aL1
    mtbr member

2011 Rockhopper Comp

I'm selling my hardrock sport disc, and looking to get a 2011 rockhopper or 2011 rockhopper comp-

Any opinions on the comps' Tektro Draco Hydraulic Disc brakes?

Also, my hardrocks' mechanical disc brakes are more-or-less maintenance-free, what maintenance is required for hydraulics??

Thanks-
    Last edited by aL1; 10-24-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    my draco brakes fades in the downhill, i was not satisfied with them so im changing to formula rx.

maintenance, they have to be bleed time to time

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Why the new bike? I'd go Stumpy if you want a worthwhile upgrade after already having a Hardrock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i agree^^ i dont think the rockhopper is going to be a smart upgrade, the hardrock is very close to it , i would go stumpy to if upgrading

aL1
    mtbr member
    The Rockhopper (base model) is almost the exact same as my Hardrock, except for a better frame...which is what I think I'll get-

Actually, I'm mostly buying for size, this could be my last opportunity for a new bike anytime soon; my Hardrock is a 17, and I'm more like a 15/15.5-
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    I agree as well...I have a Hardrock and when I look at the Rockhopper...its pretty much the same bike with better components, (although I pretty much have almost updated enough components at this point to be beyond the Rockhopper). Anyway..I would move to the Stumpjumper or the Camber...Just my humble opinion (thats pretty much what I am going to do next year)

good luck
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

aL1
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aL1
    The Rockhopper (base model) is almost the exact same as my Hardrock, except for a better frame...which is what I think I'll get-

Actually, I'm mostly buying for size, this could be my last opportunity for a new bike anytime soon; my Hardrock is a 17, and I'm more like a 15/15.5-
    If your bike doesn't fit you, definately get a new bike that does.

If thats the case, and your choosing between a new Hardrock frame and a new Rockhopper frame, get the Rockhopper - the differences are minor, but it IS a lighter frame.

A bike that doesn't fit would be annoying as hell no matter what components.

aL1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    If your bike doesn't fit you, definately get a new bike that does.

If thats the case, and your choosing between a new Hardrock frame and a new Rockhopper frame, get the Rockhopper - the differences are minor, but it IS a lighter frame.
    I'd definitely go for the Rockhopper...my understanding is that not only is the Rockhopper frame lighter, but stronger too-

A bike that doesn't fit would be annoying as hell no matter what components.
    Most definitely!
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I don't think the Rockhopper Frame is any stronger, infact, the Hardrock is pretty well known for having a bulletproof frame. There's actually a current thread in the forum with a cracked RH frame that Spec replaced with a SJ frame. Don't think I've ever seen a HR frame cracked on the forums to be honest... and you can bet they're more of them out there just due to the pricepoints.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think the brakes could be better. I'm not happy with it so I'm going to try the Hygia Usagi. Heard great thing about it, light and awesome price. But The bike is great.