mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp/Avid Elixir brakeset

I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp and have generally been happy with it. Two things have seemed to be a continuous problem and wanted to get feedback/comments.

1. Very minor but aggravating ... The small cap on the gate adjustment on the front fork is not made to stay on the bike if you actually ride hard. It continually falls off. I have gone through three of them.

2. The Avid Elixir R SL brakeset ... The front brakes developed a terrible sound when braking. My LBS looked at it and thought it was the composite brake pads. They mentioned the composite pads are absorbent and can pick up different contaminants from riding or washing the bike. Replaced the front pads with metal pads and the problem is gone. In my latest ride, I can't help but notice the difference in feel between the pads (metal on front, composite on back). Probably going to replace the rears to metal as well.

Thoughts on the Avid Elixir brakeset?

Thoughts on composite brake pads?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Your LBS is probably right. As a general rule, organic pads give good feed/modulation but suck in the wet. Metallic pads are more consistent, but higher wearing.