Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2011 Epic Evo R Coverted from 1x10 to 2x10

Just picked Epic Evo R from the shop. I really liked the color of this bike vs. Epic Expert, yet I wanted a 2x10 so I replaced entire drivetrain with SRAM XX (39/26) along with Hope Tech 2 brakes, Thompson Masterpiece seat post, Syntace Stem, WTB Silverado SLT saddle, Shimano XTR pedals and then added Roval carbon wheels. Yes, lots of changes, yet total weight for size large - 23.45 lbs Adding back the stock wheelset brings the bike back to 25.5 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Epic Evo R Coverted from 1x10 to 2x10-123_2306_1.jpg  

2011 Epic Evo R Coverted from 1x10 to 2x10-123_2304_1.jpg  

Last edited by seattle43; 01-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike, you certainly changed a lot right off the bat.

Mind me asking how much you paid for the wheels? feel free to pm me if you don't want to post the #.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey, thats my bike. I have both the bike and wheels ordered, plan on leaving it 1x10 but adding an XX cassette. Thanks for posting, was wondering how the red wheels would look with the white/carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Awesome, same bike I have on order and I plan to switch to 2 x 10 with XX at some point.

What is the Q-factor of that XX BB-30 crankset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Local shop has the Carbon Roval's in stock. I just upgraded my Enduro to a set of Traverse EL's and was checking out those Carbons...
    NOT for the Enduro, but simply drooling over them... Holy **** they're light! If I remember right, the shop said retail was around $1500.00

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

164 Q Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Wily
    Awesome, same bike I have on order and I plan to switch to 2 x 10 with XX at some point.

What is the Q-factor of that XX BB-30 crankset?
    Q Factor is 164. I first attempted with 156, yet too tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Weigh less than listed by Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by slvrathlon
    Local shop has the Carbon Roval's in stock. I just upgraded my Enduro to a set of Traverse EL's and was checking out those Carbons...
    NOT for the Enduro, but simply drooling over them... Holy **** they're light! If I remember right, the shop said retail was around $1500.00
    Specialized has the wheels weighing in at 1440g, yet these weighed in at 1415...the shop was amazed. The wheelset also comes with ti QR. Yes they are pricey, yet if you have purchased alot from the shop...ask for an added discount, which will minimize some of the pain. Compared to the Easton's, these are a much better deal, and yes, they look great - actually better than my Zipp Firecrest wheels, as I also race triathlons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do the wheels also come with a Ti rear axle? Also did you weigh the bike in total stock mode?

The Other Dude
    bike looks awesome man, i cant wait till i get an epic 29er!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Rear Axle Info

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    Do the wheels also come with a Ti rear axle? Also did you weigh the bike in total stock mode?
    Ti QR is only provided for the front wheel, yet they provide an additional 142+ rear axle QR - same that comes with the bike. The bike, with all original components and pedals weighed in at 26.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lighten it up even more by putting a Sram XG-1099 Cassette on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Light components

Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle
    Lighten it up even more by putting a Sram XG-1099 Cassette on it.
    Already done and with changing out the seat post and seat, I saved 185g!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    "yet I wanted a 2x10 so I replaced entire drivetrain with SRAM XX "

XG1099 cassette is XX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Seattle43, how tall are you? Noticed you have the setback seatpost with the seat shifted all the way back and the Syntace stem appears 110mm or more. I would like to order a seatpost but not sure if I need the setback or straight. Probably should wait to get the bike, not feeling a lot of patience at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Height / Weight

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    Seattle43, how tall are you? Noticed you have the setback seatpost with the seat shifted all the way back and the Syntace stem appears 110mm or more. I would like to order a seatpost but not sure if I need the setback or straight. Probably should wait to get the bike, not feeling a lot of patience at the moment.
    I am 6' & 170lbs. Stem came is a 110mm. The saddle has shorter rails so it looks like its pushed back, yet in relation to the Specialized saddle, it would sit half way on the rails.

mtbr member
    Seattle what's your inseam?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    Seattle what's your inseam?
    I am 6' / 170lbs with a 33/34 inseam~

mtbr member
    Question for the OP. All the 2011 (or what I would assume are 2011) I've looked at online don't have the triangular spaced shape where TT joints the DT like on your 2011. The pictures I've found of 2010 do though. I'm just starting to reserach the Epics, and I'm a bit confused.

Thanks!

2010 Epic Frame

2011 Epic Frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Question for the OP. All the 2011 (or what I would assume are 2011) I've looked at online don't have the triangular spaced shape where TT joints the DT like on your 2011. The pictures I've found of 2010 do though. I'm just starting to reserach the Epics, and I'm a bit confused.

Thanks!

2010 Epic Frame

2011 Epic Frame
    I think your looking at 26er frames this is a 29er. for 2011 the L and XL has the connection and the S and M don't so it just depends which frame is pictured

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I think your looking at 26er frames this is a 29er. for 2011 the L and XL has the connection and the S and M don't so it just depends which frame is pictured
    Your right, all 2010's had the split, in 2011 (to my knowledge) all 26 & 29er frames had a 1 piece for the s/m and due to the longer seatube the l/xl had the split. If that was filled in it would be allot heavier and have allot extra material
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS
    Your right, all 2010's had the split, in 2011 (to my knowledge) all 26 & 29er frames had a 1 piece for the s/m and due to the longer seatube the l/xl had the split. If that was filled in it would be allot heavier and have allot extra material
    Ok cool. It's kind of hard to tell from the Spec website what size they are showing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How strong / durable is the 1099/XX cassette? I got one for the Epic but would like to change the Enduro EVO's.

logit63
    Oct 2008

Upgrade spider?

Quote Originally Posted by seattle43
    Q Factor is 164. I first attempted with 156, yet too tight.
    I'm looking to convert mine to a 2x10 as well. Is there any other option rather than buying a new crankset? I found a Truvativ Spider for the S-Works cranks but I'm not sure it would fit on these cranks.

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by doppler
    I'm looking to convert mine to a 2x10 as well. Is there any other option rather than buying a new crankset? I found a Truvativ Spider for the S-Works cranks but I'm not sure it would fit on these cranks.
    I'm wondering the same.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Beautiful build!

Which xx front derailleur did you use? The S1 or S3?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast