Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    \m/ \m/

2011 Epic Expert Carbon EVO R 29er

She's showing up at the shop today!!! I'll post up some pics as we put her together tonight. First ride will be tomorrow.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Me too!

Picked mine up last night.

[IMG]140[/IMG]

Size Large. Shop said it was 25.2 lbs as pictured. Will swap out the cassette for XX, lighter post, saddle, stem, and set up the wheels tubeless and I should be under 25. Will probably do a lighter wheelset in the spring before the races start.

[IMG]141[/IMG]

While I was at the shop, another shiny red Specialized caught my eye.

[IMG]142[/IMG]

I have a big weekend planned!
    [

mtbr member
    That EVO R is sharp!

Love the Crux too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have an EVO R 29er on order, just no idea when it will show up. Nice looking, can't wait to get mine.

What is your opinion of the Reba Brain fork so far?

How is the range of the 1 x 10? I figure I will run it 1 x 10 until mid-summer when the big mtn passes open up, at which point I will probably appreciate a 2 x 10 for those long climbs.

bi-winning
    Sweet bikes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

The Other Dude
    nice rides! The EVO's sure are looking sharp this year!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    oh man, very nice boys....i am jealous!!!

more pics please!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The EVO bikes are best looking bikes I have seen from any of the big bike companies in recent memory. Cool bikes guys. Let us know how they ride!

29 TO LIFE

Why The Difference In Frames?

Why is the frame different at the junction of the top tube and seat tube on the bike pictured above a few postes back and on the bikes on Specialized website?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75
    Why is the frame different at the junction of the top tube and seat tube on the bike pictured above a few postes back and on the bikes on Specialized website?
    Different sizes. The one pictured above is a larger frame size than pictured on the Specialized site.

29 TO LIFE
    So the large and xlarge frames have a open carbon tube web and the small and medium frames use a closed monoque style lay-up process. That is strange they would make that change in manufacturing just for different sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75
    So the large and xlarge frames have a open carbon tube web and the small and medium frames use a closed monoque style lay-up process. That is strange they would make that change in manufacturing just for different sizes.
    The lay up process is the same for all frames, the molds however are slightly different. If you look closely the top tube has to stay at the same angle as it orients to the seat stays on all frame sizes for the shock to work properly. Obviously the larger frame sizes need taller seat tubes and those seat tubes need proper support so they don't break. Thus, you get a seat tube/top tube truss on the larger frames.

Doesn't seem that strange to me.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Very nice bike!!!

mtbr member
    so far, i know 2 people that have the evo 1x10. no matter what u do w/ chain guide adjusting,the chain derails.
    going to use an mrp guide and fabricate a bracket for it.
    assuming its the chain guide.
    both riders, one on a medium the other on an extra large derails chain to the outside.

mtbr member
    I just picked up my Large Epic Evo 29er 2weeks ago and I have had no issues with the stock chain guide so far. Sounds like the shop that assembled the bikes didnt adjust/setup the guide/derailleur properly.I would take the bike back to the shop and have them take a look at the guide/derailleur setup if I couldnt get it to work.

Sup
    looks like your guide is a little high
    you should have very little clearance above the chain

SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    well, the guy from south florida had his chain derail while in the race .i facebooked him since, he had it happen again. he only races his bike.
    the guy that just bought one locally ,central fl.area , had it happen on day 1 in a trail. a shop mech. was there and adjusted it.
    the weekend i went riding w/ the evo rider. this is his second day in trails on it.it derailed so many times i said lets take a look at it. in the parking lot, i adjusted it to the point that the chain links would have a slight rub.keeping in mind it derails on the outside of front chain ring, i go down the dirt road tourqing on the driveline and it derails! it pulled the guide out.i tightened it very tight as well.so i decide to try and manouver the guide back more,thinking the chain needed more of an initial guide prior to chain ring. it moved the guide to easy. didnt work.
    i asked the owner if it was derailing when getting on it hard only, he said not really.
    his 34 stock tooth ring is now seeing a couple chipped teeth from the weekend ride.we manouvered the ring so the chipped teeth would not be in the area of 1 o clock mash area of cranking.(if that makes sense)
    next step, putting on my slx derailer dmd w/ stock ring.if it fixes the situation,i am going to modify an mrp guide onto the frame.he is going to be putting on a 38 fsa dh ring up front by the weekend ..on order. i am supposed to notify the racer from s.florida on what i find out.
    odd, 2 people w/ same bike ,different sizes ,different dealers sold, same problem ,n no one else experienced this.
    *front ring seams soft/weak
    *chain if u twist w/ ur fingers ,stays were u twist it.poor chain?its not twisted.
    *guide ,little area for guiding,not enough enitial guide?
    *he will go to shop and see if derailer hanger is 100 percent perfect w/ derailer straightening tool.
    by the way, it derailed on me in hardest gear.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    so far, i know 2 people that have the evo 1x10. no matter what u do w/ chain guide adjusting,the chain derails.
    going to use an mrp guide and fabricate a bracket for it.
    assuming its the chain guide.
    both riders, one on a medium the other on an extra large derails chain to the outside.
    That sux

\m/ \m/
    This is a great bike, I love, love, love, love it! No issues with my chain guide yet (200+ miles).

I've got a set of the Roval carbon wheels on order (thank you up coming tax return)

Here's mine btw.

13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    NO MORE derailing! .....now looking for a replacement front rim .stock one tacoed baddd

mtbr member
    if you wouldn't mind stripping it down and weighing the frame for me, i'd really appreciate it. , looks good!

mtbr member
    xl w/ masterpiece post(190g.),esi grips(46g.).rotor 100mm stem,(100g.)ti time peddles(336gram),3 patches on tubes=25.8lb.
    note=1 tire 483g another 512g both stock renagades sworks.
    roval carbon wheelset will drop it 1.2lbs.=24.5lb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast