Mulleticious

2011 FSR Stumpy Pro Carbon frame replacement

Bad news turned into good when Spesh agreed to replace my 2008 Pro Carbon FSR Stumpjumper frame with a new one following stress damage around the main pivot area.

So I now have the 2011 pro carbon FSR stumpjumper frame and rear suspension (140mm travel) matched to all my original 2008 equivalent kit - with fork travel of 120mm.

The old brown-coloured Specialized Futureshock fork doesn't match the new white frame but I can live with that. Just wish I had the extra 20mm travel now at the front as well.

Any comments on this combination - how it should ride etc? Ideas for further upgrades?

Photos attached:

2011 FSR Stumpy Pro Carbon frame replacement-105_0474_640x480.jpg

Name:  105_0475_360x480.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  154.5 KB

2011 FSR Stumpy Pro Carbon frame replacement-105_0476_640x480.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Spencer, your pics confirm my apprehensions!!! Installing a 120 mm fork (SJ 2008), on a 140 mm travel bike (SJ 2011) !! It’s almost like dropping the head tube by 20 mm on an 2011 !!! Also, according to my calculation, this would change the head tube angle by more then a degree !! It doesn’t seem like much, but take a look at the difference between a 2011 SJ and Epic:

SJ 11 Epic 11
    Size M M

Top Tube Length (Actual) 555mm 560mm
    Chainstay Length 420mm 425mm

Bottom Bracket Height -
    Low Setting 335mm 331mm
    Seat Tube Angle (Actual) -
    Low Setting 70.5° 71.5°

Seat Tube Angle (Effective) -
    Low Setting 74.5° 74°
    Head Tube Angle -
    Low Setting 68.5° 70°

Wheel Base 1116mm 1096mm
    Standover Height 743mm 765mm

Head Tube Height 138mm 135mm
    Handlebar Width 660mm 660mm
    Stem Length 75mm 90mm

So dropping the head tube height would bring the SJ 2011 at approximately 120 mm ... some 15 mm LOWER then an Epic !!!! The head angle would be approximately 70 degree, thus equal to an Epic !! This would also affect the wheel base, and probably other details (standover height, bb height, etc). I don’t know about you, but when I decided to get a Stumpy, I wanted all XC/trail bike ... not a pure XC !!! Now, if I have to transfer my existing fork on a 2011 SJ, I will end up with a more XC oriented bike then an Epic ?? I already pointed up to my LBS that, if I need to buy a new 140 mm fork, I won’t be a very happy customer. The good news is ... my LBS was telling me that Spesch-Canada seemed to be "opened" to supply a new fork. I'll keep you posted.

Mulleticious
    I was thinking that the 2011 SJ Pro FSR comes with an adjustable fork - the new Futureshock - which is set at either 140mm or 115mm travel. So when set at 115mm it is 5mm shorter than my fork, which would be a tighter head angle than my set up now. So my set up is probably not as bad as it seems . I've been for a ride and it seems OK, but haven't done any all mountain stuff yet.

Now I'm worried that I need to change my fork - but Spesh UK were not going to entertain that thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1
    I was thinking that the 2011 SJ Pro FSR comes with an adjustable fork - the new Futureshock - which is set at either 140mm or 115mm travel. So when set at 115mm it is 5mm shorter than my fork, which would be a tighter head angle than my set up now. So my set up is probably not as bad as it seems . I've been for a ride and it seems OK, but haven't done any all mountain stuff yet.

Now I'm worried that I need to change my fork - but Spesh UK were not going to entertain that thought.
    Yes but I don't think anyone is using that 115mm setting while descending, your using 5mm more than that for everything.

I think what whtdel is trying to tell you is you can probably get a 140mm fork out of specialized

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a lightly used 2011 140mm Futureshock that I am willing to sell. PM me if interested.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by rileymeister
    I have a lightly used 2011 140mm Futureshock that I am willing to sell. PM me if interested.
    Thanks - and I would be interested, but you're in Ohio and I'm in the UK.

Will call Specialized and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah ... at first, Spesh were telling me the same stuff (adjustable fork) ... but my argument was that nobody would leave their fork on 115 mm while descending !!!! Plus, I also heard that some people were reporting that, while pedaling on flat ground with their fork set at a lower height, they experienced some kind of a resistance (drag) phenomenon. Mountain Bike Action (sorry don't remember the vol.), interviewed Dave Weigle on that matter. But then, I might also be too picky.

Mulleticious

What forks will fit?

So if I was to replace the fork with a longer travel fork - will any 140mm travel Fox or Rockshox fork fit in this new 2011 SJ headtube, with the headset that's in there already?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a 2010 elite with the talas fork. there is definitely a dragging feeling when the fork is set in 100 and 120mm. I noticed it right away, then started reading about it everywhere. It's usually easier to climb in the 140mm setting and lean forward then muscle up in the 100mm setting.
    I'm pretty sure you'll need a tapered steertube fork. at least the aluminum stumpys do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1
    So if I was to replace the fork with a longer travel fork - will any 140mm travel Fox or Rockshox fork fit in this new 2011 SJ headtube, with the headset that's in there already?
    It should be straightforward to replace the fork with a non Specialized one, either with a 1.5" tapered steerer or standard 1 1/8" steerer. The part numbers you need to order for a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR carbon are here:

http://service.specialized.com/colla...lity-Guide.pdf

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    It should be straightforward to replace the fork with a non Specialized one, either with a 1.5" tapered steerer or standard 1 1/8" steerer. The part numbers you need to order for a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR carbon are here:

http://service.specialized.com/colla...lity-Guide.pdf
    Thanks WR304.

This is good info. So if I go for an aftermarket 140mm fork, the logic is as follows:
    2011 FSR SJ is a high bearing position
    2009 120 Futureshock is a high bearing position
    I will require parts I (1.5" adapter) and M (1.5" crown race) to fit a new tapered fork.

Mulleticious

update

Just took the bike through its paces, albeit only on a cross-country trail type route - not on any serious downhill-ish stuff.

My first impressions are that this is a great bike - I'm not seeing any material downside of the 120mm fork on the 140mm travel frame. Compared to the 2008/9 pro carbon, it feels less twitchy and more stable around turns. Slightly more aggressive on descents, but around here that's fine. Very happy with the warranty replacement so far

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Another satisfied customer !! It was a long wait, but totally worth it !! Thank you Spesch !! In the process, I did a few upgrades !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 FSR Stumpy Pro Carbon frame replacement-img00061-20110418-1325-3.jpg