Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    oh wait, wanted to mention the, "how well the rear shock design and linkage match the bike"..... A standard Monarch, or Monarch rt3 matches your ride perfectly. Lightweight xc shock... just a LOT better than the triad.. Would TRANSFORM your bike... for real.
    Nothing to it, but to do it......

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by captncolorado
    dude, you're a trip. hell bent on convincing you made the right choice.. lol. if it's right for you then it's right for you. I wasn't comparing the two shocks head to head per-say... more saying that a better shock makes it a totally different bike.. I know the better shock is a better shock. And, IMO... if you're doing 4' drops to flat, you should have bought a bike with more suspension to it period. Whether it were a stumpy or an epic.... but, like you again said... sharing my opinion. Done with this now.. gonna go ride.
    It's all good, not trying to convince anyone to agree w/ what bike seemed like it worked better for me or tell anyone what bike would work better for them. Partly felt the need to defend the honor of a bike I've had nothing but positive experiences w/ so far when some one calls it crap or a joke and partly just wanted to waste some time talking about bikes while it pours rain for the 3rd day in a row

Hope you had a good ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love my camber as well, perfect for what I need/want/ride on.

Stumpy was way to squishy for me...

Triad, so far so good, like a hardtail on LO, nice compromise in PP, and pretty plush in open...

I'm content, I know I made the right choice...

Some pics from today...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would like to appogoize to all of the Camber owners here for my previous post. I just encountered a total jackass talking about my stumpy, though he owns one and it pissed me off. So sorry if I did the same here.

Is it Friday yet?
    I would like to appogoize to all of the Camber owners here for my previous post. I just encountered a total jackass talking about my stumpy, though he owns one and it pissed me off. So sorry if I did the same here.
    Wish I'd have caught your rants earlier. Maybe we could have gotten them into the Sheen vs. khadifi quote game and made it a choice between 3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides
    Wish I'd have caught your rants earlier. Maybe we could have gotten them into the Sheen vs. khadifi quote game and made it a choice between 3.

Did you not understand the apology, or are you just trying to be an ass?

Is it Friday yet?
    Did you not understand the apology, or are you just trying to be an ass?
    Lol. No, I just really enjoyed the nonsensical rants followed by your "i'm sorry I spit in your face. It was really fun, but somebody just did it to me, and it kinda sucked"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lol. No, I just really enjoyed the nonsensical rants followed by your "i'm sorry I spit in your face. It was really fun, but somebody just did it to me, and it kinda sucked"
    Good one, bro!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

No good

You know what, Fu($ you both. At least I realized I was being wrong and and posted an apology unlike pri(/$ like you that can't let **** go. Way to be cool...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Took delivery of my Camber Comp last night - I know it's the basic version of the Camber, but I couldn't justify spending any more as I'm starting to get back into biking after several years out.

Quick question: Does anyone else have a creaky/squeaky rear Ario shock?

My rear shock seems to be creaking & squeaking - Almost sounds like it's coming from the frame, but if I had to put money on it I'd say it's probably coming from the rear shock.

Is the above normal for a new bike?

Thanks

Is it Friday yet?
    Mine did not squeak. Hope you get it fixed quickly!

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Theshabster
    Took delivery of my Camber Comp last night - I know it's the basic version of the Camber, but I couldn't justify spending any more as I'm starting to get back into biking after several years out.

Quick question: Does anyone else have a creaky/squeaky rear Ario shock?

My rear shock seems to be creaking & squeaking - Almost sounds like it's coming from the frame, but if I had to put money on it I'd say it's probably coming from the rear shock.

Is the above normal for a new bike?

Thanks
    Congrats on the new Camber. Its a nice bike for the money.

Although the squeek could be from the shock, its likely coming from somewhere else. One place could be seat or seat post. Remove the seat post and make sure the post has some lube/grease on it. Put it back in and make sure the seatpost QR calmp is tight. Then check where the seat mounts to the seat post. Try a little grease on the seat post rails and then make sure the seat is tight on the seatpost. (hint: mark the hight of seat post insertion and where the post mounts to the seat before removal).

If this does not fix it, it could be the pivot mounts on the shock (or any of the pivot bearings in the rear triangle) are not lubed properly or are defective. I would have the LBS check this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    can you guys give me some input as to how you have decided to go with either the 29er or 26?? I think I have narrowed my bike search down to the camber pro but unsure between wheel size???

I personally ride mostly singletrack XC with short steep ups and downs including sections of roots/rocks with some 1-3 foot mostly smooth transition drops. I also do a few races per year.

I would love to hear your thoughts/opinons as to what you think about your decision and/or recommendations for my type of riding beyond "go out and test ride" - Thank you!
    Last edited by goaheadjump; 03-17-2011 at 10:04 AM.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by goaheadjump
    can you guys give me some input as to how you have decicided to go with either the 29er or 26?? I think I have narrowed my bike search down to the camber pro but unsure between wheel size???

I personally ride mostly singletrack XC with short steep ups and downs including sections of roots/rocks with some 1-3 foot mostly smooth transition drops. I also do a few races per year.

