29er HT and this bike feels faster through almost everything. I have spent the most time on this bike on neighborhood MTB trails (Castle Rock) and it is really quick and nimble. 2 weeks ago, we went to Dakota Ridge (gnarly rock gardens) and the bike was awesome! Most of my friends in Ohio ride this 140mm platform SJ and love it. I wouldn't be worried so much about the travel of the bike but the motor on top...

Members who have read this thread: 0