mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2011 Pitch Pro vs Stumpjumper FSR

Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma of which bike to buy. I like to do trail riding. I've ridden a hardtail for the past couple of years so I think I like to do more just straight trail riding, but I think it would be fun to rail some downhills which I just haven't been able to do on my hardtail. I ride both very rocky trails and some smoother singletrack w/ logs, roots etc at different places. Anyway its between stumpjumper fsr comp vs the pitch pro. It's difficult to decide since they only have a 10mm travel difference.

I've ridden an enduro sl and enjoyed it (which I understand is pretty close to the pitch, same fsr suspension w/ that linkage), and rode the SJ around the parking lot and it seemed like a much faster bike, but much less durable than the enduro (i wouldn't want to take the sj off drops). Unfortunately, I can't test ride the pitch because it has to be special ordered. Opinions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Depends what you will be doing with the bike, I own a pitch pro and it's hard work going up the hills at cannock chase well pretty much any decent hill, but going down is amazing once you learn how to turn and move your weight around the bike well, Once you get the suspension dial in for your weight it's a bit easier going up with pro pedal on, but if your just doing flat trails, bit of road riding in between the different woods your riding going over small rocks, small tree roots going down some hills, small jumps, big climbs. I would buy the SJ it's a lighter bike, if your riding with others on hard tails you will find it hard work keeping up with your friends on a pitch, on the other hand if you want if for just doing light downhill stuff slightly bigger jumps and stuff and the occasional climb only then I would say buy a pitch pro. Also I would not drop a pitch pro off big drops unless you have been riding for years and know what your doing you'll break it. You'll need a full downhill bike for that which is even heavier?

Any one else have an opinion?

Hope this helps you!
    Take Care
    Chris
    Last edited by chris_mt; 10-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have the 09 pitch pro and i love it.climbs well goes down hill great too.its a very good all around bike i ride mostly xc but i have been up the mountain with it and it works great.if your only going to have one bike i would go with the pitch.the sj is better for trails but thats all.i want to get a 160mm fork but other than that its great

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah. I actually decided to order the pitch pro. I got it in on Wednesday, the 2011 in green. I'm really glad about my decision (although I might have wanted it in brown? the green is still awesome). It climbs really well, especially with pro pedal. I've been on less-travel bikes that climb like crap compared to this bike. Wish I could lower the fork but I don't care too much right now. The fork is decently stiff - not as stiff as the e150 I had, but it is plenty stiff for the riding I do.

The SJ was ligher, but it didn't feel as tough as the pitch. The pitch just feels good, the geometry is right, and it flies up and down hill, and have done some decent drops with it. It is definitely not too much bike for me. I feel like I would be able to mostly keep up with myself on my hardtail. So far so good! Except I am changing the shifters to x9, and want to upgrade/change the white grips and seat to something else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i got the x9 work really good also got some fsa gravity bars and using my buddies 50mm rave face stem the stem realy changes the bike good for down hill

mtbr member
    Kjbbb- Any chance you can shoot a few pics of the new ride? I am ordering mine soon, and anxious to see a photo of the green other than the stock Spec photo. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h
    Kjbbb- Any chance you can shoot a few pics of the new ride? I am ordering mine soon, and anxious to see a photo of the green other than the stock Spec photo. Thanks!
    Sure. I like it but would have been happy with the brown as well. I will be sure to post pics once I have my camera cable back Sunday night (olympus proprietary junk)... There is a pic of the 2011 green in the pitch photo thread also

mtbr member
    May 2009
    great choice, I'm sure lots of folks end up only wanting a XC/play bike but the Pitch is hard to beat if you want few limitation yet have a bike that yet will get you up the hill with only a small penality vs XC bikes.
    I think the Pitch is about the lightest duty bike you can find easily that will give you a lot of the feel and confidence a FR or even DH bike gives. Every time I ride something different I always notice how great my Pitch feels on return to it and that includes riding a Norco A-line at Whistler.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm glad you brought the pitch pro and that you like it, all that matters is that your pleased with the bike and the way it handles and if your happy with the way it climbs then great, I've not rode many full suspension bikes so I had nothing to compare it to apart from a hard-tail, I guess from your comments about other bikes you have owned climbing rubbish this bikes a winner for us all, take care and happy riding.

Chris M