I would love to hear your thoughts/opinons as to what you think about your decision and/or recommendations for my type of riding beyond "go out and test ride" - Thank you!
    I bought the Camber Elite 29er back in August. I chose the 29er as it was a better fit to my riding style and my typical terrain of New England singletrack. Some is smooth and flowey, others are laden with root and rock gardens. I find the 29er to be ideal in these situations. I do find some situations where a 26er would be better such as tight and twisty trails or trails with a lot of rock wall crossings. Coming from a 26 inch bike, I do think the 29er is great for climbs, both short and steep or 1-2 mile fire road climbs due to the longer (or perceived longer) wheelbase.

I liked the Camber because I think you get a lot for the price. I looked at the Epic, but I donít race. I looked at the Stumpy, but it had a lot of extra squish that I did not need and did not want to pay for. The geo of the Camber falls somewhere in between, and in my opinion is the quintessential trail bike.

I think the choice between 26 and 29 is not just about terrain but about riding style. If you like to stop and play with trail features, do some light hucking, the 26 is more agile. If you like to lay down miles of singletrack and monster truck some root and rockgardens along the way, I think the 29er has an advantage. Both set ups are adequate in all conditions, I just felt the 29er fit my style a bit more, and I have not been disappointed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    BigRuckus! this is exactly what I need to hear ...... I am also in NE and ride the same type of trails. Some days open, fast and flowing and others tight, twisty with lots of rocks and roots - some days both. Some days we play around with features and drops (avg 1-3 ft, nothing over 4') and I guess that is my delema.

I just don't want two bikes - epic to racey for most days and stumpy to AM for most days......

what made others choose 26 or 29??
    Last edited by goaheadjump; 03-17-2011 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    26. I like to jump off stuff rather than roll through it like a road bike. I did the whole 29er thing. I liked it alot but when the dust settled I like the way a 26 handles everything. If my riding changes over time I may go back to 29. For now I'm keeping the 26. I can whip it around better and I don't have any problem on roots and rocks. Pop the front end and let er fly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Medium 29er Camber frame - what does it wiegh?

thx

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    Medium 29er Camber frame - what does it wiegh?

thx
    In addition to this, does anyone know if all Camber frames weigh the same amount (obviously 26 and 29 are diffwrent, but does the frame of a 26 inch comp weigh the same as the frame of a 26 inch pro?)

Unfortunately I'm asking this because I drove my comp into the roof Now i have to decide if I should invest in many new and expensive parts, or if I should sell off the frame and buy a new bike...
    Last edited by kwrides; 03-19-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Unfortunately I'm asking this because I drove my comp into the roof Now i have to decide if I should invest in many new and expensive parts, or if I should sell off the frame and buy a new bike...
    Ack! Misadventures w/ a roof rack?

Not sure on the specific frame weights, but I believe the different trim levels of the same size frame should weigh the same within usual manufacturing tolerances.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    my camber elite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Specialized Camber, 29er info-dsc00541.jpg  

2011 Specialized Camber, 29er info-dsc00544.jpg  

2011 Specialized Camber, 29er info-dsc00545.jpg  

mtbr member
    In addition to this, does anyone know if all Camber frames weigh the same amount .
    Yes, all camber frames in a given size, comp, pro, etc, will weigh the same.

Hard to say without listing the parts that got mangled. Selling the frame will almost certainly be the most expensive option. The depreciation is sunk cost, and Camber doesn't have a "premium" vibe that will let you recapture as much as, say an Epic or even a Stumpy. Plus, though I don't know the weight of the frame, the Elite comes in around 29lbs with a modest component package. So the frame is probably as light as you will find in this price range.

I would say build it back up using used parts. If your fork and rims are both hosed, you might be better off buying a used complete bike for parts. A 2-3 yr old motobecane, jamis etc would be ideal, something with a decent component package. I picked up a used Blur LT on a whim, recently, b/c I know I could sell it for same price as I got it. As much as I want to love it, I'm not digging the way it rides as much as my Camber. I'll give it some more time, but if I don't change my mind, my Camber will soon be inheriting a Talas, RP23, Hope brakes, XTR kit, etc. Will be interesting to see how much I will get for a Blur with Recon, Ario, Alivio brakes, etc. :-) .

But really would need a list of broken parts to give an informed response.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by bob0206
    my camber elite
    Great pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob0206
    my camber elite
    Sweet. Love the wheels. What are the rims and hubs.

Not digging the gold cranks (not that you asked ). Were those to match the gold stanchions, or from another ride?

Is it Friday yet?
    Thanks everyone. So far it's the fork, brakes, levers, saddle, and possibly front wheel.

I like the idea of buying a used bike or a motobecane or something rather than buy all new individual parts.

I also wonder if selling the frame and shock, plus components used and then just starting over is the better idea

mtbr member
    i also got my elite just a week ago. i think its a very good bike, just that the crank or bb is one of the cheapest part on it and its now producing some "tick" sound when going even just a bit uphill. do you think its one of the components i should replace first or just do a maintenance from the dealer?

will post the pictures later...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast