Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 Epic rear brain question

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BiknBob 
#1 ·
This doesn't sound good,sorry. And yes,you may end up damaging shock or frame.

#2 ·
After my 4th ride on my Epic, I've noticed that the rear shock is being pushed all the way as far as travel is concerned. The o-ring is being pushed almost off the piston. Will this damage the Fox shock at all? I've pumped it to what Specialized says is appropriate for my body weight but I'm afraid to go too high. Does anyone know what the max psi is for the rear shock on a 2011 Epic Comp Carbon 29er?

#5 ·
My 2010 Epic 29er did this. I rode it for a year and it was ok. I have had a 2011 Epic 29er for two months now and it also pushes the o-ring off the shock at 250psi (I'm 225lbs.). I did break the rear shock eye last year (Spec had a warranty shock delivered to my shop in one week flat), but I was doing 1-4ft jumps on the bike which Spec said it was not designed for. I've dialed back to no intentional jumping, just occasional air off trail bumps, which Spec said was within design parameters, and no problems.

#7 ·
xmangox said:
Wow interesting. I'm wondering what the max you can pump into it is. It never pushed the o-ring off but it still had like a few mm's to go.
How much do you wiegh and what PSI are you currently running in the shock? I always run mine 10PSI over what is recommended for my weight. I like it stiffer.

You may also consider setting the rebound so that it reacts faster.

#10 ·
BiknBob said:
I think the max is 300psi. If you haven't already, check to see how much pressure you lose when you take your pump off. When I reconnect to check, I lose about 8psi.
Well then you should set it half the amount (4psi) before taking it off because you lose 4 psi when you take it off and 4 psi when you reconnect it, for a total of 8 psi.

#11 ·
I too was pushing the O-Ring off the rear shock of my 2011 Epic Carbon Comp, adding an extra 10psi to my riding weight (dressed with Camelbak) solve this. I was riding at 10psi over my body weight and later realized that my Camelbak was another 13lbs of weight I did not account for when setting up my bike :madman:

#12 ·
Randall in NC said:
I too was pushing the O-Ring off the rear shock of my 2011 Epic Carbon Comp, adding an extra 10psi to my riding weight (dressed with Camelbak) solve this. I was riding at 10psi over my body weight and later realized that my Camelbak was another 13lbs of weight I did not account for when setting up my bike :madman:
Ummm, yeah, you're supposed to set it for RIDING weight. That would include clothes, shoes, helmet, backpack, water, etc. :D ;)

I bumped my pressure up about 10psi and didn't lose the O-ring on Sunday.

#14 ·
BiknBob said:
My 2010 Epic 29er did this. I rode it for a year and it was ok. I have had a 2011 Epic 29er for two months now and it also pushes the o-ring off the shock at 250psi (I'm 225lbs.). I did break the rear shock eye last year (Spec had a warranty shock delivered to my shop in one week flat), but I was doing 1-4ft jumps on the bike which Spec said it was not designed for. I've dialed back to no intentional jumping, just occasional air off trail bumps, which Spec said was within design parameters, and no problems.
interesting, my 4th rear shock is being shipped right now. lower eyelet hairline cracks and yes to the o ring off the shaft w/ 200psi.
that makes , 2 09 spech brain shocks and 1 2010 fox . i have no idea if the one coming will be 2011 or not.
with 5 bikes in my stable and the epic is basicaly sitting in wait for race days only., its really irritating .

#15 ·
Yeah it was one of those moments. I usually carry a single water bottle for anything under two hours and I did not think to change the air pressure once I tossed on the Camelbak for a 7 hr ride. Now I adjust the air pressure according to my body weight and the weight of gear I have to carry. My 12 hr Camelbak is about 16lbs, ouch...

#16 ·
I also run mine about 10-15 higher and shoot for closer to the 7-8mm sag (on the 8-12mm spectrum they suggest). I run my rebound about 3-4 back from full slow on the rebound, and about 2-3 back from full firm on the brain. I feel the bike is much more efficient this way. This is on an 11 Comp 29er, fwiw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.