mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2011 epic vs stumpjumper fsr expert carbon

need help choosing. I ride in santa barbara where there are sick climbs and then long downhills. I am riding an old hard tail stumpy now. I am worried that with the epic i am going to end up wanting more travel to bomb down hill. With the stumpy I am worried about climbing 3 thousand vert feet.

Does anyone have a good idea of how the stumpy climbs with brain (that is the direction I am currently leaning).

Thanks

mtbr dismember

I'm no expert ...

Quote Originally Posted by GRC818
    Does anyone have a good idea of how the stumpy climbs with brain (that is the direction I am currently leaning).
    I'm no expert but I went from an Epic with brain to Stumpy with brain several years ago and I am glad I made the switch. I often climb more than 3k. The brain really works. I've got a 29er Stumpy with brain coming in this week.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    The Stumpy climbs great. I have had my '10 Expert for almost 4 months now and am sold on the Brain. It may take a while to get it dialed in for your particular needs but, after lots of hard climbs in the Rockies and the B.C. Interior, I'm totally convinced.

mtbr member
    Lot's of climbing here in New Mexico.

I've had the '10 FSR Expert for a little over 5 months now and couldn't be happier with the way it climbs. The brain is very adjustable (14 clicks from full brain to no brain).

It climbs like a mountain goat, and that 140mm of travel, front and rear, just shreds like a mofo on the descents!